Danny Gans Dies

5/1/2009 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Danny GansDanny Gans died early this morning, after a family member called 911 to say Danny was having trouble breathing. By the time paramedics arrived, he was dead.

A ticket rep at Steve Wynn's Encore hotel tells us they just got the call and the entire staff is "shocked and upset."

Gans is a legend in Las Vegas -- the self described "musical impressionist" signed a $150 million contract in 2000.

We're told Gans died at 3:00 AM at his home in Vegas. There are reports his wife discovered his body and called for help.

Gans was named "Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year" a record 11 times in a row. He did not perform last night.

Besides being a gifted entertainer, Gans was a pretty good athlete -- in fact, he was drafted by the KC Royals out of high school and played minor league ball.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned a 911 call was made by a family member at 3:44 AM for a 52-year-old man who was "having trouble breathing." By the time medics arrived, Gans had already passed away.

UPDATE: TMZ received the following statement from The Mirage, where Gans performed for years: "All of us in The Mirage family are deeply saddened to learn of Danny's passing. We all knew of his devotion to his family and our hearts and prayers are with his wife and children."

UPDATE
: Sources tell TMZ an autopsy will be performed by tomorrow. Results will be given when toxicology reports come back.

Story developing ...

Danny Gans - Launch PhotosDanny Gans video

ROD

I HAVE TICKETS TO SEE HIM THIS COMING WED NIGHT. HE WAS A COMEDIAN IN LAS VEGAS. ONE OF THE BEST IMPRESSIONISTS AS WELL. CRAZY HE JUST DIED.

.:Loki 4Ever:.

Who?? well.. sorry for your loss, those who knew him.

Alan

Sorry to hear that. I don't know much about Danny Gans, but his ubiquitous marketing presence in Las Vegas reflects a very hardworking, likely quite talented, person.

helena

I can't believe he has died!! I never knew who he was either until I saw him on Larry King not TOO long ago - he was hilarious....WOW this is a total shock. Are they even saying how he DIED?

Linda Cripe

Are you kidding me? He is one of the greatest entertainers of all time. I 've seen him twice in Vegas and he is incredible. Voices, music, impersonations, he did it all. He will be truly missed.

GBodine

Wow that is a Shocker. He was about as Close to being the New Elvis popularity Entertainer in Las Vegas. One of the Top Performers on the Strip. What a Shock...

.:Loki 4Ever:.

give it time, they'll need to do an autopsy. Probably heart attack or anuersim (sp?) either way, really sad, he was young.

Broadway Joe

Not well known outside Vegas but one of THER BEST ENTERTAINERS of all time. I had the honor of seeing him perform 4 times. He was not only about entertaining but about family and values as well. 100% clean show standing ovation EVERY time. He had offers to do just about anything in show biz but turned them down to stay close to his family. The world lost a good man. RIP Mr Gans

akeem

You people who are asking who this guy is haven't been to Vegas.
Making it obvious you don't get out much.
Here's some advice that might help:
Start simple first; try traveling somewhere outside of your town for maybe an hour. Hurry back it can be scary.
Then move up to 2 hours and so forth for 1 month.
Now you're ready to travel outside your own state...ahhhhh....it's ok, I'll hold your hand.
I know it's a scary, scary world but start with baby steps and in a year or 2 you might even make it to 2 states over!!

james

jeeez, you dumbasses who keep asking who he is: IT SAYS IT IN THE ARTICLE! He's a Vegas performer. He's on billboards everywhere up there and very popular. BTW, he looked great for 57. RIP Danny!

Gans Fan

I am a true Danny Gans fan. I have seen his show several times, and was never disappointed. He has done so much for the city of Las Vegas through charity events. Danny would put on shows for local public servants at a discounted price. He was a pilar of the Las Vegas community. He may have been a superstar in Las Vegas, but I believe in Danny's heart he was a servant to the community. He is going to be truly missed, but not forgotten. Being a man of God we can celebrate his passing knowing he is with our Father. God bless his family and I pray that God gives them peace and understanding while they go through this tough time.

The Observer

#16: Since the primary reason to travel to Vegas (not at all a slam on those who live there) is to become separated from one's hard-earned money thanks to games of chance, I am not seeing your leap of logic suggesting that those who haven't been to Vegas don't get out much. I try to remain attached to my hard-earned money, which is why I stay AWAY from Vegas.

K

He was one of the most popular shows here in Vegas. I am shocked at his death. He was so young. Only 52. We haven't heard cause of death though.

RIP Danny, the Man of Many Voices

Inny

Did someone make him an offer...

he refused?

Lenn K.

WOW HE WAS AT THE TOP OF HIS GAME AND SO YOUNG.....I AM VERY SAD FOR THE FAMILY AND MY PRAYERS ARE WITH YOU....