Danny Gans Dies

5/1/2009 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Danny GansDanny Gans died early this morning, after a family member called 911 to say Danny was having trouble breathing. By the time paramedics arrived, he was dead.

A ticket rep at Steve Wynn's Encore hotel tells us they just got the call and the entire staff is "shocked and upset."

Gans is a legend in Las Vegas -- the self described "musical impressionist" signed a $150 million contract in 2000.

We're told Gans died at 3:00 AM at his home in Vegas. There are reports his wife discovered his body and called for help.

Gans was named "Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year" a record 11 times in a row. He did not perform last night.

Besides being a gifted entertainer, Gans was a pretty good athlete -- in fact, he was drafted by the KC Royals out of high school and played minor league ball.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned a 911 call was made by a family member at 3:44 AM for a 52-year-old man who was "having trouble breathing." By the time medics arrived, Gans had already passed away.

UPDATE: TMZ received the following statement from The Mirage, where Gans performed for years: "All of us in The Mirage family are deeply saddened to learn of Danny's passing. We all knew of his devotion to his family and our hearts and prayers are with his wife and children."

UPDATE
: Sources tell TMZ an autopsy will be performed by tomorrow. Results will be given when toxicology reports come back.

Story developing ...

Danny Gans - Launch PhotosDanny Gans video

greeneyedlass

#15 There is no need to be insulting to people who haven't heard of this guy. FYI, I've not only been out of my own state...I've been all over the world (didn't need you to hold my hand either) and I've never heard of this guy. You know who he is...good for you. Believe it or not though, there ARE people...who are well travelled...who don't frequent Vegas.

Laurie

Our Local News Media here in Las Vegas could barely keep it together when they broke the news..
and when they break in with updates you can tell they've been crying...

Trav in Vegas

Fellow vegas guy here, and turned on the news and I am in shock. He is very well known not only for his shows but also his charitable contributions across the city. It will be a long time before Vegas finds another one like him. He was a legend, winning entertainer of the year, 11 years in a row. Wonder whos going to be next? First "Gondo" now Danny Gans.

FiBiker

I'D BE INVESTIGATING THE WIFE AND DOING AN AUTOPSY ON HIM AND CHECKING FOR POISONS IN HIS SYSTEM..

ALSO LOOK CLOSELY AT THE PILLOWS ON HIS BED FOR HIS DNA DROOL AS SHE COULD HAVE ALSO SMOTHERED HIM WHILE HE WAS HIGH ON DRUGS..

JUSST SAYIN

Dave In Tulsa

I didnt see his show when I was in Vegas, but I saw him on Larry King. He was extremely talented as a singer, and an impresionist. He wanted to stay off the road for the sake of his family. He was truly a nice guy. What a loss for his family.

enuf

Forgive my ignorance, but I don't know who he is either. Sounds like he was a fabulous entertainer though-sorry I missed out.

Janelle

Wow. I had no idea who this guy was, but I got a postcard in the mail yesterday from a friend in Vegas, On the bottom right of the postcard is The Mirage w/Danny Gans on the big screen out front. Kinda creepy,

Choppy McButtstink

This really sucks! He was a fantastic talent. Shocking....

gurlsnguns

That's sad, even though I don't know who he is. Hope he didn't have the H1N1 flu!

Jerry Marshall

I went to High School with Danny. We grew up in Torrance, graduates of Torrance High. He was among the Marble Estates group that we all partied with; but not as much as Bynum, Puland, Murdoch, crowd. He will be sorely missed. I regret never seeing his act in Vegas.

Trisha

Not only was Danny Ganz a talented performer, He was a kind, and generous person. My 17 year old daughter has been fighting pancreatic cancer for 3 years. Over the course of that time, we have watched Mr. Gans volunteer many, many hours to raise funds and awareness for pediatric cancer. He also did many food drives for the needy. Around the holidays, he would do his shows at a discounted rate to anyone who would donate cans of food. He would collect Semi trucks FULL of food-he was affectionately called Danny "CANS". He did everything he could to help everyone around him. He will be sorely missed.

Connie

OMG...I've seen Danny Gans several times in Vegas - best show ever - even my teenage daughters loved his show...he was a great entertainer...talented, funny and handsome. My heart goes out to his family.

PurpleSmurf

Who?

Bex

Nobody knows who this guy is, unless you are a loser with no education working in a casino, or a tourist with no culture to go anywhere cool. Please post story's about famous people, please.

JnGalt52

Blows me away. Planned to go to his show next month. So highly recommended as the show to see. So sad for his family.