Danny Gans Dies

5/1/2009 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Danny GansDanny Gans died early this morning, after a family member called 911 to say Danny was having trouble breathing. By the time paramedics arrived, he was dead.

A ticket rep at Steve Wynn's Encore hotel tells us they just got the call and the entire staff is "shocked and upset."

Gans is a legend in Las Vegas -- the self described "musical impressionist" signed a $150 million contract in 2000.

We're told Gans died at 3:00 AM at his home in Vegas. There are reports his wife discovered his body and called for help.

Gans was named "Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year" a record 11 times in a row. He did not perform last night.

Besides being a gifted entertainer, Gans was a pretty good athlete -- in fact, he was drafted by the KC Royals out of high school and played minor league ball.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned a 911 call was made by a family member at 3:44 AM for a 52-year-old man who was "having trouble breathing." By the time medics arrived, Gans had already passed away.

UPDATE: TMZ received the following statement from The Mirage, where Gans performed for years: "All of us in The Mirage family are deeply saddened to learn of Danny's passing. We all knew of his devotion to his family and our hearts and prayers are with his wife and children."

UPDATE
: Sources tell TMZ an autopsy will be performed by tomorrow. Results will be given when toxicology reports come back.

Story developing ...

Danny Gans - Launch PhotosDanny Gans video

Eliza

We first saw Danny Gans perform about 25 years ago before he was famous, at a small business meeting in Florida. He was truly a gifted performer - have seen him several times since in Las Vegas. He also was a wonderful family man and generous to Las Vegas a city he loved. It is so tragic.

The Observer

Tara, unfortunately for me I was last in Vegas in 2000. Lost a grand at the blackjack tables and learned a hard lesson that I never wanted to repeat. As for getting out more often, you'd be surprised how much getting out one does when one owns a small airplane. Okay, maybe not the world, but certainly the 48 contiguous and Canada.

Miss Donna

Very sad news. My husband and I had tickets twice to see him perform at the Mirage, probably about seven and eight years ago. Both times the shows were cancelled at the last minute because of illness the first time and I think surgery the second time. We never did buy tickets again but I really regret never seeing his show. It sounds like he was a wonderful person as well and that's more important than how great of an entertainer he was. I know he will be greatly missed. Prays go out to his family and friends.

pat

all the money in the world and he is dead i'm flat broke and alive praise God

RACHEL

RANDOM DEATHS KEEP HAPPENIN... WRLDS COMIN TO AN END.. TKN EVRYONE ONE BY ONE!!

Brad

aids maybe? he was gay

in the know

An old friend of mine is his neighbor. He literally lives right next to him. From everything my friend experienced, he was extremely devoted to his family and work. He chatted with him often outside. My heart goes out to his loved ones.

Reta

Looks like he might've died of Botox Poisoning from the looks of that photo on the left...EWWWW... just NO charactor in his face whatsoever, what is WRONG with people voluntarily doing this to themselves?

Mike P

Danny Gans was charitable, spiritual regular guy and Oh yea one of the greatest entertainors to ever be on the strip in LV

richie

My wife and I saw him years ago. Very funny guy, shame he has passed.

Deb

Just saw Danny Gans perform 1 week ago. He was amazing. You could tell he loved what he did and loved his family. He mentioned his wife & kids. ...He was very proud of them. He will be missed by all who knew him. I am blessed to have seen him perform. God Bless him and his family

Jay Lindsay

What a tragic loss! I caught his show just last week while in Las Vegas and was most impressed with his amazing talent. At the time I rated the show in the top five I've ever seen in Vegas ... and I've seen many over the years. My heart goes out to his family, friends and fans.

Sandy Underpants

From how they described it, it really sounds like he swallowed too much semen. I've seen it happen personally, and the TMZ staff has lost many loved ones to such an over-ingestion, but it goes with the territory.

Nia

People who come here to say that they don't know who he is, or just to say something mean, nasty and disrespectful about the newly departed. So you basically care less about other peoples suffering? (namely his children) What a waste of the obviously over abundant time on your hands. This is really the BEST you could come up with to fill the empty void in your lives? Really? People like you boggle the sane mind. I'd say shame on you but by your comments that would mean absolutely nothing to you, The rest of us, I guess, just have to pray that extremely bitter and very unhappy people like yourselves, stay confined behind your keyboards where you can do no real damage. WOW!

REM II

I am just in shock over the sudden death of Danny Gans. My best friend here in Vegas is Danny's piano player. It's a very sad time for so many of us in Las Vegas.