Danny Gans Dies

5/1/2009 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Danny GansDanny Gans died early this morning, after a family member called 911 to say Danny was having trouble breathing. By the time paramedics arrived, he was dead.

A ticket rep at Steve Wynn's Encore hotel tells us they just got the call and the entire staff is "shocked and upset."

Gans is a legend in Las Vegas -- the self described "musical impressionist" signed a $150 million contract in 2000.

We're told Gans died at 3:00 AM at his home in Vegas. There are reports his wife discovered his body and called for help.

Gans was named "Las Vegas Entertainer of the Year" a record 11 times in a row. He did not perform last night.

Besides being a gifted entertainer, Gans was a pretty good athlete -- in fact, he was drafted by the KC Royals out of high school and played minor league ball.

UPDATE: TMZ has learned a 911 call was made by a family member at 3:44 AM for a 52-year-old man who was "having trouble breathing." By the time medics arrived, Gans had already passed away.

UPDATE: TMZ received the following statement from The Mirage, where Gans performed for years: "All of us in The Mirage family are deeply saddened to learn of Danny's passing. We all knew of his devotion to his family and our hearts and prayers are with his wife and children."

UPDATE
: Sources tell TMZ an autopsy will be performed by tomorrow. Results will be given when toxicology reports come back.

Story developing ...

Danny Gans - Launch PhotosDanny Gans video

Suzanne

Danny Gans was not only a very gift entertainer, singer, dancer, impressionist, but a very, very generous soul to many charities in Las Vegas and Nevada. While he enjoyed years of sold out crowds at his shows on The Strip, he was also known as a loving family man, who in Sin City, really had his priorities straight. Extremely benevolent and giving of his time and talents. After seeing him in Las Vegas, I was surprised, too, that he was not more well known nationwide. His impressions of George Burns, Dean Martin and even Garth Brooks were incredible; a wide range of characters that all ages were able to enjoy. Deepest sympathy to his family, many friends, and extended family in Las Vegas.

1969 days ago

Practical

I am so shocked. My husband and I just saw him in Vegas Saturday night, it must have been one of his last performances.

He was absolutely wonderful and so very talented. I was extremely impressed by the fact that his personal life was clean and he was so giving to the different children's charities.

1969 days ago

Sue

I was shocked and saddened to hear of Danny's death. My husband and I saw his show in Vegas and he was a fantastic entertainer. My heart goes out to his wife and family. Sue

1969 days ago

who has the facts? ME

There are celebrities and there are entertainers...
Danny Gans was an ENTERTAINER - he wasn't in it for celebrity. He was a fantastic talent, family man and philathropist and he will be missed.
Life isn't fair.

1969 days ago

Bill Fineout

I am not sure how he died but I had a massive heart attack in Nov 08 and my brother performed CPR on me and kept me alive until the EMT's took over. The hospital contributes the saving of my life to my brother and I wake up every morning and thank him If you love your wife, husband, kids or friends, I urge you to go to a class on CPR. It may save a loved ones life some day.

1969 days ago

sherlock

My prayers go out to the entire Gans Family. He was the ultimate entertainer. Danny you will truly be missed.

1969 days ago

Billypit

Been to Vegas three times, and never been able to get tickets for this guy. Danny in totally unknown here in the UK, but everyone in Vegas told us to go see him !! Bear in mind, most people in the UK haven't heard of Siegfried & Roy either, but glad we got a chance to see them in action. Vegas is a world of entertainment all on it's own, so if an act hits the big time there, why would they need to go elsewhere. Hardly surprising a lot of people haven't heard of him. All I can say is that sell-out shows every night (for months in advance) and a $150 million contract under his belt, he must have been pretty awesome.
It's always sad when great entertainer pass. Mostly they live for their music, comedy and entertaining the public. In these depressed times we need all the laughter we can get !! Even sadder when idiots use these forums to make sick jokes or jibes at people they know nothing about !!
Bless you Danny for all the smiles you have put on the faces of your fans, and love and hugs to your family at this very sad time......

1969 days ago

KerryBee

Although not all people are familiar with Danny Gans--remembering the Golden Rule is far more appropriate and compassionate than making snide and/or crude remarks. My prayers continue for his family and all of those who were privileged to know him.

1969 days ago

Pommie Mommie

We were given tickets to his show and we said the same thing....who? He ended up being the most incrdible enmtertainer we had ever seen! He was phenomenal. I personally left the show with the most unbelievable "WOW" feeling I had ever had. Such a loss for us all and for his family. May be rest in peace, Danny. You geve me the night of my life.

1969 days ago

Pommie Mommie

And for anyone who had seen him at teh Mirage, he did the most phenomenal Sammy Davis impression of him singing "Mr. Bojangles"... am I right, people? Took my breath away.

1969 days ago

Interracial facial

This guy with such immense talent, was a victim of his addiction to the spotlight. He was a workaholic entertainer. In the good old days, most oldtimers and legends did Vegas for two week engagements or seasonal gigs at best. But this guy was a constant headliner for the past dozen years. The cause of death on his death certificate should read: showbiz. For folks who think that showbiz ain't real work, his tragic passing is a wakeup call that life is too short to spend it all on stage.

1969 days ago

Mark 12345

i lived in vegas last year for 8 months, the only time i was ever there..during that time i went to see danny perform 5 times...
he was an unbelievably talented performer, and with his live band behind him and interacting with him, he put on a show that was astonishing an mesmerizing and unique....he sang tons of beloved songs where you'd think the original artist was right there and often dressed and acted and just like them, as in Sammy Davis, Jr. and Michael jackson for instance, and his comedy and impressions of celebrities altogether made for a wonderfully entertaining evening that made you walk out of there with a smile and feeling better about your life...THAT'S WHO DANNY GANS WAS....i am so grateful i was there to experience it live many times......

1968 days ago

JenInNC

We had never heard of Danny Gans either, until we went to a show last year and were blown away by this guy. Since then I have recommended his show to anyone headed for LV. It was one of the best live entertainments we've ever seen. To those who are posting allusions to drugs or "death from loving the spotlight" - Believe it or not, there is such a thing as a good man who is excellent at what he does. Danny Gans was one of those, and does not deserve your denigrating, ignorant, low-class posts. RIP and deepest condolences to his family.

1968 days ago

hotpa2d

What is wrong with some of you people that you feel compelled to leave nasty, immature comments. Do you really need attention that bad?!?

Rest in Peace Danny, Vegas loves you!! Thanks for the memories.

1968 days ago

Trey Noran

Danny, you will be deeply missed. Met Danny Through Cher and always seen a smile on his face. God keep you. Your friend Trey Noran

1968 days ago