Carrie Prejean -- The Origin of Homophobia

5/7/2009 1:37 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Carrie PrejeanSo how does a beauty queen turn into the poster child against gay marriage? In the case of Miss California Carrie Prejean, the answer may lie in an ugly divorce that may have cemented her views on gay relationships.

Carrie's parents filed for divorce in 1988 and the divorce and custody fights went on for more than a decade -- it was a divorce filled with homosexual allegations hurled by both sides.

In one of the docs, Carrie's dad describes a confrontation he had with her mom in 1996, in which he recounts an argument in a restaurant parking lot, where "Ms. Prejean accused me, in front of our daughter, of homosexuality."

The papers also quote a court-appointed doctor who said "The mother questioned [within hearing of the girls] whether [her father] was a homosexual or had a homosexual roommate."

Carrie's mom says the "gay" allegations went both ways. In court papers dated May 16, 2000, a report from the court-appointed counselor says "The mother also alleges the father told the girls their stepfather was gay, that all men with mustaches are gay." The father's response: "The father acknowledges talking with the girls about the stepfather's brother being gay, not the stepfather."

Launch PhotosAlso in the docs -- a handwritten letter from Carrie's older sister, in which she recounts a weekend stay with her dad: "One time my sister & I went in the hallway of my dad's apartment, & his roommate's door was open all the way & we saw [the roommate] in bed with another man. I don't think it's right for my sister & I to have to live that way."

So does Carrie believe gays broke up her parents' marriage? We called her rep ... no comment so far. We could not reach Carrie's dad for comment.

For the record, there are other allegations -- absolutely hideous -- in the divorce and custody papers -- which we have elected not to publish.

concerned

This is just sad! If this is true TMZ just puts out this young girls mental abuse out there for all to ridicule! I am with number 8 I was shocked to hear TMZ held back some info. What the mony wasn't right? Is there no one on that staff with an ounce of morals? We all Love the gossip and the trash talk but when you know there is some type of ABUSE and some I am sure those records don't show don't you have any ethics? Just disgusting!

superchunk

oh yuck. she is right to be sickend by this behavior. makes me puke when
I see two dudes even holding hands.

kinga

Why did my comment against Harvey get deleted like I said I don't care for the girl but whats the deal with all the dang skeletons released about this girl life she not perfect I think the Nude Pics made this abundantly clear?

Jayla

Why must there be a back story for her to be against gay marriage? Most of the country is....OK, I know why, because backstories are juicy.
Ummmmm, it's ridiculous that the gubment is involved in marriages in the first place, heterosexual or otherwise...Spiritual marriages would be well good enough if they were recognized through precedents in the court system, where lawsuits could determine divorce, wills can be administered, power of atty. conferred, custody established, etc, etc......And we're paying tax dollars to be married......Speaking of tax dollars, if we adopted a fair tax, no one would have to worry about their hetero/homo/poly marriage status on their tax returns, either. Why would the government need to recognize any of our marriages, it's none of their business. That's the most Consitutional reason that Prop 8 should have been kicked out the door on its ass.

celebutaunter77

I used to be friends with ALOT of gay people, but ever since thier "agenda" took over thier lives, we are no longer friends. Gay people made me hate to be around gay people. Every discussion, every day, all the time. I just wanted to get togather for a beer, and they end up pissed because I won't march in thier parade. They expect me to tolerate thier beliefs, and if I disagree, I am "homophobic". I guess if they can't tolerate my belief, that same sex "relations" are wrong, then I guess that makes them "hederophobic".
Yep, I like that word, I will use it often from now on, I encourage others to do the same.

janet

tick tick tick TMZ I think your letting her 15 min run a little long this is boring now!

Ugly People Suck!

She took a stand that a majority of Californians did as well against gay marriage and now she's being treated like some sort of monster.

faithful

The bible teaches against homosexuality. It is not a fear of homosexuals, it is following God's word. I am glad the issue is out there to discuss, it shows the intolerance of people who accuse other people of being intolerant because of their belief.

SickofTMZ

Would you please leave this woman alone already? But Harvey we know why you like to wave the "Gay Flag", huh? Just sayin!

PurpleSmurf

Well, that explains a lot. Poor girl. She needs to sit on my lap so I could give her some counseling. I love hot girls that are screwed in the head.

PurpleSmurf

lol@ louis thinking that if she/he leaves that somehow TMZ is gonna feel butthurt.

Jim Marsh

The attacks on this women are casting a very bad light on the people who want acceptance and inclusion. People have a right to their own opinion and because of these attacks I will NEVER support gay marriage and I will try to persuade others not to also.

boredatwork

It's clear from your biased coverage on this and I'm just guessing you got a few of your homo's all over this on attack mode.

celebutaunter77

lol@PurpleSmurf~ You said "butthurt". (Insert Beavis/Butthead laugh here).

Jake

Wow American people are brutal....just brutal, all of you give your heads a shake.