Suspect Identified in Dolla Murder

5/18/2009 11:17 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

DollaA man has been arrested in connection with the shooting death of rapper Dolla -- we've learned he goes by the name Aubrey Berry.

Here's what went down. Sources say after the shooting, the LAPD put out an alert that the suspect may have fled to the Los Angeles International Airport in an attempt to fly out of the city.

LAX police spotted a man who matched the description, sitting in the lobby area of Terminal 1. Cops approached Berry and almost immediately he said he knew why cops were there and then raised his hands and told them he had a 9 millimeter handgun in his waistband.

Berry (we have not confirmed if this is his legal name or an alias) -- a 23-year-old African American male -- was taken into custody.

Party 'till you die!

Hey preacher, not everyone wants to hear you religious diatribe here! And you're the bigot, evidently! Not all rap is bad either. Even people like 2Pac, who you would completely dismiss with your religious diarrhea, has some very positive songs. 'Keep Ya Head Up' is all about respect for women. There is lots of other rap out there that is really good and positive, like Matisyahu-a Hasidic Jewish rapper with an excellent message of peace and mutual respect, something you probably wouldn't return. Or even variations, like Maxi Jazz from Faithless. While more of a dance/electronica group, he has some some serious flow and is an incredibly intelligent man and a learned philosopher. Public Enemy is a brave, in your face band, that is all about changing social injustice and righting wrongs through positive ways! they push to change things and not to destroy!
I may not like some of the purely violent rap out there, but it is not alone in it's depiction of violence. Rock, Blues, Country, and even Classical has lots of violent imagery! Rap is often the only form some people have of expressing their dire situations that are often ignored by the likes of you! Some of it is very profound and deeply thought out poetry put to a beat by people with real talent! But someone like you wouldn't know that and would condemn it as a whole with your religious bigotry. I honestly don't have a clue who this person was, or why he died and anything about his music, but I won't judge, like you would, until I know more of what happened. Maybe he started down a bad road and paid the price for it, or maybe not. Im not even a huge rap fan, but there is much of it I appreciate and many of the times the message and mission is not lost on me. But a religious fanatic like you is quick to judge and condemn something you obviously have no clue about! I'm just grateful I do not partake of the religious bigotry and close mindedness of someone like you! The scary thing is, I bet you'll never be willing to listen to reason and will forever have a closed, shallow mind! People like you are the ones who give religion a bad name!

Now what now?

Totally ridiculous and senseless. What is wrong with these people? Why? Now he is going to prison and probably death row for life and a young man is dead for nothing. Like really, what is wrong with these people?

Dylan Saint-Saëns (jacobguay@gmail.com)

The Black kid from 'Degrassi: The Next Generation' shot and killed an fledling Black rapper? TRAGIC messed up!

"Jimmy Brooks" won't be graduating this season, I take it! O.o

Courage

Who are these alleged "rappers" anyway? Never heard of any of them. Probably just gang bangers who are "turining their lives around." Yeah, right.

anunnaki30

this is what i'm afraid of. my son is working so hard on his career on becoming the next big thing. and if this is what our young kids are looking forward too. i wonder is it worth it. i love my son so much and he also is 21. just turned feb. 7. and i stand behind him and support him. but i lose a lot of sleep. and i try to talk to him everyday.my heart goes out to family with prayer. God has a plan for this young man. and he certainly made his mark on this planet. this is truly black on black crime. with us as a black race. know wonder we here nothing about the KKK anymore. because they just sit back and watch us kill ourselves. this is just so sad.(wake up people). what's going on here. there is know reason for this to have happen.what ever happen to us fearing our GOD. with his commandment. where in the hell are the kids getting these guns from. we all understand where TI coming from. he's going to be sitting around in jail saying i told you so. we should put the guns down. and show love for one another. this just breaks my heart. i love you all. be kind you never know when you are entertaining a angel. keep eyes open.GOD say don't be a sleep when i come.my prayers sign a mother.

STFU TMZ YOU ARE IDIOTS

I live near Atlanta, I need to get out more I had never heard of him. RIP.

cocoman

one thug killin nother thug 2 off da streets.

Be Original

Sad story. I don't know who this guy is, but I'm sooo tired of hearing stories like this. Note to TMZ, was there really a need to state "Berry (we have not confirmed if this is his legal name or an alias) -- A 20-year-old AFRICAN AMERICAN MALE-- was taken into custody." Was this done to make sure your readers know that the suspect wasn't WHITE??? LOL, gotta love it! I guess b/c his name is Aubery and not Dequan, you needed to clear up that notion. Him being black has nothing to do w/the story. It doesn't shed any light on solving the case.

STFU TMZ YOU ARE IDIOTS

TY Nnahh for clearing that up. I thought teardrops meant you saw death. And then I saw what someone said and I was wondering , now I will always know!

London not England

WAKE UP BLACK PEOPLE.!!!!!!! You are witnessing the END of an ERA, or at least it SHOULD BE ending!~!
YOU young brothas with your "hats turned to the side, pants falliing down below your butt cracks, OVER-SIZE clothes...!!! WAKE -THE-HELL-UP~!~!~! We HAVE A BLACK PRESIDENT NOW....WE HAVE THE RIGHT AND OPPORTUNITY TO GET AN EDUCATION!!!! Two things that your great grandparents thought they'd NEVER see in their lifetimes, and most of them DID NOT! ESPECIALLY IF THEY WERE FROM ATLANTA GEORGIA!~!~! PULL YO "F'n" Pants UP, GO TO SCHOOL, COLLEGE, TRADE SCHOOL.....
GO TO THE BEVERLY CENTER AND BUY SOME "CLOTHES" THAT FIT YOU FROM THE GAP, OR BANANA REPUBLIC AND GET A CAREER IN SOMETHING OTHER THAN RAP MUSIC.....YO-MTV RAPS ended almost 20 years ago....that "FAD" is finished....along with BIG AFRO's AND BLACK EXPLOITATION FILMS.......!~!! HELL, EVEN SEAN "PUFFY" COMBS GOT the MESSAGE and relaized it is better to LOOK like a MOGUL, than to DRESS like a Hoodlum!!!! YOU MORONS!~!~ WAKE THE HELL UP!!!! THEY WON'T LET US HAVE THIS OPPORTUNITY AGAIN, SO TAKE ADVANTAGE OF IT !!!!

Tattoo Vampire

These guys want to live the thug life; well, thugs get shot. cRap isn't a musical art form anyhow.

chelly12

I agree with OGRE. They said the suspect that SHOT DOLLA went by the NAME Aubrey BERRY. Then it said Dolla who real name is Roderick. Reading is fundamental. The whole story was about the SUSPECT they ARRESTED. RIP DOLLA.

Ms Boss Lady

That is a damn shame. What could of been that bad to take this young mans life? Now with the teardrop under his eye meaning he may have killed in the pass then he should of been locked up but apparently that was not the case. Some low life idiot had to take a young in's life. Hell that could of been my son. Maybe I need to pack us up and leave LA. But this can happen anywhere, you can't run from it. And the Beverly Center...Damnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn where can you shop and be safe...Nowhere???

***RIP***

Lisa

It's really hard for me to feel bad for him when he has a teardrop tattooed under his eye. Yes, this is a gang related symbol meaning he has killed someone.

jaelee(R.I.P. DOLLA)

I'M AM VERY HURT ABOUT DOLLA'S DEATH HE WAS A VERY TALENTED RAPPER AND 1 OF MY FAVORITES
IF YOULISTEN TO HIS SONG "GEORGIA NIGHTS " IT'S KINDA SCARY LIKE HE KNEW IT WAS BOUND TO HAPPEN I LIKE THE SONG BUT IT'S CREEPYJUST LISTEN TO IT BUT MY CONDOLENCE GOES OUT TO HIS FAMILY AND KONVICT RECORDS FOR DOLLA MUCH RESPECT. R.I.P DOLLA =`[