Clay Aiken Shreds 'Idol' -- Can't Stand the Posers

5/22/2009 7:00 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Clay AikenYou're not a true ex-"American Idol" contestant unless you bash the show that made you famous.

Clay Aiken took to his personal website (available to view for the low, low price of $29.95/year) to rip "Idol" and its king of glam runner-up Adam Lambert. As Gawker pointed out, despite only hearing Lambert sing once, Aiken claimed he thought his "ears would bleed" when he belted out "Ring of Fire." Pot, perhaps you've met kettle?

Then Aiken played the "it was better back in my day" card and wrote, "The show was different then, and folks made it in seasons 1-3 because they were 'real' people who happened to sing/entertain well. But, somewhere along the way, AI stopped being about real people."

Anne

Well, I gotta agree with Clay. Adam makes MY ears bleed, too. Why is it that all over the internet folks are saying the same thing that Clay is, but HE is the one who gets blasted for expressing an opinion? The man must STILL be awfully powerful if so many people are hanging on his every word.

1947 days ago

Lynn

This can prepare Adam for what is to come..he needs to acquire thick skin..just ask Clay!

1947 days ago

big joe

i can't wait until he goes broke .

Carol

"Note to Clay -- real people don't charge other real people $29.95/year to access their website. "

Stop lying, TMZ! All official fan clubs charge for membership. And here's the point Clay was making:

"I think many voters got sick of being “told who to vote for”. I think many were turned off by the blatant favoritism shown towards one contestant. Therefore, on that last night, they used their votes against a contestant that they were tired of hearing about and for the contestant who had been written off. And, at the same time, I think they voted AGAINST an American Idol that has, for four years now, been more about the slick productions and polished contestants than it has been about finding the raw talent that it did in its first three seasons.

Those votes for Kris were also votes to return the show to its roots of finding “real” contestants with undiscovered talent and giving them the chance to grow and shine. They were votes that said “we’re tired of seeing contestants who already seem to know it all”."

Mariam

I guess many people agreed with Clay Aiken, Adam makes my ears bleed too.

jade

What part of clay is real? The make over, the artificially inseminated baby, the blue contacts, the FIVE-years-to-long-to-come out-of-the-closet-moment? I mean really? He really thinks anything about him has been real since his american idol days?
But out of everything in this article the part that really shocks me is.. who the hell is paying for access to his website?
I think it's about time they all come out of the closet too!!

celebutaunter77

Awe, how cute, he's gotta a crush on Adam!

gross.

Ms. X

The fact that Clay charges $29.99 is not the issue; the fact that some people pay him $29.99 is.

RedRiverGirl

Personally, I use to love the Idol. Though as the years went by, they are getting more commercial than ever. I think Santa would be a very good contestant.Probably Win hands down. Now really, I always love the underdog, but the best one ever ( if it was done right) was Rueben. Don:t everyone just love the real Rueben. He did not care to admit that he could nopt wait to get back to his motel room and eat and play his Nintendo games. That is and was a real person. Unfortunately I do not see to much of Rueben anymore. Maybe it has something to do with me staying away from T V. i AM GETTING on with my own life now and it does not include watching other people live theirs. I realyzed I have a very interesting life to live, and I am living it now. Look I am almost middle age and just learned the computers and love them. So can any other out there. Not just American Idols.Though I have an admiration for them, if its honest.

Scriptstar

Put Clay against Adam and Adam will kill him every time. Adam is current, Adam is happening, Adam is all that. No matter what he does, Adam has a future in the music industry. There are too many higher ups that love him and would love to help him. He is the best thing that has come out of AI in a long time. To me, Clay is a has-been. His time is over. He needs to go sit down somewhere. Adam rocks!!

Nanci

Hater!!! Loser!!! In the world of talent, Mr. Aiken......Adam Lambert is top shelf....you my dear are some where in the middle! Adam has more talent in his pinky fingers then you have in your whole body! Maybe you best get back to learning your trade and stay off the net!

Anna

You went for the dirt and completely missed what Clay is saying. You took all of these quotes out of context. His point was that the judges pimped Adam from day one. They featured him, glamourized him, and shoved him down our throats. Furthermore, their dismissive and patronizing attitude and behavior toward Kris was truly insulting. Clay pointed out that when it comes to the finals, many people vote against a performer rather than for one. While many people did indeed vote for Kris because they like him, others definitely voted because they are sick to death of the judges telling everyone how to vote. Seriously, Clay Aiken owes Idol nothing. He has been gracious and grateful for years, and they have done nothing but trash him. The story about his getting tossed out of the Idol studio was pure fiction. It did not happen. Why would he want to meet Adam? They are two entirely different types of performers. If I were Clay, I'd be completely disgusted that such lies had been told about me. No wonder he spoke out. I agree with him completely. Speak your mind, Clay. You are entitled to do so.

molly

Aiken's 15 minutes expired a long time ago. He needs to shut up and go work the drive-through at Burger King like a good former American Idol wannabe.

Not standing still

My thoughts on "Ring of Fire" were the same as Clay's. Even worse on "country night" was "Walking After Midnight" by the tattooed blonde.

joanie