Billy Bob's Daughter

Charged in Death of Baby

6/1/2009 2:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0530_billy_bob_thornton_mug_ex-1We've learned the oldest daughter of Billy Bob Thornton has been charged with child neglect in the death of a 1-year-old she was babysitting.

Amanda Brumfield told cops the child died in October after falling from her playpen, but a spokesman for the Ocoee Police Department said Amanda Brumfield's story didn't add up.

An autopsy determined the child suffered a fractured skull and a subdural hematoma due to blunt trauma.

Brumfield told police that after the baby had fallen, she discovered her tongue bleeding, so Brumfield cleaned it with a paper towel. She then says she began playing with the child, feeding her bananas and fruit snacks, and said she was "happy" and playful.

Brumfield then said she laid the child on the couch next to her and fell asleep. She says was awoken sometime later by the phone and decided to take the child back to the playpen. When she lifted her, Brumfield told cops she discovered her body was limp.

According to police, the call for help didn't come until two and a half hours after the original fall.

Brumfield is Thornton's child with his first wife, Melissa Gatlin.

UPDATE -- A rep for Thornton sent TMZ this statement: "Mr. Thornton is estranged from Amanda and has had no contact with her for quite some time, however when informed about this situation he commented that, 'Anytime a baby's life is lost is an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones.'"

rachelle

It happened in October??? Our justice system is sure slow. Where have the parents been all this time?

1918 days ago

myt23

Oh well, it must be because of my background. Social services will probably do an investiagion to see if it was abuse, but if a kid fell and his/her tongue was bleeding afterwards, there must have been some head trauma. Thats why I was thinking she should have called for help. Maybe she didn't know. I don't know that. Thats why they do child abuse investigations. Especially when the parents or whoever's story doesn't match the injury.

1918 days ago

KELC

So sad!!

1918 days ago

Ugh

You are so quick to judge! INNOCENT until proven guilty! GOD FORBID any of you be faced with this charge...She is in a bad place and doesn't need you judging.

myt23

#11 must be in reference to my comment. I meant if a kid fell on his head (I don't know if it is his head cuz I wasn't there) and his tongue was bleeding afterwards. . I seriously doubt tongue biting (maybe unless you bit it really hard -still doubt cuz haven't seen that happen to often) would cause it to bleed anyways. Subdural hematomas is often seen in child abuse. It could have been a falling accident. I don't know. Thats why they do investigations. Although I haven't heard of a tongue bleeding, bleeding from the nose and ears occurs in basillar skull fractures. I don't know. I'm makeing guesses from what info tmz gave.

Hannara

I think it's sad that everyone keeps saying they hate this girl just because of who her father is. Nobody chooses who their dad is. Focus on the story, not Billy Bob. People are saying things like, " They're both white trash," but as far as I know, I've never met this chick and neither have most on you I'm sure. So how can anyone say what kind of person she is? Maybe she's nothing like her dad. And blunt force head trama can occor from a fall, I see nothing weird about that. The only thing she was really guilty of it seems was making a bad judement call by thinking it was not that bad. I feel horrible for the parents and the girl, this was not murder, it looks to me like a tragic accident.

Joanne

So what was Billy Bob's daughter doing babysitting? And was she paid for it? If so, why would the daughter of a famous actor be working as a babysitter when her red neck daddy is whooping it up in Hollywood! Oh, could he be a dead beat daddy??? Sounds like there's two tragedys' in this story!

rachelle

#22 - His daughter, Amnda is over 35 years old and hasn't spoken to her father in years. Why would he owe child support on a woman that age>>>

xcalibur

THORTON'S STATEMENT IS BASICALLY SAYING DON'T BOTHER ME, I DON'T KNOW HER.. NOT MY PROBLEM. GET LOST. PRETTY MUCH SUMS IT UP. AGREE, BILLY BOB WAS PROLLY A DEAD BEAT DAD.

sushi

The statement of a loving father. He's more worried about his image than the fact that his daughter is in a pile of trouble.

Joanne

Hey #22 - Marilyn....where the hell does it say anything about child support in my post! What I'm suggesting is - regardless of age, if you're a parent and rolling in it and you have a daughter making a living by babysitting then you should be ashamed of yourself - no exceptions! If he was helping with $$$ then maybe this wouldn't have happened!

sunnie

This is sad.
It's hard to know what to think. The actress, Miranda Richardson, died several hours after what was described as a "minor" fall on a ski slope.
She said she felt "fine" and joked around and shrugged it off. But then later, she was taken to a hospital and died.

If the child really did fall, and they are charging her with neglect because she didn't take her to the hospital right away, it would be difficult to show perhaps, that there was something wrong.

Even adults weren't aware of the risks until all the publicity surrounding the Richardson tragedy.

My heart goes out to all involved.

Octowelfaremom

Billy Bob...you divorce wives not children. You break up with girlfriends...not children. You've had experience divorcing many wives and breaking many hearts...shame on you for not being a father figure in your daughter's life...

joanna38

What the hell was she doing falling asleep on the couch with the baby next to her? She was suppose to be babysitting. You do not do that by placing a one year old next to you and then falling asleep. She was most probably on dope or weed. What do people think when they leave their child in someone elses care? Do they not check these socalled babysitters out beforehand? Maybe they are the same kind of WTPT. In the end it is the death of just another infant....and who cares? Not the babysitter for sure. Lock her up and throw away the key, or bash her head on the floor until she bleeds from the mouth!

Rob

I am sitting her scratching my head trying to come to some rational and useful reasoning to publish this information. It falls in the category of "who cares." If the intent is to reflect poorly on Billy Bob I hardly think he needs any help from you or his daughter.

You guys will go to any length to destroy someone's reputation and fame while really it is a poor reflection on TMZ.

Let's see more positive stuff! Do you know how?