Billy Bob's Daughter

Charged in Death of Baby

6/1/2009 2:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0530_billy_bob_thornton_mug_ex-1We've learned the oldest daughter of Billy Bob Thornton has been charged with child neglect in the death of a 1-year-old she was babysitting.

Amanda Brumfield told cops the child died in October after falling from her playpen, but a spokesman for the Ocoee Police Department said Amanda Brumfield's story didn't add up.

An autopsy determined the child suffered a fractured skull and a subdural hematoma due to blunt trauma.

Brumfield told police that after the baby had fallen, she discovered her tongue bleeding, so Brumfield cleaned it with a paper towel. She then says she began playing with the child, feeding her bananas and fruit snacks, and said she was "happy" and playful.

Brumfield then said she laid the child on the couch next to her and fell asleep. She says was awoken sometime later by the phone and decided to take the child back to the playpen. When she lifted her, Brumfield told cops she discovered her body was limp.

According to police, the call for help didn't come until two and a half hours after the original fall.

Brumfield is Thornton's child with his first wife, Melissa Gatlin.

UPDATE -- A rep for Thornton sent TMZ this statement: "Mr. Thornton is estranged from Amanda and has had no contact with her for quite some time, however when informed about this situation he commented that, 'Anytime a baby's life is lost is an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones.'"

joanna38

Why do some of the idiots on here NOT read the whole story before they spew their trash on here? He said he has not been in contact with her for a long time. Just look at her pic....face blemishes, most probably on crack. Why should he be supporting adult kids? He has nothing to do with this matter....most probably disowned her. Some of you sound like WTPT too....typical attitude of..."whoever has money in the family you want a share of it " and think it your Godgiven right to it. Wake up and smell the coffee. I do not feel sorry for this female. She most probably bashed that small helpless infant against something because the baby was crying and intefering with her watching tv or doing the pipe.

Lila

#25 - According to the article, Billy Bob has Thornton been estranged from his daughter for "quite some time". But I wouldn't doubt if it is because he won't share any of his money with her.

Octowelfaremom

To Joanna38 - Great thinking. Dump the kid because they are a crack addict. Whatever happened to unconditional love?

Maybe she is a crack addict. But according to Billy Bob, he hasn't had contact with her since she was 11. It's one thing to have tough love...it's another when you just dump your kids and have nothing to do with them. I know many people who have been addicts and their parents actually worked hard with intervention. I also know parents whose kids had to hold interventions. Bottom line is...Billy Bob is just a dead beat a**h***.

Harriet

OK now. lets get one thing straight. "I have been estranged from my daughter for quite some time." Well gee, she is still your daughter. You are a realy stand-up guy. This reminds me of when you and Angelina broke up because of the child that she adopted. Amanda is in a bad spot but she is far better off without you in her life. What a jerk you are.

SUN

First off, why did he make that statment to TMZ? Like he is saying "she is not my daughter", and I want to make sure everyone knows it. I am sure he has been a horrible father, so this is why you have messed up kids.

AddLinkSEO

Good one!

Cindy

Let us see a Rich, Famous Father, A Rejected daughter, Sounds like a cause for many hidden anger issues. And who pays the price, this innocent baby. God bless this child-It is surely in the arms of the Lord.

Jerry Jarvela

Hey TMZ!

Would you post scandalous stories about TOM PETTY's eldest daughter?

iHaveKids2

Maybe the cops know something we don't, but the story sounds plausible enough so far. Accidents happen and kids do fall. How the fall actually happened may be a different story, but if we are going to charge parents/babysitters with neglect because an accident happened when their backs were turned, the courts will never be able to handle it. I'd be in jail myself. BTW...I think BB Thornton is a total butthead. Nice statement. Why not just scream, "Don't call me an actor," and hang up. I'm sure his daughter feels much better after reading his statement. What a great role model he is.

420 GIRL

33. I am sitting her scratching my head trying to come to some
rational and useful reasoning to publish this information. It falls
in the category of "who cares." If the intent is to reflect poorly on
Billy Bob I hardly think he needs any help from you or his daughter.

You guys will go to any length to destroy someone's reputation and
fame while really it is a poor reflection on TMZ.

Let's see more positive stuff! Do you know how?
______________________________________________

THREE WORDS:

IT'S SUNDAY

joanna38

Where is my compassion and unconditional love? I have none for drug addicts whatsoever. It is their choice and I do not have to make excuses for any of them. Go and cry on someone elses shoulder and do not blame parents who were either there or not there, but their money was enjoyed nevertheless. That is the BIG problem in the USA....too many excuses and not enough kick-butt. This is an open site and I can voice my opinion as you do yours...I am not the topic of article........AMEN

BRIDGET

ALL OF YOU THAT ARE DOGGING BILLY BOB THORTON NEED TO LOOK IN THE MIRROR. HE IS ASTRANGED FROM HER SO WHY ARE YOU BLAMING ANYTHING ON HIM. HE WASNT WATCHING THE LITTLE GIRL.

I AGREE THAT ACCIDENTS DO HAPPEN AND SHE MUST OF THOUGHT THE 1 YR OLD WAS OK. BUT ANYONE WHO IS A MOTHER KNOWS YOU NEVER LET A CHILD OF ANY AGE GO TO SLEEP FOR SEVERAL HOURS AFTER THE HIT THIER HEAD. IM A MOTHER OF 5 KIDS AND I CAN TELL YOU IF I CALLED 911 EVERYTIME ONE OF THEM GOT HURT OR FELL AND HIT THIER HEAD I WOULD BE CHARGED WITH ABUSING THE 911 SYSTEM. KIDS ARE GOING TO GET HURT FALLING DOWN HITTING THINGS ECT....

I DONT HONESTLY KNOW IF SHE HURT THIS BABY WITH THE INTENTIONS OF DOING SO OR NOT, BUT ACTUALLY A 911 CALL WITH IN AFEW HOURS ISNT BAD IF SHE DID WHAT SHE FELT WAS RIGHT IN MAKING SURE SHE WAS OK. WHERE SHE WAS WRONG IS NOT CALLING THE LITTLE GIRLS MOM AND LETTING HER KNOW SHE FELL AND HIT HER HEAD AND MOUTH WAS BLEEDING, I WOULD OF CALLED IF I WAS BABY SITTING AND AS A MOTHER I WOULD OF LEFT WHERE I WAS AND BEEN THIER TO TEND TO MY DAUGHTER MYSELF AND TOOK HER TO THE ER IF I FELT IT WAS NECESSARY TO DO SO.

DONT BE SO QUICK TO JUDGE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN YOU MAY HAVE AN ACCIDENT ON YOUR HANDS AND NOT DO SOMETHING RIGHT.

RiverRat

Wow! So many hateful comments about BBT. I'm not a fan, but honestly ... he had nothing to do with this. And to poster #21: people like you are the reason the judicial system has become a paycheck for so many! You say "somebody has to pay for this" Um, no -- that's not true. If this was just an unfortunate, tragic accident, no one must "pay" for it. As awful as it is, babies ... like children and adults ... die in accidents every day.

!!

CanadiansH8Billy-Bob...

Where does it say, She was making a living by baby sitting??
Where does it say, She needed help with $$$$$??

420 GIRL

First of all it's a known fact he is a substance abuser.

...and drug addiction is A DISEASE not a choice