Billy Bob's Daughter

Charged in Death of Baby

6/1/2009 2:47 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

0530_billy_bob_thornton_mug_ex-1We've learned the oldest daughter of Billy Bob Thornton has been charged with child neglect in the death of a 1-year-old she was babysitting.

Amanda Brumfield told cops the child died in October after falling from her playpen, but a spokesman for the Ocoee Police Department said Amanda Brumfield's story didn't add up.

An autopsy determined the child suffered a fractured skull and a subdural hematoma due to blunt trauma.

Brumfield told police that after the baby had fallen, she discovered her tongue bleeding, so Brumfield cleaned it with a paper towel. She then says she began playing with the child, feeding her bananas and fruit snacks, and said she was "happy" and playful.

Brumfield then said she laid the child on the couch next to her and fell asleep. She says was awoken sometime later by the phone and decided to take the child back to the playpen. When she lifted her, Brumfield told cops she discovered her body was limp.

According to police, the call for help didn't come until two and a half hours after the original fall.

Brumfield is Thornton's child with his first wife, Melissa Gatlin.

UPDATE -- A rep for Thornton sent TMZ this statement: "Mr. Thornton is estranged from Amanda and has had no contact with her for quite some time, however when informed about this situation he commented that, 'Anytime a baby's life is lost is an unimaginable tragedy and my heart goes out to the baby's family and loved ones.'"

Mom22Girls

I know Amanda personally and she is an amazing caring person and very good mother. She would NEVER do this to a child intentionally. My heart goes out to everyone in this situation, it's sad for everyone involved.

bob

i always new there was something sleezy about BILLY BOB REDNECK, WHAT A HORRIBLE FATHER, THE WORST KIND OF HUMAN BEING EVER CREATED IS A HORRIBLE FATHER. WAY TO GO BILLY BOB REDNECK

blues fan

Mommyof3, sure hope none of your kids ever CHOOSES to activate an alcohol-or-drug addiction through experimentation -- you lack both compassion and knowledge. The AMA and the APA (American Psychiatric Assocation), among others, identify addiction as a DISEASE, and no one knows if he/she has it until their first drink/snort/puff -- and then it's too late. And rehab often doesn't "take", at least not the first or, in some cases, the second or third time...the ones who find recovery at their first attempt at sobriety are very fortunate. While it's important not to be an enabler to someone who drinks or drugs addictively, one must always remember that they are human beings, just like us, witha disease that's a lot more powerful than they are and they deserve compassion and respect as they battle their demons. You sound mean-spirited and ignorant.

BigTimeHater

Damn, I thought I was having a bad day. this bitch is totally screwed!!

BaldOuting.blogspot.com

such a sad story...this happens all too often these days...

givemeabreat

Most of you are so ignorant. For example, to the person who said, just look at her blemishes, she must be a drug addict... I have a few blemishes myself and I never do drugs. I am sure this will be a big shocker for you, but people do get blemishes without drugs.
I happen to know both families. There are very few of you leaving comments here that have any idea what you are talking about. First of all, the mother didn't leave her with just any old babysitter. It was her best friend of several years and they watched each others children all the time.
Secondly, Amanda does not do drugs. She is a wonderful mother of 3, holds down a job, is extremely close with her husband and goes to church every single Sunday.
Third, she does not have money, so that is not even an issue. She and her husband work very hard for what they have. BBT never gave them a penny.
Fourth, her entire family has been destroyed because of this. She has been paying for this more then any of you know since it happened.
Fifth, for you boneheads who say, who goes to sleep with a one year old on the couch.... you must not have kids and don't know your butt from a hole in the ground, because if you did, you would know how exhausting children can be and ALL parents have fallen asleep with children by their side. There is nothing wrong with that.
Spend some more time judging your own lives. You don't even get 1/5th of the story from what you are reading here. It's only a snipet. How can you make judgements on peoples lives based on the little bit of information that you read on this site. I am sure each and every one of you have some room to improve in your own lives. Maybe saying these horrible things just makes you feel better about yourselves!

BigTimeHater

bitch, you don't know amanda personally. Stop lying!

lisa16049

Did anyone notice that he totally pushed the fact that she is his daughter as far away from him as posible? It is no excuse but children need their dad's around. And as a mother that has two girls to a deadbeat dad with no contact I constantly think about how they will be as parents. Let this be a lesson to everyone. HOW WELL DO YOU TRUST THE PERSON THAT YOU HAVE WATCHING YOUR KIDS?

csigal

bluesfan, my sister has been a drug addict for 15 plus years. She chose to do drugs. She also was going to drug court and AA. She recently went to rehab because she said she didn't want us to see her in the morgue. I don't want to see her like that either. She was living there but got kicked out for drinking in rehab. She had a good job there and a place to stay. She knew if she ca,e back here she would get back on the stuff. All she had to do was to stay there. Her son said that he doesn't want her to come back here because he knows what will happen. And he is 10. 10 year olds shouldn't even know what meth is or crack. he is blind because she did crack while she was pregnant with him. If she really cared about him, she would have found a way to stop while she was pregnant with him. If she is back on the drugs, I don't know what to do. You can only help someone so much. What would you suggest? I will not let her walk all over me because she has a disease. She will never grow up if everyone treats her like a child. My dad does that plenty. Everytime she doesn't get her way, she calls him. Does that mean that she is more important than his other kids? We have got blown off so many times because he would rather do something with her. He has called me every name you can think of but she on the other hand, can do no wrong. You wouldn't believe the crap that me and my sisters had to go thru with him because of her. So again, what would you suggest that we do? Because I'm all out of options.

who has the facts? ME

Makes me think even LESS of Billy Bob...who is estranged from his own child. Seems he left alot of family behind when he went Hollywod. What a creep.

gail

HOW SAD TO BE A PUBLIC FIGURE AND ONE OF YOUR FAMILY MEMBERS DO THIS......HOW SAD THAT ANYONE WOULD LET THIS HAPPEN TO THEIR CHILD......THE INNOCENT ALWAYS PAYS THE PRICE...I HOPE SHE GETS WHAT SHE DESERVES.....

savanah

Do you people have any clue at all as to how completely insane you sound?

HaroldLynn

There is no substitute for good parenting, which she never received. Way to go Billy Bob!!!!!!!!!!!

theresa

With the child's tongue bleeding, I wonder if the child had a seizure.

Christian Shojamanesh

it seems to be becoming a disgusting trend in America for women to kill children. First there was Susan Smith then Casey Anthony and then Melissa Huckaby and then some woman in New Mexico now its Billy Bob Thortons daughter. This world has gone to hell!