Sacha Baron Cohen

Sued Over Bingo Melee

6/3/2009 2:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sacha Baron CohenIt's all fun and games until someone gets confined to a wheelchair -- which is exactly what one woman is claiming after she was allegedly attacked and left "crippled" by Sacha Baron Cohen (as Bruno) at a Bingo hall in 2007.

Richelle Olson has sued Cohen, NBC Universal and others claiming they told her Bruno was a celeb and would appear and call numbers at the charity bingo game she ran for the elderly in Palmdale, CA. Olson was none too happy when she saw Bruno, whom she describes as an "extreme, outrageous, offensive caricature of a gay man dressed in sexually revealing clothing with an Austrian accent..."

Olson alleges Bruno used "vulgar and offensive language" and when she tried taking the mic from him, a "physical struggle ensued" and Cohen "offensively touched, pushed and battered" her, causing her to fall to the ground.

She then claims three cameramen and others rushed the stage ... "where defendants attacked [her] for a period of one to five minutes to intentionally create a dramatic emotional response ... while [they] recorded her humiliation and embarrassment."

After the alleged assault was over, the suit says Olson went into another room where she was "sobbing uncontrollably" ... then was rendered unconscious ... "falling forward onto the thinly covered concrete slab, passing out and causing her to hit her head."

The suit says Olson was rushed to the hospital with a "diagnosis of two brain bleeds" -- and that she has been confined to a wheelchair and walker ever since.

Olson -- the Executive Director of Desert Valley Charities -- and her husband are suing for unspecified damages, including loss of marital relations.

Cohen's rep had no comment.

popcultured

"...when she tried to take the mic away...". Case dismissed. P.S. Comment #18 is hysterical!

popcultured

ooops...I mean the comment posted by 'WTF' is hysterical.

lola

LMAO @WTF!

That series of events sounds totally implausible. I hope they throw her case out immediately.

Mandy

If it was "taped" there is a simple solution, if nothing happened SBC and the production team will have no issues showing the footage. If they have a problem showing the footage, something might be fishy. I highly doubt that he as odd as he is would push a lady and "attack" her. Then again I'm pretty naive when it comes to having faith in people. I'd like to see the footage.

I'd also like to see how she tried to take the mic from him, she had no right to touch him regardless of what he was saying, she agreed to him coming, maybe she should have googled him to see exactly who "Bruno" was. Then comes, " I am a woman " if he did touch her, there is the other argument. If you put your hands on someone expect something in return. I am guessing she in fact agressively approached him, there shouldn't be double standards when it comes to attacking someone first vagina or not.

Seriously, since when is it OK to walk up to someone and try to grab something out of their hand? Ask them to leave...

Mikey

I WANT TO SMELL HIS BALLS LIKE M & M.

Mikey

I want two dildos in my ass.

SocialistCowardicePigs

He was funny with his different characters while in his mid-20s on his HBO show before he got big, but now that he's in his mid to late 30's I think it's time for him to drop the immature sh*t and focus on acting since he's semi decent at it and for whatever reason can get roles in some big time movies. If he keeps this kind of corny, slapstick routine up he'll fade away just as fast as Tom Green did.

Carrys F.

How can a fall that happens after some bizarre incident be anyone's fault but your own? That's like this dude I saw on People's Court who was suing some guy because his wife left him after not getting paid. How is that the fault of the defendent? Anything for a buck, I guess.

MoulinRouge

When isnt he out of line???!

TV Guy

After the stunt at the MTV awards and the way this guy promotes himself, Who is to say if this suit is even real. It just now pops up just before his movie comes out. It ends up being first on TMZ list.

The suit is real cause it was filed in court, but they set it up with the lady, they'll settle out of court, "almost like she is getting paid for the 'gig'.

What BS .. as it follows the same interesting pattern that the Kate and Eight BS does.... A crappy show that no one watches ... and then all of a sudden a 'marriage scandal' picked up by all the on-line bloggers and services ... then picked up by mainstream media.

Marketing Execs, and Adverstinging Execs have always laughed about how 'dumb' the american public is.

well

how does he get people to sign releases to appear in his movies? do they lie to get them to sign? isn't that some kind of fraud? i don't get it

Jay

I agree that I think she's just looking to make $$ and this happened 2 yrs. ago, so where's she been. But, if even some of its true, she should get a settlement. I can't stand SBC. I don't think what he does is "comedy." I wish that people didn't fall for this stuff so he couldn't make his movies. I also wish people would stop going to his movies so he wouldn't be getting so much money and publicity for such garbage.

Chelsea

Sounds like she embellished her story a LITTLE itty bitty bit... 8-)

jerseygirl707

in fairness to her-- it's not like with all these injuries the scope & permanancy of her situation would be well known. Physcial therpay alone for an injury 1/3 this severe can taken 12 months. If all about the money-- well then he would have been hard on the heals of Borat's release. They could have sued when you know he was successful w/out chance to blow the loot yet like celebs do all the time.

these may be exagerated claims which are ridiculously comon these days (I live in NJ- you'd get sued damages for coughing) ... but given his track record I could see it also.

enough already-- it's just old schtick changed up to be done with recycled characters at this point.

R

Oh please. Who goes to Bingo games are just itching to win money at Bingo. Believe me, I have seen plenty of weirdos at Bingo games. I went there to help to set up tables once.

She is probably suing to have some money. If she has sustained some injuries and I THINK it would be fair to settle a small amount of money outside of the court and drop the lawsuit.

Before you guys bash Sacha Baron Cohen... He is just doing this to lighten up things ranging from gay issues to adoption and to how our society is too conservative. If you are easily offended, then don't even bother to watch this movie or anything about him. Move on, whining bitch.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments