Chastity Bono

Becoming a Man

6/11/2009 4:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Chastity BonoChastity Bono, civil rights advocate, journalist, author and musician, is in the early stages of changing his gender -- transitioning from female to male, TMZ has learned.

Bono, the child of legendary entertainers Sonny and Cher, began the process earlier this year, shortly after his 40th birthday.

"Yes, it's true -- Chaz, after many years of consideration, has made the courageous decision to honor his true identity," confirmed Bono's publicist, Howard Bragman.

"He is proud of his decision and grateful for the support and respect that has already been shown by his loved ones. It is Chaz's hope that his choice to transition will open the hearts and minds of the public regarding this issue, just as his 'coming out' did nearly 20 years ago.

Launch photos

Jason

While I may never fully understand the "transgendered" lifestyle, I do know that I do not have the right to prevent anyone from pursuing what they believe to be their true identity. I would be some sort of hypocritical, hateful monster if I tried to tell someone else how to live their life. If this type of surgery will make Chastity Bono feel complete, and "right" for the first time in her life, then I think she should go for it. The way I read this issue is that, while she does not give a darn about the media's opinion of what she is about to do, she also understands that the media will grab hold regardless of her openess about the subject. I think she/he sort of beat them to the punch.

Brad

And the Germans invented the first motor car not the fat, war-mongering Yanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!

K

Smartman (shameful that you would refer to yourself as such)-
Marconi invented the radio. Unless Italy is one of the provinces of Candada, you wrong on this one. Not sure about the rest, but wouldn't be surprised.........

Giles

It is NOT possible to undergo a gender change operation. Virually every cell in Chas` body will always know she is a woman. Mutilation, and/or clothes, do NOT make the man. Where are the malpractice investigators? Nor should the Bushes will get away with violating US and UN law to topple UN member governments in Nicarague, Afghanistan, and Iraq. If Chas` girlfriends had wanted a man, they could have gotten with a man, not her. Chas can`t rethink this, there has been no thought to begin with, but there should be. A shame. Maybe when Sal hit his head in a skiing accident and died, it may have driven her crazy, wishing he was still alive, wishing she could be a man so her dad could live on thru her. Poor Cher, lost her ex husband, and sort of lost her daughter. Poor Chaz. Just an uneducated guess, it might be almost as wrong as Chaz` assault against herself. Almost.

Mack

Adding just one body part doesn’t make her a man sorry. Leave the toilet seat up, wearing dirty socks and not express your feelings are a few things she could start with. Your father is smiling.

Jill Cruse

Way to go Chaz! It is amazing how many jerks come out of the woodwork to judge you. I applaud your courage to be who you are, even if others just don't understand. You are welomce to come back on an Olivia trip anytime where you will be accepted for who you are. Be strong, and know you have a lot of support.

Brad

Homos are the most confused people on earth. It is all about sex to them. They don't understand themselves, yet they rail when others don't see eye to eye with their perversions.

Rosemary

Why is this news? Why do we give a rat's behind? This person (I can't say man or woman) has always has difficulties with her sexuality (she hasn't had the sex change yet so I may call "Chaz" her) so why is this latest manifestation newsworthy?
What kind of society are we becoming - where this sort of behavior is supposed to warrant understanding, sympathy, support and compassion? If "Chaz" mother is HONEST, she'll have the same fit about this as she initially did when Chaz revealed she was a lesbian. If Chaz becomes a man, she won't be a lesbian anymore?
I realized we as a society were hell-bound when I learned (I've never watched the show) Carrie in "Sex and the City" had had an abortion. Being pro LIFE< I was appalled. And then I thought ... "THIS is entertainment? THIS is COMEDY?" Give me Lucy Ricardo any day.
And "Chaz," go away, JUST GO AWAY. You and that beluga whale, Rosie O'Donnell, belong together - you both are grotesque!

Mike Kochhertz

excellent slippers, isn't that the truth. I don't particulary care for Obama...hater, racist, you're evil never done anything
to harm any gay person, but, I don't really care for that lifestyle.....hater, homophobe, jerk never hurt an immigrant in my life, but, I really do think we need to get control of the borders, and, I'm all for immigration, just believe people should do it the proper way...........hater, evil, your grandparents were immigrants too, axxhole
Hey, we all know them, but, slippers, very succint, well put!

Jake

F****** gross if i see you on the street I will kick the S*** out of you.

mujer fiera

congratulations on your decision chaz! i hope others will be encouraged to be their most authentic selves!

Foreverbluemama

On Chaz......WRONG WRONG WRONG!!!!!!!!!!! What is SHE thinking!!!!!! God made you & beleive it or not he made a perfect MALE for you all you had to do is be patient & have faith & God would reveal him to you. Wow, messing with God's work, what, his work wasn't good enough???? You need to fix your head not you genitles. I am sad for you & I will pray for you.

Nasty

"We ask that the media respect Chaz's privacy during this long process as he will not be doing any interviews at this time."

Translation: Ignore the fact no one would know- or even care- had we not made the press release. Just be certain to mention this in the media due to twisted need for attention.

RAD

THIS ENTIRE WORLD OF OURS HAS GONE ABSOLUTELY MAD!!!! THERE IS DEFINITELY SOMETHING WRONG WITH EVERYONE! WHEN WILL THE MADNESS END!! GEEZ, ENOUGH ALREADY. NO WONDER CHER HAS BEEN HIDING FOR YEARS! I SAY THERE IS SOMETHING IN THE WATER TO MAKE EVERYONE NUTS!!! GET ME OFF OF THIS PLANET- QUICK!!

nunya

GROSS!!!! Gays really are disgusting.