GLAAD

Bravo to Bono

6/11/2009 3:47 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Chastity BonoTMZ just got this statement from Neil G. Giuliano, President of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD):

"Chaz Bono's decision to live his life authentically represents an important step forward, both for him personally and for all who are committed to advancing discussions about fairness and equality for transgender people," said Neil G. Giuliano, president of the Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation (GLAAD). "Coming out as transgender is an extremely personal decision and one that is never made lightly. We look forward to hearing Chaz's story in his own words in the future."

"GLAAD encourages media outlets to cover this story accurately, and to avoid speculation about the details of Chaz's story before he is ready to tell it in his own words."

"The GLAAD Media Reference Guide and the Associated Press Stylebook call on media to use the name and pronoun preferred by the transgender person - in this case, referring to him as Chaz and using male pronouns."

rabbit on the moon

Well, good for her I guess. As long as she (or he) is happy. But honestly, I could care less about what GLADD thinks on the matter. They're a hypocritical organization who doesn't have the gay community's best interest at heart. They're just as bad as PETA with their bullying of others. I will never support them.

Brooke

I am so sorry to hear about Chasity's, Chaz decision. WHERE IS THE BEEF?

Zach Swan

Yuck.

And stop call it "him".

Brian Evans

I love stories like this, not because I think they are sane, but because it reminds me on what a good life I actually have, even when I'm stressed out over dumb things like paying the bills. None of us have a single problem, folks. None of us.

Herbin’Gorilla

Authentic = genuine. Transgender = genuine? Accuracy does not equal hate.

MeaZy

See, #13 is thinking the same thing I am. If s/he was a lesbian, or more to point, a homosexual, then in order to retain her identity once she is a he, he must like men then, right? Because if she will still be into woman, then her homosexuality will become heterosexuality, thereby negating her status as a lesbian and being just a straight man trapped in a woman’s body? But if she is firmly homosexual, she will have to be into men, right? These are things people never get a chance to think about.

WTF

GLAAD would be involved because being transgender fits into the GLBT category, so maybe they should rename GLBTAAD but then the acronym isn't as cute lol.

Ramon, I agree with you. People are stupid. If she has felt like a man her whole life then making the change IS authentic because otherwise it would be like she was just pretending to be a woman and trapped in a body she doesn't want.

cwazy

Not hating, just stating the fact she will always be a woman to me.....not a man, not an it...as she was born a girl. But whatever floats her boat......i can't call her names for it.

And i agree with the above post, im sick of all these organizations that come out and say stuff like peta and now GLAAD (whenever something hits the news about someone being gay or a gay remark), like they are smarter than the rest, like we need to follow them to be "in"...when to me, being gay or vegetarian is a personal choice and not a group choice.....they are like cults.

ALTHOUGH, i have nothing against gays though. I have had gay friends and they are pretty cool to hang out with. and unlike some people, making childish remarks, I respect their opinions & try to state mine in a respectable manner. but i will never call a woman a man..Would you call your mother who birthed you a man (if she were to want to change sexes or your father a mother??)

LAL

Chaz,

Please know you have many transgender brothers and sisters that are saluting you today. I hope your mother will understand your decision to transition has nothing to do with her and how she brought you up.

GLAAD, keep up the great work you are doling!

LAL

Los Angeles CA

Sammie

ALL AROUND GROSS.GOD DIDN'T INTEND FOR HER TO BE A MAN IF SO SHE'D A BEEN BORN A MAN.THIS MAKES ME SICK TO MY STOMACH AND I WISH PEOPLE WOULD WAKE UP AND KNOW THAT GOD WANTED ONE MAN AND ONE WOMAN CAUSE IF HE DIDN'T ONE OF US WOULDN'T BE HERE.IN ALL HONESTLY WHO WOULD WANT THAT MAN OR WOMAN.I THINK A PAPER BAG WOULDN'T MAKE HER LOOK GOOD

the_writer

Just like Queen Latifah -- she will come out and say that she was molested -- and that is why she wants to be a man. Why can't these chicks just get some D$#% therapy like the rest of molested women and move on with their lives? Why be gay? Like those relationships are normal and safe. She's a freak /// now she'll be an abnormal freak.

Gracie (cinnimon696)

Yay!! Go Chaz!! your awsome, I totally support you man. FTM's and MTF's rule!!
Powered By T, go man, go YAY!!!!

NotAmused

Freak!!!!!!! What an ugly woman.

Benny Barnes

I believe Chastity Bono is mentally ill and any quack doctor who performs this operation should be disbarred.

Truth in advertising

Why didn't "it" just go do the sex change quietly, instead of making such a big deal? "It" isn't a celebrity other than having a famous mom and dad, so "it" should just slink away and go do whatever "it" wants in another country. Then come back as "Chaz", and who would care?

Yes, "It", neither man nor woman, even when it is over. Confused totally. God made her a woman-all of the parts are there. Changing "it " to a man doesn't make it whole. Sorry.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments