Cher

I Support Chaz's Transition

6/17/2009 5:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Cher & ChazCher has made her first statement regarding her daughter's decision to become a man.

She tells PEOPLE: "Chaz is embarking on a difficult journey, but one that I will support. I respect the courage it takes to go through this transition in the glare of public scrutiny, and although I may not understand, I will strive to be understanding ... The one thing that will never change is my abiding love for my child."

As TMZ first reported, Cher has known about Chaz's decision for a year.

K

anyone who is using Jesus to be snarky...has no clue what he taught...compassion.Using religion and/or Jesus to justify hateful comments just shows ignorance. Faith without understanding is just plain idiotic.

TMZ hits a new low

I love Cher, always have and always will. I support them both and hope Cher is going to be OK with this really. Because it's happening.

Lyn

I just hope Chastity's decision doesn't encourage all the butch lesbians out there who try so hard to emulate a male to think that they will find happiness by the use of a scapel and hormones to make their fantasy come true. Quite sad, really....

mel

She was created by God a female and is not happy with what God gave her. She is a confused WOMAN and needs a mental evaluation. Going through major surgery to become something she will truly never be is just plain crazy.

kelly

This can't be easy for Cher ( I grew up watching Sonny and Cher, I ADORE them both) or any mother that has situations like this but Chaz is a person and he deserves the most ultimate happiness we are all searching for. From a mom that lost a child I'd support my son 100% if he chose to become a woman. I may not understand as I don't understand a lot of things my children have done and still do.. I will love them no matter what. God BLess and don't listen to any negativity Cher or Chaz. The ones that write such mean things I hope you focus on the people that support you! I support you, Chaz :)
Much Love,
Kelly

hamilTonyan

I hear the new penis has 3 speeds, and inflatable balls. Top of the line.

ho hum

As a mother with an adult child "transitioning", I deeply hear what Cher is saying. It is almost impossible to comprehend, it rips out your heart, it practically tears apart your insides and changes your family forever. You will always love that child, but it does not make it any easier to understand, or to be understanding. I don't know how to deal with it, you just learn to live with it.
I wish Cher and her family peace while she learns to let her daughter go.

Bear

I support her too...I hope she gets well (hung) soon!

Q

I've met some of the Bono Family members, Sonny's extended family-----some of them are HUGE people...B-I-G. In fact she looks exactly like a number of the men on the Bono side----she probably was meant to be a man but nature got in the way, who knows, but she could be a Bono Brother or Cousin guy easy.

Cher should have know Sonny came from a large, I mean L-A-R-G-E Italian Family...big eaters, big boned kind of people.

Wonder if her real son, Elijah Blue has any inklings to a woman from the Cher or Allman side?

Whatever...Mama Mia

Carmen

well what do you expect when you have a slut for a mother and a father who did his best (unfortuantely died) and then the mother does nothing but sleep around with everything. You raise yourself and look for love in the wrong places. How sad. She's a woman. She'll always be a woman. She's making a huge mistake.

Janet

Unconditional love people. That's what life's all about.

Margaret

Wow. It must take courage to do this.

The self is eternal and not dependent
on the outer world as we know it.

It's nice that Cher is supportive
and she is a smart women.

Laura

I thought the family wanted everyone to respect their privacy. If so, WHY is the family so keen on sending out "info commercials" about Chaz this and Chaz that. PR stunt!! They are thriving on all this hype.

blues fan

Speak for yourself, MissMiss67......this woman is not the least disappointed with Chaz. It's Chaz's sexual identity and he gets the final say in that: not me, and not you. I hope he finds the peace he seeks. We all deserve to be who we are and to be accepted and treated with compassion and dignity, as human beings. I don't really understand what it means to be transgendered, but so what...I also don't understand why so many women choose to be slaves to some arbitrary standard of of feminine beauty by having potentially-toxic plastic bags implanted in their chests, but it happens all the time.

Cabo

I don't think anyone's heart needs to bleed for Cher. Her child is alive and happy. No, I don't think it's easy for her or what she envisioned when she had her little girl. But it's life -- and Cher is a pretty hip woman and she loves her child. My heart bleeds much more for people who have lost their children. Cher will be fine. I hope Chaz & Cher are both happy. That's all.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments