Top Cop in SJP Case: I Was Just Messin' Around

6/18/2009 10:31 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Sarah Jessica ParkerSo how's this for an explanation as to how a police chief allegedly got caught in bed with a tabloid reporter trying to sell out Sarah Jessica Parker?

Martins Ferry Police Chief Barry Carpenter -- the Ohio cop now under investigation for allegedly hatching a plot to burglarize the home of the woman who is carrying SJP's babies -- now says there's a perfectly innocent explanation to all of this. He says he was driving past the home of the surrogate mother one day when he noticed that her front door was open.

According to David Blomquist, a morning radio talk show host at WWVA in West Virginia, the ever-helpful Chief Carpenter told him he went inside to make sure things were ok, and noticed what looked like a plaster of paris cast of the surrogate's stomach. Carpenter says he looked around and left.

For some unexplained reason, Carpenter says he knew a reporter from the National Enquirer was snooping around town so he met up with him, allegedly just to "mess with him and jerk him around."

Apparently, law enforcement didn't see it that way. Investigators tell us there's some hard evidence of a conspiracy to burglarize.

Carpenter told Blomquist his home was searched and nothing was found. He says he's willing to take a polygraph.

tiger'smomaphonytoo

Another spoiled rich person, big whoop!

TEXAS_AGGIES03

FIRE HIS ASS AS CHIEF OF POLICE. What the hell was he thinking "I was just messin around".

Mikey

Just making sure the horse didn't get out of the barn.

someone

I was born in Martins Ferry ohio..glad I haven't been back there for many many years.

FACT

I hope they get to the bottom of it and if that cop is quilty they should put him away for a while.

Michael Madsen

Ummm... I believe him.

Djaina

I've been to Martin's Ferry. It makes the mind weep! Go Bloomdaddy for breaking this story! I'm G of the Twisted Sisterz (hearse owner) and here's your deserved shout out! ;)

vern212

ARE YOU CRAZY? He could'nt come up with anything better than that?

PlAy At Ur RiSk

OK Does anyone know why she cant conceive her own kids? or is it that she don't want to mess up ur body!!

Katt

Uh-huh....and this explanation would work with anyone he arrested? I think not!!

CinCal

If this didnt happen to SJP would anyone have heard about this? This has nothing to do with SJP and EVERYTHING to do with the corruption in enforcement ...an attitude that THEY themselves are above the law that they swear to uphold!

SmallTown Living

Geez, her door was open so this led the guy to believe something was amiss? I live in a small town and had my door open last night I must have been in trouble - no wait it was a nice night and A/C wasn't running THAT's why. So now probable cause includes an open door. Fire his a$$ if nothing else for trying to laugh it off with the stupidest reasoning ever. The door was open.

small town girl

I live in this small community and know exactly where this surrogate lived. As to the police chiefs comment he was passing by and saw the door open, it is impossible to see from the street. This house is on a hill and out of the visibility of someone just passing by. This is nothing more than his opportunity to get more of the "almighty dollar" off someone else's life.

Sorry Chief Barry, you aren't any more ethical now than you were 10 years ago.

Jay

Wonderful story. Totally believable. Put him in jail.

pd

Surprise, surprise...another crooked cop...

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments