Pitchman Billy Mays Found Dead

6/28/2009 12:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Billy MaysTMZ has confirmed TV pitchman Billy Mays was found dead today in his home in Tampa, Florida early this morning.

According to the Tampa PD, the 50-year-old TV pitchman was found unresponsive by his wife Deborah at 7:45 AM.

TMZ has learned Mays' body has already been removed from his home.

Mays had just returned from Philadelphia, where he shot a new OxiClean commercial. He was a passenger aboard a plane that suffered a blown front tire upon landing. He told a local TV station, "All of a sudden as we hit you know it was just the hardest hit, all the things from the ceiling started dropping. It hit me on the head, but I got a hard head."

We're told Mays was at his home around 6:00 PM last night, and according to a source Mays was "acting fine and normal ... he was talking business with his father-in-law."

According to cops, there are no signs of forced entry to the residence and no foul play is suspected. Billy's wife Deborah told investigators Billy wasn't feeling well last night.

The Medical Examiner's office is expected to complete the autopsy by tomorrow afternoon. Billy was due to have his third hip replacement surgery on Monday.

UPDATE
: Deborah just released the following statement: "Although Billy lived a public life, we don't anticipate making any public statements over the next couple of days. Our family asks that you respect our privacy during these difficult times."

A rep for the Discovery Channel -- which airs Billy's show "Pitchmen" -- released this statement, "Everyone that knows him was aware of his larger-than-life personality, generosity and warmth. Billy was a pioneer in his field and helped many people fulfill their dreams. He will be greatly missed as a loyal and compassionate friend."

Toaster

R.I.P. He and Sullivan had the greatest appearance on a late night talk show I could remember this past week.

Rob

Sully was just arrested.
Sully was jealous and killed him.

Meredith M.

Last night in Tampa on the local Fox station it was reported that Billy Mays was on board a flight to Tampa that had a very bumby landing in which the plane was damaged. Billy Mays was interviewed at baggage reporting he was bumped on the head, but it was okay because he "has a hard head". You can see the story on myfoxtampabay.com. Is this another natasha richardson story?????

allit

He was on the USAirways flight with the bumby lading from Philly to Tampa and got hit on the head....maybe he suffered the same fate as Natasha Richardson?

PolarBear

Have you seen this guy's commercials? I can see him taking MORE stimulants than MJ took painkillers.

ABSOLUTELY AMAZINGLY CLEAN!

No doubt the public still hasn't had enough thrills and we'll call for more extremism in our entertainers and commercials. The thirst for profit and the trained hordes who'll buy anything cannot change their behavior and disease will bring a cull. This might be a good day to deliver a fresh box of Oxiclean to Joe Jackson.

the truth hurts huh

# 30 - WHO are you talking about? They have to be known by more than a few fans to be a Celebrity. But may Sky RIP.

Katy

so sad, I wonder if his death has anything to do with being on the U.S. Airways Flight 1241 the day before.
He told a reporter that luggage hit him in the head.

Amy

isn't that a public statement? lol.

Cleveland-West_Side

someone already posted, 4 deaths last week

Sonfilmizle

hımmm

Kathy

I swear TMZ, I'm getting afraid to open up your site anymore!

Everytime I do, there's another death! Wow. This is incredible!

Instead of coming in threes this time, it's been five recently! Carridine, McMahaon, Fawcett, Jackson and now Billy!

AND once AGAIN TMZ you guys have scooped the news networks including CNN because as usual they have nothing about this on their sites or on tv yet. No, all of THEM have to get their "news" from YOU guys!

So THAT'S one reason I DO come here first - you guys get the latest news out about everyone and everything so good job with that TMZ

Anyway, I am so sorry for Billy's wife and family and they're in my thoughts & prayers

He will be missed 'cause he was everywhere on tv

Nasty

Hit on the head? Possibly damaged his C1 and/or C2. People walk away from accidents deemed mild and end up dead due to injury of these two vertebrae.

Very sad.

karine

not a good week......RIP

Theresa

OMG ! Wow ! What the hell else can happen this week. I sure hope it wasn't drugs. You couldn't help but like this guy. I have so many oxi clean products. Stunned. I'm at a loss for words.

Michelle

ive always loved those commercials, i even started buying the oxi clean crap after this guy sold it to me pitch and fork over the tube!! I love those commercials "BILLY MAYS HERE"
I had a party at my house one day, it was packed with atleast 50 people, and when his commercial came on, we all stopped to watch it. OMG after the commercial went off we all started laughing because the room got quiet as we watched him sell us some oxi clean. We still talk about that evening from time to time
i told my husband if i ever cheat on him, its going to be with billy mays for sure.... i guess i have to find another pitchman to cheat with, maybe sham wow guy?