President Reaches Out to Jackson Family

6/28/2009 9:46 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

president Obama Michael JacksonPresident Barack Obama has written a note to Michael Jackson's family, a top White House adviser said today.

David Axelrod says Obama expressed his condolences to the Jacksons. He said Obama saw the pop star as a spectacular performer whose life had sad and tragic aspects.

The Prez did not issue a statement following Jackson's death.

Nimrod

I'm glad all you white people are upset Obama did this. First of all, you people don't like him in the first place. You didn't vote for him so he won't lose anything if he upset you. All of you getting upset don't like him, so shut up. I'm hope he won't write to the other families; TAKE THAT. And how do you ignorant people know he didn't write to the family of the young white soldier who got killed by the black guy?

1906 days ago

Nimrod

# 117 I meant to write I hope, not "I'm hope". I'm glad you are all mad about this.

1906 days ago

stopthepresses

Did he send a note to Farrah's famiy? Ed McMahon's.....Billy Mays? Just askin?

1906 days ago

SP

Sounds like Obama is a racist, he did not send out any notes for Farrah or Billy Mays now did he. And I wonder since he likes reaching across to the Republicans so much if he called Sanford & said he was praying to Allah for him.

1906 days ago

babykakes1016

Ok I Love Michael Jackson and President Obama, but really people, Ed McMahon, Farrah Fawcett and Billy Mays all passed away around the same time as Michael, and do you see the President writing letter' to their families?? NO! and I really dont want to play the race card but it seems as if I have to! I'm sorry, yes Michael was huge for the music industry and the african american community to help bridge that gap at that point in time, but Farrah Fawcett, and Ed McMahon were JUST AS FAMOUS!! I find it really hard to sit around while we have a President who really could care less about other people. It is extremely understandable that he would want to pay respects to the Jackson family as did many American's and fans all around the world, however, dont play favorite's Mr.Obama. If you do for one you should do for all. I'm sorry but he brought this on himself.

1906 days ago

CC

Why not the whtie people that died like Ed McMan and Fairra.

1905 days ago

Doreen Ambrose-Van Lee

Gloved One, Loved One
(For Michael Joseph Jackson)

My eyes are heavy, as I watch news footage of you gliding across the stage and
gyrating your pelvis,
At this moment in time this is bigger than the Duke, man, this is bigger than Elvis!
Though you made your living with words, today there are no words to express
the way the world feels,
Right now there is no need to go into your discography because it
encompasses valleys and hills.
But where do I begin, should I start with your amazing solo career or should I
start with the Jackson 5,
When you were just a cute little boy,
On stage you were talented and outgoing,
Yet off stage you were introspective and coy,
In the 70's, you put the world into a trance with your ‘fro and bell bottomed jeans
as you did the robot,
Michael, you had everyone at your feet because when you danced and sang you gave
all that you got!
I am old school and I remember coming home from school putting your album on
These were the days before CD’s, MP3 players, and IPODS,
Goodness, listening to your music was heaven sent directly from God.
You were a great admirer of the legendary James Brown,
It warmed my heart to see you at an award show holding his crown.
You ruled the 80's with a glittering iron glove,
Moon walking into the hearts of millions
Moving as gracefully and as freely as a dove.
Newborns coming into the world already know your name,
Ailing grandparents in their last days know the same.
You are Gary’s finest but the world dubbed you the ‘Gloved One’
Michael your legacy is HIStory, DESTINY, OFF THE WALL, INVINCIBLE,
BAD and most definitely a THRILLER.
You are the King of Pop the ‘Man In The Mirror!’
You ‘rocked our world’ for over 40 years.
You gave us such memorable songs as Who’s Lovin You, Gotta Be There,
Heart Break Hotel, Butterflies, PYT, Billie Jean, Earth Song, Can You Feel It,
Working Day And Night, The Girl Is Mine, Say, Say, Say, and
‘We Remember The Time’ you told us that ‘We Are The World’
And to ‘Ease on Down The Road.
You sold out football field stadiums and integrated MTV music videos.
Back in the day we wore your buttons and donned white socks and penny loafers,
And here we stand today in shock and sadness but we know your pain is over.
Michael, we miss you and though you said “Heaven Can Wait’, You Are Not
Alone, and 'I Just Can’t Stop Loving Love You.'
You were a great humanitarian a sensitive human being
Who came to earth and completed your journey now you will have eternal rest
The world loves you ‘Gloved One’ but the Lord truly knows best.
We ‘Never Can Say Goodbye’ to you “Lovely One.’
WE LOVE YOU, MJ.

1905 days ago

Aravind Mallipudi, New York

Even President Reagan recognized Michael on the White House lawn for his contributions.
An American Icon's passing away needed the recognition form the head of the country , the President.
When I first saw the press secretary talking, I felt like the administration was trying its best to dis-associate itself from Michael Jackson and trying to be politically correct. It was like the White House wanted to stay away from scandal by recognizing a "tainted" legacy of Michael ..Sad. What a bad balancing act I thought !
I feel the president could have been the straight-shooter that he always was by immediately recognizing M,.J. for his worth.
A little too late.. The whole world's out-pouring came first and then our own country's president's recognition. Bettr late than never I guess.

1905 days ago

denise rezak

monsieur le president obama barak pouver vous adresser a toute la famille de michael jackson met plus sincere condoleance car en europr on ne comprend pas subitement sa mort moi je ne peut mimaginer que mickael jakson voulait dormir donc mourir il faut que la police du fbi fasse une autopsie balistique c'est a dire que son corps soit soumis a nue analysepar tanparence pour voir si c'est vraiment les medicaments dangereux d'apres le code de deantologie du cinquime amendement du code americain on peut analyser le corps de mickael jaksonpour voir si son corps il n'y a pas autre chose
que l'ame du regretter mickael repose en paix pour l'eterniter il pouvait partir si tot
monsieur le president obama barak que la lumiere soit faite sur la mort de mickael car il ne fumait pas ne buvait et encore moins ne prenait de medicament en plus il etait reconverti a l'islam qui en voulait a mickael au pont de le detruire et q'uil voulait dormir et ne pas se reveiller c'est la que vous dever chercher ???
denise rezak bruxxelles belgique

1902 days ago

sc92705

Once again Obama says the obvious and expects to be hailed for his brilliance.

Obama is also "troubled" about the galloping unemplyment. He can't man up and say his stimulus program is an airball.

1901 days ago

Australian mj fan

Thank you TMZ for your extensive and informative coverage of the tragedic death of the musical legend, Michael Jackson.
As an older MJ fan, I danced and sang to Michael Jackson during my twenties, and have always appreciated his music.
From your readers in Australia, thank you...

Tiffany

GIve me a break people! He wrote a letter expressing his condolences to the family of man he idolized. I'm sure with the type of person he is he would've done it regardless of his presidency. As far as him not doing it for the white people, as some of you say, that is a laugh. Race isn't even an issue. You all want to talk about him not writing letters to ALL of the families who lose their loved ones and at the same time complain about him supposedly not doing his job. I'm sure his job will never get done if he just sits around sending condolences. And stop blaming Obama for the economy because he can't fix it over night, and saying that a black man is the reason for all the job loss and forecloseures and so on and so forth. There is only one person to blame for all this and that man is WHITE... all WHITE.

OBAMA ROCKS

Truth

OH Please. I aint buyin it. He only did that after everyone got on his ass about why he didn't call the family. obama is an idiot. Stop giving him credit when he does not diserve it. What an ASS!

Caring Person

Obama's "reaching out" to Mikey's family is nice, but -- I wish he would soncentrate on fixing the swirling toilet known as our economy....

Neutrual

Even though Obama sent the Jackson family a note (which he should have) he "distanced himself" because of what lies (or truths) others have said even though he was acquitted. He felt he needed to contact the family I guess thinking what would Blacks say if he didn't, at the same time he added that MJ life had sad and tragic aspects to side with those were against MJ. There really was NO need to add that statement other than condolences. MJ broke racial barriers decades ago that united races and differences helped Obama to get into the White House today as Al Sharpten said. He himself is not perfect and no man that walks the earth is. Isn't he now trying to explain his looking at the ass or in the direction of a minor female.

As for the commenter #10, No Obama sent notes to the white kids murdered, kidnapped, or injured and he doesn't send it to all the Black ones either. MJ was known and loved around the world, he broke barriers, started charities and gave to charities to provide for many, and so many other things that are unknown to average everyday people with so called normal lives.

Why do people always have to be judge and jury for something someone is said to have done? I only pray that MJ has the peace that he could never have here because of someone always trying to find fault, their judgments, opinions, prejudices, jealousy, and black lash for good deeds from others.