Michael Jackson's Will Surfaces

6/29/2009 2:13 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael JacksonWe've learned Michael Jackson's lawyer has a copy of the singer's will and he intends to file it with the court.

We're told the Jackson family doesn't have a copy of the will in attorney John Branca's possession. It's unclear how many wills Jackson made but Branca believes it's the most current.

Branca has a long history with Jackson. In 1985, Branca brokered the deal for Jackson to purchase The Beatles' publishing catalogue.

Branca and Jackson stopped working together in 2006 but the singer hired him back just three weeks ago.

Carol

I wouldn't want to see the childer with Joe with his past and what he put his own chilfren thru. He is already telling the media that they will get the kids crazy. A will doesn't give anyone a child that has to be done by the courts. I hope their Mother wants them then they will has a normal life and not be with that crazy old man.

Dancer

I don't think he fired this attorney in 2006. If he was an estate attorney, his job was done at the time that will was drafted. Michael called him back 3 weeks ago apparently, to update the will.

REAL

I bet he let ol bastard joe one of the straps he used to beat MJ with...

I hope all the Money goes to the Kids and Joe does not get a dime..

hell, he will be fine, I just heard he has his own record company hahahahhaha
you common f*ck

The REAL DEAL

For those of you who are not familiar with wills or death, when a will is written it is generally filed and vaulted with a lawfirm or banking institution until the passing of the individual. Being an active "client" of the law firm does not impact the validity of a will. There are legal processes that all law firms follow to ensure if their clients pass or if they are in possession of a will of a deceased person that the will is then made available. It is not normal or required practice that wills be provided to family members by the creator - my will is in good hands until my passing as was my fathers and my mothers.

Please don't comment on things you have no knowledge about - it makes you look foolish.

Jeff

Word is out! The will is old.

"1/2 to my dear friend Elizabeth Taylor. 1/2 to Bubbles."

Bubbles will fight it out with the pretermitted heirs.

Nance

I thought this before...perhaps maybe Michael commited suicide....and as much as I feel he loved his kids... he would want them well taken care of....I saw Joe Jackson on CNN today...what a F**kin bastard...talking about his record label......and that Al Sharpton.... is he a leach or what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rufus T. Firefly

This bolsters the suicide theory. He wanted a new will in place and then said bye-bye 3 weeks later, just before the 50 concerts were going to start. He didn't want the whole world to find out he was broke and all washed up.

vixis

Interesting, how does the court know it's a real signature? When my husband and I did our Wills, our lawyer immediately had it filed with the court because it is stamped with the courts seal and dated as well as notorized. Then we made a copy of the sealed copy and mailed it to who our trustee/executor is so they have a copy as well and we have the original. If indeed this was the sole copy, why didn't this guy file it with the court when Michael originially did it? Why wait until after MJ died to file it?

Common Sense

I've been a quiet lurker since MJ's death (RIP), but something has to be said. Are most of you under 18 or something?

It's common sense to keep a will up-to-date, especially when there's a lot of money and assets at stake (and even more so when children are involved). And especially when someone - Michael in this case - was traveling to another country to embark on a very large tour. Seriously, that didn't occur to one commenter? I would assume that Michael went through many will updates - more than the average person, because things changed a lot. Anytime he gained or lost money, property or another asset, the will would have been updated, in addition to anytime that there was the remote possibility that something (death) could have occurred.

The fact that a will was possibly created in the last 3 weeks makes complete and total sense to anyone who knows anything about wills. In fact, Michel would have been a fool NOT to update a will, with the upcoming tour.

Wills aren't static... They're not something most people will do once and never again. Especially when there is a lot at stake. Many will update - or at least look over, if nothing has changed - their will every 3-5 years.

Valerie McLellan

#11, I agree. After everything that Michael said he suffered at the hands of his father and the lack of action on the part of his mom, I'm not so sure that MJ would want his kids raised by them. However, having said that, maybe they learned their lesson b/c of how miserable, lonely, and distrustful of adults MJ became. One would think that they would avoid the mistakes they made the first time, and that the rest of the family would look out for them as well.

sach2

Like others have said it would be common to update a Will when situations change. The birth of Blanket may have necessitated a change in MJ's Will if the two other children were named individually in previous wills rather than a "to my children" type thing.

Nobody said a new will was written 3 weeks ago. He hired his old attorney back. It has been said MJ fired/pushed away people that told him things he did not want to hear. If this attorney was bright enough to secure such a valuable asset as the Sony catalog then he may also have told MJ back in 2006 that things weren't looking to good financially and his spending habits should change. MJ could have fired him but recently when he needed good advice decided it was time to mend fences.

I'll be interested to hear what this guy has to say.

buddha

i do not like too talk bad a bout the dead but Michael Jackson's iis dead year he was a great man
but all the people crying like idots if people realy like micheal i think they should have been buying his cd in droves
he would be living if he was not on the drugs he was on
live a better life

i will say the MAN could sing yes i seadMAN not god

RxKing

****************************************************************************************************************
CAUSE OF DEATH: Research "MJ Death and Jane Burgermeister Connection" (HINT: Do NOT take a flu vaccine this fall)

Carter

Thank God. Hope he had sense enough to keep the family gold diggers hands slapped back in their place.

AJ

I HOPE MICHAEL MADE ARRANGEMENTS FOR HIS CHILDREN WITH SOMEONE OTHER THAN HIS PARENTS.
THEY DIDN'T DO A GOOD JOB THE FIRST TIME AROUND.

LOOK AT WHAT THE FATHER WANTS TO DO. HE COULDN'T MAKE IT AS AN ENTERTAINER, USED HIS KIDS AND NOW WANTS TO USE HIS DECEASED SON TO DO IT AGAIN. WHAT GOES AROUND, COMES AROUND