Jackson Ticket Odds Are Bad -- Very Bad

7/4/2009 8:48 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael JacksonDon't book your plane tickets yet -- you're probably going to be watching the Michael Jackson memorial from home.

A spokesman for the Jackson family revealed that after only seven hours, over 500,000 people had entered the lottery for memorial tickets. Okay, time for some quick math: that means that roughly 71,500 people per hour have signed up. And if you extend that rate for the remaining 25 hours (especially since the lottery has been opened up to the entire world), you get a total number of around 2.3 million.

Only 8,750 of those people will get tickets to the memorial (two tickets per person), and some of those people will get only get passes to the "satellite event" in the Nokia Theatre across the street-- like watching it on TV but in a pressure cooker with thousands of other people.

The bottom line: a 0.4% chance of getting a ticket. The good news? You're still more likely to get a ticket than get struck by lightning.

terrierlady

Welll....someone has to get tickets.....GOOD LUCK!

BigD

If people from outside the US get the tickets, they are going to be extremely hard pressed to make it to the memorial. Great idea, lousy execution.

liz

WHAT ARE THOSE FANS WANTING TO SEE???? The Staples arena is alway there. Probably more cops and traffic than usual.

MJ won't be there

This is a Memorial Service, not a rock concert, are they all that dumb, that they really don't know the difference?????

Speaks to the lack of intelligence of his fans then

Michael Jackson

I agree, #19. I signed up yesterday and got the first spam this morning that I ever got on the e-mail address I used. I canceled that e-mail account and set up another one.

Michael Jackson

If they take my suggestion, I'd like to buy his bones.

kingquad

David L what are you going to do with his bones? As skinny as he was, they probably would splinter like chicken bones if you gave them to your dog.

hamilTonyan

david L give it up you 15 seconds of fame aree up. You got spaerm in the mail.

liz

I hope people are signing up more than once. If you read the rules, any duplication of name or e-mail address will be an automatic disqualification when the drawing starts. That should eliminate thousands of fools

Andrea

wowwwwwwww...I wanna win this lottery...I'm going from Brazil directly to Michael's funeral....whos bad?

I Will Take Being Born White Any Day - Thats Worth Much More To Me, #6

Fixed...that's one's a bitch.

Marie

Lottery? 17,500? Are you serious? i thought the memorial was to be open to the public? What are they going to do with the other 2 million people that show up!! Are they allowing a walk by like Elvis or the Pope? It will be televised around the world, won't it? Do they realize the fan base? Michael Jackson has been in the business for 42 years, and a large amount of people grew up with him, to some he is a extension of family. His fan base includes 3rd generation baby boomers. He's even more popular overseas. Are they going to turn away the fan that flew in from Japan, or Sweden? And this is just for the memorial. If there is a proper funeral, they will have to shut down 101, 405, and parts of 5. Possibly divert LAX traffic to Ontario's Airport!

Sad

The love and dedication he has from his fans is lifelong and unquestionable. God bless you MJ!

Envoy

David L is a Riot!!!!

Actually.....other than the foreigners I doubt many will show up...

I guess...Like myself..wanted a public viewing..ie James Brown

DomGotHerMemorialTix =)

Ok so the odds r bad BUT I'm sure close 2 half the ppl didn't register correctly and jus ended up disqualifying themselves. Read the official rules, you'll c if u got disqualified or not.
Yeah Michael had fans all over this world BUT common sense should have told them 2 not open it to the world.. Its not like they're gonna be able 2 get all the way out here in time anyways.. Half of the ppl aren't gonna go picc up the tix anyways.. I'm sure sum1 stupid messed up n made up a fictitious name n realizes they can't picc them up without I.d., people signed up and realized they have no way of getting here n mayb not evn a way of going 2 obtain their ticcets.. BAD BAD idea. And the most upsetting thing is that all 11,000 people r not gonna show up while there will be others that didn't win who would have attended.
So I'm assuming the winners that dnt picc up their ticcets r not gonna be given 2 another registered person on the list rite?
This is jus a horrible idea.

Michael R

"what network is televising? any in its entirety?"

E! Network. Yes.