Jackson Ticket Odds Are Bad -- Very Bad

7/4/2009 8:48 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael JacksonDon't book your plane tickets yet -- you're probably going to be watching the Michael Jackson memorial from home.

A spokesman for the Jackson family revealed that after only seven hours, over 500,000 people had entered the lottery for memorial tickets. Okay, time for some quick math: that means that roughly 71,500 people per hour have signed up. And if you extend that rate for the remaining 25 hours (especially since the lottery has been opened up to the entire world), you get a total number of around 2.3 million.

Only 8,750 of those people will get tickets to the memorial (two tickets per person), and some of those people will get only get passes to the "satellite event" in the Nokia Theatre across the street-- like watching it on TV but in a pressure cooker with thousands of other people.

The bottom line: a 0.4% chance of getting a ticket. The good news? You're still more likely to get a ticket than get struck by lightning.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7

MJFan4LIFE

Anyone win yet? -Steve

1903 days ago

patilee

For the loons that still think this "circus" is not costing the tax payers anything, here is a quote from the LAPD and TMZ
"The LAPD will also block off several square blocks around Staples Center (see above) but may expand the area based on the size of the crowd.

To help reduce costs, McDonnell said they would try and send as many cops home as quickly as possible -- crowd size willing -- and that cops making OT would be the first to go. So far, he said, no private entities have step forward to help alleviate the cost. "

Note the words, "to save money" and "overtime"

So it's ok to lay off teachers, furlough employees, close parks, but we are being forced to pay for this!!!???!!!

1903 days ago

Mel

I haven't won yet..anyone? If I do win, I'm going to drive like a bat out of hell to get there. I don't care about the crowds, no body or how badly organized this is....I want to say goodbye to someone I grew up with; and this is it.

1903 days ago

Txsunshine

#9 how could you even compare Michael Jackson to a princess or the king of rock n' roll? Michael Jackson was a child molester. Everyone seems to be forgetting about all of the children that he infected! No he was never officially convicted because he had the $20MM to pay them off but he was still charged.

Personally our world is a safer place for our children now that he is gone.

1903 days ago

ordinary citizen that is held accountable for his actions

I got tickets, but how do I know to which event it is? It says Staples Center on the voucher, but will they direct me to Nokia when I get to Dodger Stadium???

1903 days ago

Marie

125- Dodgers Stadium down the road from Staple Center, Nokia directly across frrom Staple Center. Hopefully they will supply transportation.
107- Agree w/u! I dont mean to show any disrespect to the Jackson family, God Bless them, they are going through enough, but I sure would like to know who did the planning. They should have pushed it until Thursday and allow the fans to pay their respects by a walk thru. It also would have allowed fans sometime to figure out a way of getting here ($$$). I don't believe the ones that are handling the memorial, etc. relize the magnitude. Sure they keep saying WorldWide but they havn't grasped the reality of it.

1903 days ago