Liz Taylor Avoiding Jackson Memorial 'Whoopla'

7/6/2009 7:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The guest list for tomorrow's Michael Jackson Staples Center memorial is pretty prestigious -- but one person who definitely won't be there: Dame Elizabeth Taylor.

Elizabeth Taylor Twitter
Taylor just wrote on her Twitter: "I've been asked to speak at the Staples Center. I cannot be part of the public whoopla.
And I cannot guarantee that I would be coherent to say a word. I just don't believe that Michael would want me to share my grief with millions of others. How I feel is between us. Not a public event. I said I wouldn't go to the Staples Center and I certainly don't want to become a part of it. I love him too much."

And, for the record, she also writes she's "not on suicide watch."

tara ortiz

Reynaldo

GOOD FOR HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! At least SHE is showing some class by respecting and grieving for MJ the person, NOT just because he was known worldwide!! She obviously doesn't feel the need to jump on the latest fad-the MJ memorial bandwagon and pretending to be one of his best friends!! Seems like many of the ones participating tomorrow are there because they are headliners who will make a more dramatic presence to the "memorial service"-puhleeze!! No word on the Jacksons or his "friends" who have money paying-they want the notoriety being associated with this event-BUT they don't want to pay anything. Instead let the taxpayers pay for it. What a bunch of phony hypocrits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! When was the last time that Brooke Shields spoke to MJ?? John Mayer???? Mariah Carey????????
How much of this is about MJ the person or is it more about a african american singer?? Where was Al Sharpton speaking at when Farrah passed away the same day as MJ??? Al Sharpton seems to only speak out where african americans are at-period!! That speaks volumes. IF it's true that MJ's siblings believe their brothers wishes should be respected AND carried out then I'm proud of them!!!!!!! Everyone else sees $$$$$ signs! Very pathetic, evil and sad!

TJones

I guess you know who your true friends are. When you die, they forget all about you! What a loser!

tiger'smomaphonytoo

I'm betting the answer is NOT. It's almost laughable at the coverage...our media must be the laughing stock of the world right now.

wundersmack

Somehow, whenever anyone mentions the Staples Center, I think of the Louisiana Superdome. :(

Mikey

Jemaine will be perform at the event. I guess he figures its a good gig to try to re start his career.

Just Sad.................

CD

good for you liz! everyone has different ways to grieve and remember lost loved ones. she always was a true friend to michael. those haters need to leave her alone. shes not a bad friend for not going, leave her to grieve in peace.

Reynaldo

. SHE AINT GOING BECAUSE SHE IS GOING TO THE PRIVATE SERVICES WITH THE FAMILY AT THE SAME TIME OF THE STAPLES CENTER!!! WHAT A BUNCH OF FOOLS! HOOCK LINE AND SINKER!!!!!!

Posted at 6:45PM on Jul 6th 2009 by tara ortiz

Sweet pea-the private funeral is BEFORE the one at the Staples Center!! So get your facts and your groove on honey!!!!!lol lol lol lol

Janey

Dame Elizabeth has been in frail health for a long time now. I wouldn't expect her to be well enough to attend. And- Elizabth Taylor was born in England- not America- therefore the title.

TJones

She wasnt a true friend anyway! He just didnt realize it tho

music4life

awwwwww how sad. Yeah its better for her not to attend its going to be a circus down there and it would just be too emotionally draining. And everyone is grieving for him not just his mom or his kids, their going through an awful time but so is all his family and friends and fans.

CW

Good for Liz. finally a person who actually respects MJ. He would not have wanted the circus that has become his memorial service.

cat

I actually send cards to soldiers among other things # 39 - its always good to check before assuming though...and I am still keeping up with my daily doses of world events. I do however enjoy the coverage ( I grew up with the MJ music ) and dont think he did anything to kids....

39. When one of our soldier's dies for YOUR FREEDOM...do you Michael Jackson followers...show the same concern as you do for Michael Jackson's death?

deita

I'm sad...just so sad.

music4life

whenever you lose someone you love or care about its just awful and tragic. Their is like a hole in your heart and a pain and sadness that never goes away, you miss that person forever. Too sad :(