Liz Taylor Avoiding Jackson Memorial 'Whoopla'

7/6/2009 7:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The guest list for tomorrow's Michael Jackson Staples Center memorial is pretty prestigious -- but one person who definitely won't be there: Dame Elizabeth Taylor.

Elizabeth Taylor Twitter
Taylor just wrote on her Twitter: "I've been asked to speak at the Staples Center. I cannot be part of the public whoopla.
And I cannot guarantee that I would be coherent to say a word. I just don't believe that Michael would want me to share my grief with millions of others. How I feel is between us. Not a public event. I said I wouldn't go to the Staples Center and I certainly don't want to become a part of it. I love him too much."

And, for the record, she also writes she's "not on suicide watch."

horse therapist

Class act all the way

LIZBETH

agree with her!!

lena

finally, refreshingly a real human being. bravo dame elizabeth.

Allred Tree

Good for her! She is wise to grieve at home in private! Who in their right mind would want to get in the middle of those crowds. I do hope Ms. Taylor is doing well. Considering the horrific health problems she has endured, she is better off staying home and watching on television.

REAL

Geezzz

the Woman is in very bad health, Give Her a Break..

I think She Shows Real Class not attending this Circus.....

Good For Your Liz.. I am betting You knew Michael Much better than his family did..

TJones

She should go.

CL

I have a great deal of respect for her in making this choice.

Linda Mott

Liz has always been a faithful and true friend.

Marina

THANK YOU ELIZABETH TAYLOR! MICHAEL SHOULD BE RESPECTED NOT TO USE IS DEATH FOR SHOWS AND CONCERTS. I REALLY CAN'T BELIEVE THAT EVEN HIS MEMORIAL SERVICE IS USED TO MAKE MONEY. THIS PEOPLE HAVE NO SHAME AT ALL . I WONDER HOW THEY WHOULD FEEL IF THEY LOOSE A FAMILY MEMBER ? HAVE THEY THOUGHT ABOUT HIS FAMILY AND HIS KIDS HOW THEY FEEL? THIS IS NOT A CIRCUS A MAN AN ICON JUST LOST HIS LIFE AND BECAME A VICTIM OF CARELESS DOCTORS WHO THINK ONLY ABOUT MONEY. LIFE IS NOT FOREVER NO ONE TAKES ANYTHING WITH THEM AT THE END WHAT STAYES IS A MEMORY WHO YOU WERE AND WHAT YOU DONE .
I LOVE YOU MICHAEL YOU ARE SO SPECIAL FOR ME AND I WILL REMEMBER YOU FOREVER! A TRUE TALENT ONE AND ONLY KING OF POP!

cheri

I can't help but compare this to the death of John Lennon. There was a comparable outpouring of grief, possibly even more due to the way John died...a man so outspoken about peace and tolerance being taken from us in a senseless act of violence.

Maybe many of you are too young to remember how the aftermath was handled. While I've never been a Yoko fan, she really did right by John AND his fans. There was no spectacle, no viewing of the body or any type of publoic memorial service.

Instead, she asked for 10 minutes of silence globally. And for one 10 minute period, the world was silent. Radios and tv stations broadcasted dead air,. If you looked around, there was a noticealbe break in the traffic. People spent that ten minutes mourning our great loss together.

It was tasteful. It was inclusive. In an all too imperfect situation, it was the perfect solution.

tinaweena

God Bless you Elizabeth Taylor you are one of a kind and a true lady!!

Helmut

#36

This was my opinion, too. Until i began to read quite a lot in the last days about MJ.
From what i read, MJ did NOT pay. It was his insurer that payed, although he was against it.
If that's true and you take into his biography into account, how a sensible and shy person he was, his life was a real tragedy. His liking of children, because he was a child himself and never grew up, was transformed by the media into a crime. Nobody can imagine, how he must have suffered, if he was not guilty. But nevertheless he never spoke publicly in anger about the people prosecuting him he just pleaded the press, to stop telling lies.

cat

Liz may end up going - she is basically letting us know on her twitter that she is not in shape to deliver a eulogy .... give her a break.

I really hope the kids are not forced to go to the public. thing...they will just come from the private and god knows they have been sheltered by MJ up to this point - (and lets hope they are still be ing sheltered from the coverage) I hope they would allow them to go home after the private if they are not up to it ....heck if the family has had enough court today - long day ahead tomorrow. I think the fans would understand if grandma took the kids home.... Joe will be einough for one more sitting.

I really would like to see how the 3 kids look like they are holding up.... but wants what is best and this circus may not be best!

JMHO

Beulah

Way to go Ms. Taylor! You just proved once more- how much class & integrity you possess.

taurus01man

I KNEW she wouldn't go. She won't go to his funeral either. Just like she DIDN'T go to her best friend James Deans' funeral, just like she DIDN'T go to her best friend Montgomery Clifts' funeral, & just like she DIDN'T go to her best friend Rock Hudsons' funeral. Yes Liz, you really are a true friend