Liz Taylor Avoiding Jackson Memorial 'Whoopla'

7/6/2009 7:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The guest list for tomorrow's Michael Jackson Staples Center memorial is pretty prestigious -- but one person who definitely won't be there: Dame Elizabeth Taylor.

Elizabeth Taylor Twitter
Taylor just wrote on her Twitter: "I've been asked to speak at the Staples Center. I cannot be part of the public whoopla.
And I cannot guarantee that I would be coherent to say a word. I just don't believe that Michael would want me to share my grief with millions of others. How I feel is between us. Not a public event. I said I wouldn't go to the Staples Center and I certainly don't want to become a part of it. I love him too much."

And, for the record, she also writes she's "not on suicide watch."

me

Put something up about Axl Rose. Michael Jackson is getting boring.

ole man

Good for her...i am so over all this crap about him, he was NOT a God, and his family should be ashamed of themselves for trying to profit from it. I am just so disgusted with all the press his passing has created. And Sharpton and Jessie jackson, they are an abomination, true media whores, and rascists.....ok, i have ranted enough. I am hoping that as of Wednesday, TMZ can return to normal....although i doubt it

Jstbtrflyz

I'm glad she's decided not to attend the Rev Jackson/Sharkton/Joe The Abuser Jackson circus. And I'm glad that she Twittered her reasons. By doing so, for all those that were asking in another thread why she wasn't attending, now you have your answer.

noella

Kobe, Mariah, Jennifer...and elephants? Lowlifes didn't associate with MJ. Liz is showing what a friend she truly is by not attending this disgusting spectacle! I won't be watching this s***.

Paulie Wants a Cracker

Notice how she sent love to Katherine and Michaels kids but not Joe Jackson or his brothers and sisters. Regardless if Michael loved his mother she is way too old to raise those kids. How unfair to bring someone into their lives to only have her taken away. They shouldn't do that to those poor kids. I believe if Katherine does Joe will be legally next in line to get those kids. That is not only a sin but a scary thought. The death has had to take toll on her and taken years off her life and she isn't strong enough to keep Joe away from those kids. Someone help those kids. Good for you Elizabeth stay away from the madness. I'm sure Joe is behind this trying to make money off the death of the son he beat to cause him an to be unstable adult.

Marisa

you know.....it wouldnt be a bad idea for the family to carry out their private funeral and burial during the public memorial. This way the crowds are at staples while they are tending to Michaels final rest.
RIP Michael

shakingmyhead

Finally, someone in the entertainment world with some class!

SayingItLikeItIs

At least someone involved in this FIASCO has some CLASS.

Reynaldo

Elizabeth Taylor is part of Hollywood's dying breed-classy women. She has enough class, respect, love, and admiration for MJ, that she doesn't feel the need to join the circus that will be help tomorrow at Staples Center. The "celebrities" that will be attending, are as one writer put it-jumping on the MJ bandwagon because right now it's the "in" thing to do. Plus THEY will be in the spotlight. Do some of you think that Mariah Carey has more class than Elizabeth Taylor because she's going to be there-probably with her breasts all exposed as usual!! Mr. Sharpton NEVER misses an opportunity to talk, so WHY doesn't he address the reasons why the Jacksons aren't paying for this media circus that they're calling a "memorial"?? It's a joke and Elizabeth Taylor knows it, and had the class and guts to say NO! Way to go girl!!!! Michael would understand because he knew how you felt about him, and he would also be proud of you! You are one class act!!!

Penelope

WOW-this woman doesnt seize to amaze me. Class act- NOT.

beachy

I'm sick of all the Michael Jackson stuff!

cat

I did read earlier somwhere?? that Ringling Brothers is doing an Elephant parade at 3:00AM tonight .... the all night fans on the streets (could not get a room close enough or whatever will get a neat sideshow - I think MJ would have liked this tooo...lol

I am not kinding on this one

KatieJack1987

OMG!!!!! Please stop comparing an entertainer's passing to that of a U.S. Troop. It's not the entertainer's fault--damn!!!! Blame the media for that, and stop supporting those who aren't covering those losses. I don't see an icon honoring our troops here (on TMZ). Honestly, the president should be the one to acknowledge such losses. C'mon......duh!!!!!

Roro

I though she was just another senile old has-been.

MJ is ♥

Classy of Ms. Taylor. She is a true friend to MJ.