Liz Taylor Avoiding Jackson Memorial 'Whoopla'

7/6/2009 7:03 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The guest list for tomorrow's Michael Jackson Staples Center memorial is pretty prestigious -- but one person who definitely won't be there: Dame Elizabeth Taylor.

Elizabeth Taylor Twitter
Taylor just wrote on her Twitter: "I've been asked to speak at the Staples Center. I cannot be part of the public whoopla.
And I cannot guarantee that I would be coherent to say a word. I just don't believe that Michael would want me to share my grief with millions of others. How I feel is between us. Not a public event. I said I wouldn't go to the Staples Center and I certainly don't want to become a part of it. I love him too much."

And, for the record, she also writes she's "not on suicide watch."

EGGO

Why do some of you keep bringing up Jessie Jackson and Al sharpton? I thought this memorial was for MJ .The people scheduled on the program meant something to MJ or the Jackson family ....not to you. It doesn't matter who will speak or sing tommorow......they meant something to MJ and they obviously love MJ Nobody cares who you don't like or who you do like. When your dumb ass dies, your people can have who you liked on your program!!!!! R.I.P.(if you can) MICHAEL

Cleveland-West_Side

She's probably too embarrassed to attend a "Pro-Child Molestation Convention."

WiddoMouse

Glad to hear that Elizabeth is keeping her distance from this "event". She is a classy lady. Mourn your own way and in your own private venue. What is going to happen at the Staples Center tomorrow is going to make Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey Circus seem like a quilting bee. Chaos for the sake of chaos. How can there be any degree of decorem when the "winners" won their seats in a giant raffle?

LisaK

Liz Taylor is a true friend of MJ. Miss. Taylor you are one classy lady. I don't blamer her one bit.

Gia

Good for you Liz. A classy move by a true Hollywood legend.

dee

Elizabeth (we know you hate to be called Liz), you are doing the right thing and what Michael would want you to do. You also have to take care of yourself and with the pain you live with, you don't belong in a place like that.

Reynaldo

80. I though she was just another senile old has-been.

Posted at 7:41PM on Jul 6th 2009 by Roro
Even Though I don't agree-IF anyone wants to call her "just another senile old has-been"-at least she's one with class!!!! This public "memorial" is about MJ on the surface, but underneath it's about celebs getting in the spotlight on someone else's misfortune-in this case-death! And it's about keeping the fans happy so they will continue to spend their hard earned money on MJ stuff which makes more money for papa joe! This memorial is as big of a joke as Papa and Mama Jackson's marriage is and has been for years!!! WHY celebrate a anniversary (just recently) if you haven't been living together as man and wife for years?? I mean, what is the point??? It's a sham-just like Al Sharpton is! Where was he when Farrah and others (non black) passed away??? There shouldn't be anything to do with race here-it's about Michael Jackson passing away. But it is-with Al and papa joe!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They both get to be in the spotlight-all at MJ's expense!!!! It's very sad, pathetic, and phony!!

SS

How sick would Sharpton and Jesse Jackson have to be to miss this? I can't even imagine anything short of a brain hemorrhage. Hahaha!

ddberry

As much as I despise MJ, I have total respect for Ms. Taylor. She is probably one of very few people in MJ's life that truly cared about him, and not his fame & fortune.

Beulah

" It isn't our business to live anybody's life, or to die anybody's death, except our own. Not to save anybody's soul, nor to put anybody in the right;... but to be still, and to ignore the false fine fenzy of the something world. To turn away, now, each one into the stillness and solitue of his own soul."

who gives a shit

The lady still has class! She would be crazy to go! It would be dangerous for her to be there!

ilovetheshowmadmen

Elizabeth Taylor has class and no doubt is quite emotional. In addition, WHY have none of the Jackson clan except Jermaine spoken up? Oh, and of course big Daddy Joe.... but why nothing from the sisters at least?

Maddy

She was such a good friend to Michael. This must be so difficult for her. I've heard that the memorial service will have people talking about what Michael meant to them and how he influenced their lives,their music and dance.

I remember when Michael accepted his Grammy Legend award he said it meant so much to him to be recognized as a person and not a personality. I hope that's how the service is tomorrow.

Marina

NOT ENOUGH MJ WAS A VICTIM OF CARELESS DOCTORS WHO CARE ONLY ABOUT MONEY BUT NOW THEY MADE HIS MEMORIAL SERVICE A CIRCUS BY SELLING TICKETS ,T SHIRTS, I GUESS THEY ARE ALWAYS HUNGRY FOR MONEY ITS NEVER ENOUGH FOR THEM AND THEY FORGOT ABOUT RESPECT. SAD VERY SAD .

a lipstick Lesbian

Liz is not going? Another person who couldn't score a ticket!