Jackson Chopper Contingency

7/7/2009 1:05 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael JacksonUPDATE: Correction: Wick tells us the chopper is NOT meant to carry Michael's body and is just there for "emergency purposes only."

Law enforcement tells us their contingency plan to get Michael Jackson from Forest Lawn to Staples Center has some danger associated with it.

L.A. City Fire Captain William Wick says if a processional on the freeway is too dicey, a fire dept. chopper will take Jackson's body to downtown L.A. But he says "I'm concerned for our pilot's safety," because of the 20 news choppers hovering around in a tight air space.

Capt. Wick says he's considering calling the FAA to restrict the airspace.

Again, the plan is to take Jackson's body by motorcade -- the helicopter plan is the contingency, but they're getting ready for it.

UPDATE: Captain Wick told us the FAA has granted permission to clear a one mile area of airspace -- called a "temporary flight restriction" -- and says he's "highly considering" using the grant.

adam

go ahead and spend more of california's money that they dont have this is crazy the jackson family should be paying for all of this hell they probably have more money than the state of california.

susan

Fire Dept. chopper, 1/3 of the police force, restricting airspace, shutting down highways during rush hour, all paid for by a city that is $500,000,000 in debt and a state that can't even pay their citizens their owed tax refunds. This circus is being estimated at a cost of $2-4 million. If the city and state absorb this cost, there should be a public outcry from the citizens.

atabaw

Yea right people - just like OJ was inocent right! NOT - I wonder if its gonna be an open casket, that would be freaky cuz he has been on ice for a whole week. About the flower arrangements, why should the family spend so much money - let California pay for the bill. RIP MJ - let your troubled, sick soul finally rest - that is untill you get judged by GOD, hopefully he will forgive you and your twisted ways to allow you to enter. I pray he does.

Sandbox

Has everyone lost their freekin minds?? Good Lord, BURY THE MAN ALREADY AND LET'S MOVE ON!! This is crazy that the City of Los Angeles - so in debt that they are laying off city workers, is allowing this SHOW to take place. The hours being put in by police, SWAT (are you kidding me??), security, is just DISGUSTING. Shutting down a freeway at rush hour so the family can drive to the funeral home?? REALLY?? My God, what a sad commentary on our society that we idolize a man who was talented, yes, but extremely flawed and in the end, just a man.

gog

Please get him into the hole so we can get back to normal

Andrew

I AM SO Thankful to Not Live in California!!! =) HaHaHa!

You're Killing Me Larry

Bring back Bob Tur and his his mighty Astar AS-350 (with the big engine.)

Bobbi

GOOD GAWD!!!!!
This man has been dead 19 days already!
Any NORMAL family would have had this man buried!!
They are ALL a bunch of FREAKS!!!!!

Nasty Nate

Funny part of all of this is the simple fact that it is the people of LA that are creating the extra costs that they will have to pay. If they did not fall for the hype, then none of this would be going on. You get what you deserve at the end of the day people.

liz

NOW THEY HAVE GONE BEYOND RIDICULOUS, NO WONDER LA/CALIFORNIA HAS SUCH A REPUTATION!!!!!!!

THEY ARE ALL KOOKS

IT IS PROBABLY AN EMPTY CASKET ANYWAY

TxHotGirl_HTown

I'm still in disbelief /denial Michael has checked out of here. I guess since I was in flight when it was first reported I haven't accepted Michael is gone. It seems like he's dtill here with all the songs and media coverage showing him alive. It's almost like he has done something heroic. Very disturbing how much media coverage. I guess if/when I see his body lying stiff in his coffin it will finally hit me. Very sad - I enjoyed his legacy.

D.B. Cooper

Get Tommy Lee's pilot to do this!!! I'm sure he won't complain!

WTF

How much money has the Jackson family MADE LA!? How much is rolling in RIGHT NOW in tax dollars being spent by visitors to the Los Angeles area because of recent events?! How much MONEY does LA make off the entertainment industry? $4million is NOTHING compared to what that city rakes in off of the backs of C E L E B R I T Y! Don't blame the national debt and mismanagement on someone who brought so much to the world let alone LA. Do the math!

NEEK

BREAKING NEWS ON CNN:
MJ CORPSE TO BE PARACHUTED FROM HELICOPTER INTO STAPLES CENTER. THE BODY TO BE FITTED WITH A PADDED NAMBLA BEAR OUTFIT TO CUSHION THE LANDING.

Bobbi

I soooooooooooo agree with post #8.

| 1 | 2 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments