« BACK TO TMZ TMZ

Michael Phelps is Back

... And So is the 'Buzz'

7/11/2009 1:50 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Michael Phelps is back in America's good graces after setting a new world record this week -- too bad a highly ironic advertisement on Subway's website keeps rehashing Phelps' pot smokin' past.

Michael Phelps is Back... And So is the 'Buzz'

A rep for Subway tells us we have the bong wrong idea -- saying it's just an unfortunate coincidence, adding the Fresh Buzz site has been around for 3 years.

By the way, Phelps says when he gets the munchies, he goes for the meatball sub with jalapeno -- no word if he likes it toasted.

For more sports stories, check out tmzsports.com!

hawkman14

well lets just put it this way...phelps can do more higher than a kite than any other person in olympic history

Linda Mott

I personally never hat pot but this is a kid that did one illegal, at this time, act and should be forgiven.The good he has done far outweighs the bad. Give the kid a break.

whatever

GET OVER IT!!! This is ridiculous! So the man smoked some weed...big freaking deal. He STILL is and will ALWAYS be the greatest Olympic swimmer of all time! There is no arguing with that...people can talk but the medals and the world records say it all. Last time I checked weed was not a performance enhancement drug, I would like to see anyone try to break a world record and win a gold medal after smoking a joint...I can guarantee you it ain't gonna happen! This whole situation had nothing to do with his performance in Beijing and it should not overshadow his accomplishments in the pool.

Juliette

LEAVE HIM ALONE. HE'S A GOOD GUY WHO MADE A MISTAKE. I'M SURE ALL OF YOU WHO ARE UPSET WITH HIM HAVE NEVER DONE ANYTHING WRONG IN YOUR LIFE BEFORE......RIGHT???? LET HE WHO IS WITHOUT SIN CAST THE FIRST STONE. NO ONE CAN DO IT. LET MICHAEL MOVE ON!!!

ASHLEY

honestly, who gives two sh*ts about michael phelps, so what he smoked some dope, that's not important enough to make headlines, and not to mention, he is ugly as all get out,

Robert

how do you know if weed is the only thing he's used?

I Will Take Being Born White Any Day - Thats Worth Much More To Me, #6

Love the the comment, #8 - and shouts out to TMZ for the "bong/wrong" line.

Helldorado

But...but...but they told me marijuana would make you into a baby raping do nothing loser!

I guess they might have lied.
LOL!

If marijuana is illegal because it has no medicinal value, why they are cigarettes legal?
I mean aside from their massive lobby group and tons of money given to the GOP.
Besides that... why?

orlandojon

Phelps is just a freak, except for the bong hits...he is forgettable

Commodore Donald

He's a neanderthal a-hole. So he swims fast. So what. Useless dildo.

Melody

OMG! It was pot! Who hasn't smoked it? Ask Bill Clinton, he will tell you. I can't believe it is illegal but cigarettes and alchohol are. I love my country and all, but it is back-asswards that an 18 year old boy can join the service and die for our country, but can't legally drink a beer! How crazy is that?

vegasks

For all of you that feel pot is no big deal, how would you feel if someone who was high on pot was driving and hit an killed one of your friends or family members?

JANE DOE

FUNNY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cwazy

Over pot? Seriously. Pot isn't as big as a deal as oh, steroids, all the medication found in michaels home, adderall, ritalin, you catch my drift....theres worse things he could've done to train......So he smoked some pot when he was not training.....oops, He made a mistake. HES HUMAN.. I am sure a lot of you have tried pot yourself...admit it. (well maybe you won't) or have gotten drunk before you were of legal age.....yet people go down on him. Yes he had a DUI before he was of legal age....it happens. My brother had a few, reason i do NOT drink. Maybe you didn't but i know a lot of kids have tried it and a lot of adults use it for pain. ALTHOUGH im sure thats not why michael phelps used it. But at the same time, It's not like he is abusing drugs....least i don't think so. He seems like a smart person. But then again so did michael jackson and we all know what happened to him :(. Sometimes being smart isn't good enough. BUT we are all human and make stupid mistakes. I know i have.

I know i can admit i tried pot. I never bought or sold it...But i did try it when i was younger. Was it something i was into? Not really. Just did it because my friends did it....I could not stand being high. Just like i can't stand being drunk. I'd pry take 1 hit and act high just to be a dork. But i learned thats not the way to go. I prefer to be high on life.

Sure it may be a gateway drug to some people, who have addictive personalities & are wanting to get high. But for some, its not that big of a deal. Not everyone who does pot or did it goes on to higher drugs. Although, i personally hope michael (phelps, not jackson) learned his lesson.

Ironic, both are named michael.

cwazy

BTW someone smoking weed should NOT be driving like a drunk driver should NOT be driving either. I admit, that is a very poor decision. ALSO people on pain medication and lack of sleep should not drive. NOT always are people high when they kill someone driving. JUST practice safe driving, and be smart.

I do NOT condone driving drunk or high. I actually think theres enough crazy drivers in this world as it is SOBER......

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments