Madonna's Stage Collapses

One Dead

7/16/2009 1:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The stage for Madonna's concert in Marseille, France collapsed today, killing one person and injuring nine.

Madonna: Click to watch
The collapse occurred at the Velodrome stadium where Madonna was going to perform on July 19. We're told the roof of the stage collapsed on top of the workers. Fire officials in Marseille tell us two of the injured workers are in critical condition -- one is an American.

madonnaFrench papers say the concert has been canceled.

UPDATE: Madonna has issued the following statement: "I am devastated to have just received this tragic news. My prayers go out to those who were injured and their families along with my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this heartbreaking news."

UPDATE
: A second man is now being reported as dead.

Story developing...

Gina

I hope the people injured will be alright.

I see that the same no class posters are at it again.

MADRADDER

omg polarbear so funny

fournier

AS for knowing if the show will probably go on
The dead and the injuried are from the tour staff.. so probably not going on for Marseille and the next scheduled shows.

sandika

FIRST! I always wanted to say that. Maybe someday I'll actually BE first.

Nah.

viewer101

lol@polarbear
#12
you're my hero.

hahahahahahahahahahaha

THe stage actually fell into her gaping hole.

iwanttoholdyourbigtits

FIRST........ya slow biotches!!!

nony

How awful; sympathies to the family that lost their loved one and prayers for a speedy recovery to the ones injured. Thank God Madonna wasn't on that stage; we've already lost the King of Pop and certainly wouldn't want to lose our Queen of Pop too! Rock On Madonna; your true fans love you!

Christophe DIRAND

Show cancelled (Mayor office)

chicken head

whats wrong Madonna ?? too much attention on the Jackson family?? so you had to kill one of your own??
YOU SICK SICK NEW AGE SUPER MOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
just because you bought a baby in Africa doesn't make you a proud black baby momma

danielle

OMG she doesn't own the stage the production company that pays her to put on the concerts is in charge of providing this crap. and its true they are always in a hurry to put these things up.

Antoinette

Those things should be sturdy, shouldn't they? I mean they have to hold lots of people and equipment. Poor guy,

Kevin

Too bad the stage didnt collapse when the whore was on it.

zimzoul

I'm french, I live in Marseille, is the stage of the Olympique de Marseille (soccer) Winner of the Champions League in 1993, with the best public europe. Allez l'OM! ! ! R.I.P

Allknowingone

It is ridiculous to think that somehow Madonna is responsible for this tragedy.