Madonna's Stage Collapses

One Dead

7/16/2009 1:54 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

The stage for Madonna's concert in Marseille, France collapsed today, killing one person and injuring nine.

Madonna: Click to watch
The collapse occurred at the Velodrome stadium where Madonna was going to perform on July 19. We're told the roof of the stage collapsed on top of the workers. Fire officials in Marseille tell us two of the injured workers are in critical condition -- one is an American.

madonnaFrench papers say the concert has been canceled.

UPDATE: Madonna has issued the following statement: "I am devastated to have just received this tragic news. My prayers go out to those who were injured and their families along with my deepest sympathy to all those affected by this heartbreaking news."

UPDATE
: A second man is now being reported as dead.

Story developing...

LensmanCT

Probably just set up as a publicity stunt. Now she will want to adopt the dead guy's kids.

Seb from France

Madonna's Wallet Collapses, One Dead

J D

To bad this skank didn't get her neck broken too!!!!!!!

Madonnasakunt

she'll make some half assed apology to their families but continue the tour pretending to sing counting her money with Live Nation. She better offer the victims some serious cash!

Madonnasakunt

If I had a ticket for any of the upcoming shows I would get my money back. I think everyone should boycott the tour, if she does continue it. #83 is right she released a statement. She was probably sitting at the spa when one of her manager's assistants wrote that statement. Most insincere bitch I have ever heard of. Live Nation is the Devil. they need to quit being so f*cking greedy. seriously. I work under those steel stages and I know how all of this works. Every time I see her picture or hear that god awful music I want to throw up.

And there is no excuse not to go to the funeral of the one that died and go see the others in the hospital and apologize god forbid they die too.

dr fred

IT SHOULD BE HER DEAD
f*cking whore, she does NOT care 1 bit

nancy

Didn't she have problems with her stage some time ago, in Los Angeles? Part of the stage collapsed, the show was delayed? Think so.

Lovely Rita

Did you check out those pix of her tour (insert) ? What is UP with her arm in #7? She is so fugly. At least the crotch shots are minimal.

crvygrly

Would it kill her to learn the person's name and include it in her statement? It sounds so heartless to mention "those who were injured and their families." What a generic statement!

Melanie Hoyle

Yeeouch!!!!!! Good thing she wasn't on stage when it happened.

Bram

@ 95
Since TMZ is not updating I will do it. She has talked about on stage in Italy. She cried and said TWO people lost their lives. She also stated their names. To say she needs to cancel the rest of the tour is hypocrite. Do the people who say that cancel their flight when a plane crashed the same morning? Hell no! You guys get on that plane anyway. Do you guys stop taking the subway when somebdy killed himslef by jumping infront of it? Again. I bet the awnser is no. Life goes on. Madonna is not to blame. She is not in charge of building the stage. French media says one of the crane's had a defect which caused the accident. *Off topic* the hate and stupidity on this site amazes me.

I Will Take Being Born White Any Day - Thats Worth Much More To Me, #6

I agree with #1, and I agree even more with #3.

Woo Hoo!!!!

Not surprised. The old whore's so cheap she probably bought the stage from China, so no wonder it fell apart.

Kathryn

Why couldn't it have been her - why God? Why not her?

Annette

Couldn't have happened when she was on it. Rats!