Walter Cronkite -- And That's the Way It Is

7/17/2009 9:18 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary CBS broadcast journalist Walter Cronkite has died.

Cronkite was known as "the most trusted man in America" -- legendary for delivering the news of President John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963 and the lunar landing in 1969.

Three weeks ago Cronkite's family revealed he had been suffering for years with cerebrovascular disease and was not expected to recuperate.

Cronkite was the anchor of the CBS network news from 1962 to 1981. He was known for signing off by saying, "And that's the way it is."

Cronkite died at home in New York at 7:42 PM -- he was 92.

TJ

The last of the real journalists. He was the face of America for all those years. We trusted him and he comforted us in very trying times. God Bless Mr. Cronkite and thank you. R.I.P.

singermagic1

He was the very best, I still remember, as a young child, hearing him tell the world about the shooting of JFK in Dallas, his voice breaking but going on delivering the news.

thinkaboutit

I'll also remember him as Amateur Radio Operator KB2GSD.

73, Walter.

Judy

Walter Cronkite was an icon, someone to emulate a real journalist who gave us the news not gossip and sensationalism that we get now. Great man who led a good long life. My sympathy to his family.

beccaboo1212

God bless Mr. Cronkite and his family. My sympathies and prayers are with them. He was the last journalist with integrity. TMZ can never hold a candle to someone like Mr. Cronkite. (But you CAN aspire.....)

Wait a minute,that's my house!

A much loved journalist, even to us Canadians...I haven't heard him speak for years, but I can hear his voice even now.

Mary

An authentic legend to the Boomers and their parents who have now passed on...R.I.P, intelligent, beautiful, and classy man with the reassuring golden voice who made us all feel safe and comforted as he presented "truthful" nightly news.

Tomorrow's front page news around the World....WE LOVED YOU, WALTER CRONKITE!!!!

beccaboo1212

Give a little leeway to the haters. They are all under 21 and have no idea who this remarkable man was and the impact he had on this country and the world. "And that's the way it is"

Tricia

Walter was an outstanding news man and an amazing human being. My condolences to his family, friends, and millions of fans who will miss him dearly. And that's the way it is.

They about to get paid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Break out the gold casket,send over Jessie Jackson and Al Sharpton,a legend has just died,Get ready Queenie and Maria Carey and LA .WE need 1.4 million dollars for a funeral,oh, this was a white guy,Jessie and Al wont be showing there Grill at this funeral

Mark Byrn

It's shocking that Walter Cronkite died at only 92 years of age - I guess the good ones really do all die young.

Rock Singer

Wait a minute didn't Michael Jackson leave his kids to Walter

moveover

What a class act. From Walter Cronkite to Katie Couric .... how far CBS has fallen. Tsk tsk tsk.

azh01e

*yank yank*

Tonia

Goodnight Mr. Cronkite...I will always remember you with fondness.