Walter Cronkite -- And That's the Way It Is

7/17/2009 9:18 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary CBS broadcast journalist Walter Cronkite has died.

Cronkite was known as "the most trusted man in America" -- legendary for delivering the news of President John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963 and the lunar landing in 1969.

Three weeks ago Cronkite's family revealed he had been suffering for years with cerebrovascular disease and was not expected to recuperate.

Cronkite was the anchor of the CBS network news from 1962 to 1981. He was known for signing off by saying, "And that's the way it is."

Cronkite died at home in New York at 7:42 PM -- he was 92.

thinkaboutit

If ever a celebrity was more deserved of a state funeral, it's Walter Cronkite.

crystal

Wow, Walter is dead??? I lost my virginity watching his news one night....wow he's dead...how sad

beccaboo1212

It's a shame that a REAL legend will not receive the outpouring of support and grief that is his due. Michael Jackson had nothing on this man. Mr. Cronkite was a man of intellect and integrity and deserves more than MJ ever got. But welcome to the new America where people who have ACTUALLY contributed to the historical fabric of America gets swept under the rug. It's a sad, sad day.

yazzie

I watched Mr. Cronkite while growing up. As you see things have changed for the worse since then. I mean as for the HUMAN RACE GOES. God bless you Walter Cronkite ....you know the media is way out of controll now so he was truley a one of a kind person and a one of a kind newsman. Rest in the arms of the Lord now.

madatak

The Most Trusted Newsman in America! He reported the facts and left it at that. When Katie Couric began her nightly report with his introduction, I thought, well he trusts her to do the same. Wrong! You know where newscasters stand today. Thats not right. Tell me the news, I will form my own opinion. The US has just lost the best newsman ever known.

The haters are just trolls, they were not around to experience his style. Do not give them fuel, ignore them, they are waste.

And that's the way it was.

beachy

News isn't even news today - it's all posed with a political slant. Thanks for the REAL news- Walter!

RIP.

yazzie

I agree a ONE OF A KIND. You know i seen him on our television when tv,s were not so modern as they are now. I remember him. Yes when you look back then and see the news and the world now wow. God,s love to you Mr. Cronkite. You lived when times were good.

monica williams

There will never be a better newsman.Never! You can see bits and pieces of him in some of the numeroius neswmen and women,but no single one will ever be like him.

sceptre30

He was the best comedian ever....heaven just got a little bit funnier

MyBijou

RIP MR Conkite Sr

Trish

RIP Walter. Thanks for always being there, keeping us informed through all the important times- You will be missed.

Edumacated

Wow, Uncle Walter is dead. That's what everyone called him because he delivered the news like a trusted relative.

It really is the end of an era. You kids will never know what it was like to have only three broadcast tv channels, three local channels and PBS, That was IT! No computers. No going to the Internet any time of the day or night to find out what was happening in the world. It was newspapers and television ONLY. And news anchors took their responsibilties VERY
seriously. Straight news -- no opinions, no playful banter, no spin. Reporters and anchors delivered the NEWS, not their opinions. They told the audiensce what happened; they DIDN'T tell people what to think, because it was a time when Americans were still smart enough to think for themselves.

My how the world has changed. Today, anchors want to be "stars and want to be "buddies" with the politicians whom they cover. Walter wanted merely to be a good reporter. He will be forever missed by those of us remember when journalism was a respected profession.

yazzie

This is taking me wayyyy back. Yes Television was really just taking off. Our TV set was a change of a dial type set. We all watched him everynight. Back then there were only 3 to 4 different channels on tv not like today. There were CBS and NBC and and KDKA channel 2 and public television. WOW! YES WALTER OUR FAMILY WILL MISS YOU. God rest your soul. Once in a life time a person as you comes along. Now there is no other to fill your shoes.

arminius

The man was a traitor who has the deaths of tens of thousands on his hands. I hope he rots in hell sucking Michael Jackson's pustulant knob.

Dissapointing

He was THE reporter I respected above them all. After that would have to be Hal Fishman. I hope the future journalists will see him in action through places like youtube. His integrity, ethics and character were superb. I will miss him. I'm pleased he had lived a long life.