Walter Cronkite -- And That's the Way It Is

7/17/2009 9:18 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary CBS broadcast journalist Walter Cronkite has died.

Cronkite was known as "the most trusted man in America" -- legendary for delivering the news of President John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963 and the lunar landing in 1969.

Three weeks ago Cronkite's family revealed he had been suffering for years with cerebrovascular disease and was not expected to recuperate.

Cronkite was the anchor of the CBS network news from 1962 to 1981. He was known for signing off by saying, "And that's the way it is."

Cronkite died at home in New York at 7:42 PM -- he was 92.

spearit

He timed it right. The 40 anniversary of Apollo 11. Great newscaster and great humanitarian. RIP

Mullins

I remember also after Walter Cronkite would sign off by sayin ,"And that's the way it is" we to would have to go to bed. I remember when he retired I missed seeing him on the news. Rest in peace Mr. Walter Cronkite-

Bobby Justin

Well he was old and lived a very full life. Today's woosy newscasters (like Anderson Cooper takes it in the Pooper and Keith Blabberman) are just empty taking heads compared to his style.

beccaboo1212

TMZ, If you have ANY integrity at all, you will delete post #74 by arminius. It was directly because of Mr. Cronkite that America left Vietnam. It's a shame how children like arminius have not been educated.

Tess T Cull

Godspeed, Mr. Cronkite. You were a class act and will be missed.

Miss Jackson

The people who make ugly comments like I'm glad he's dead are hungry for attention. They know it's mean and they love to manipulate and encourage comments from other readers. Just ignore them. They are miserable and unhappy people.

beachy

He's from that day when fair reporting was important - not looks.

Today's news people all look like Barbie and Ken dolls. So much look- so less objectivity.

I'm sure Walter is grieving over the state of "NEWS" today.

If I even knew the names of the networks anchors - I'd call them out. But I don't watch network programming anymore. Lame, stupid and fake.

Cher

This man was a true gentleman!

A TRUE PROFESSIONAL !!

FOR ALL YOU HATEFUL DEVILS EXPRESSING UNKIND WORDS TOWARDS THIS SPECIAL MAN .. GOD FORGIVE YOUS !! THIS IS THE PROBLEM IN OUR TROUBLED WORLD.. TOO MANY HATEFUL SOULS.. HAVE SOME RESPECT
FOR YOURSELVES !! WHERE HAS ALL THE KINDESS GONE TO OUR FELLOW HUMAN BEINGS?? SAD !

May you rest in pease Mr. Cronkite. you will me missed...!!

Jenny

How very sad. RIP Walter Cronkite. One classy and credible newsman. The best there is.

Truthteller

You were a real journalist during some of the days when journalism was not all about money. RIP Mr. Cronkite. You were a gentleman and a class act who never let either get in the way of searching for the truth every day. And that's the way it is. Condolences to Mr. C's friends and family.

jo

I REMEMBLE MY MOM AND DAD WATCHING WALTER CRONKITE AND THEM I WATCH HE TOO HE WAS THERE FOR BIG NEW SAD NEW AND HAPPY NEW TOO HE WAS LIKE PART OF OUR FAMILY IN OUR HOME GOD BLESS HIM AND HIS FAMILY HE WILL BE MISS JO AND FAMILY

Karen

There is a funny poll running over at www.tinyurl.com/cronkitevote as to whether Walter Cronkite had an annoying voice or not. Go vote!

SkaKangi

Ed, Farrah, Michael and now Walter..... I am watching the best memories of my childhood die... Really makes you feel old.... These people defined the best in what they did.... sidekick, model, singer, and the most trusted man in America..... People,,, we are really on a downward spiral.....

Mullins

SkaKangi- I agree- Them was the good old days!!!!

Tina

Walter Cronkite was an incredible man and news anchor. He was the main source of news for over 20 years at the CBS Nightly News desk.. R.I.P. Walter Cronkite