Walter Cronkite -- And That's the Way It Is

7/17/2009 9:18 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Legendary CBS broadcast journalist Walter Cronkite has died.

Cronkite was known as "the most trusted man in America" -- legendary for delivering the news of President John F. Kennedy's assassination in 1963 and the lunar landing in 1969.

Three weeks ago Cronkite's family revealed he had been suffering for years with cerebrovascular disease and was not expected to recuperate.

Cronkite was the anchor of the CBS network news from 1962 to 1981. He was known for signing off by saying, "And that's the way it is."

Cronkite died at home in New York at 7:42 PM -- he was 92.

oh yaaaaaaaaaaa

Life passes by faster than u think..it suxs..sooooooooooooooooo...enjoy, make the right decisions , don't hurt others and be kind and giving, life REALLY is short..ewwwwwwwww..I hate this stage....grrrr

buzz

The ISLANDS will miss you Walter.
Just an "Old New Englander". ( and... that's the way it is.)

oh yaaaaaaaaaaa

hahahahahah...good for u..DaReelScoop..that was fun to read! thanks

Willow VT

While Mr. Cronkite probably was a great news anchor, one major fact remains - during the Vietnam Action he and his associates never did give good press to the U. S. serviceman. Every evening it was more of the same old story about how bad the soldier was and how great the draft dodgers were.

No, I am not a Vietnam veteran, I am a Korean "Police Action" veteran.

madatak

#109 You forgot Elvis and John Lennon! How could you do that?

just me

I grew up watching Walter Cronkite on the evening news. My mother and father always had the news on during dinner.... we watched from the Dinning room into our living room. It was informative and educational news...not like today. Thank You Mr Cronkite for delivering the news as news should be reported, you were the greatest! If you ever see my Dad tell him TY too...for all the educational programs he instilled upon his children. He would be so proud of his family and we thank Dad and you for your guidance!!!

RIP and TY

olddrunk

Give Tim Russert a hug from all of us. Walter Cronkite and Tim Russert. The two best in the business. Thanks, Harvey for letting us post kind thoughts about the excellent Walter Cronkite.

PolarBear

I think he remains the best so far due to his time as much as his ability and style. He was very widely travelled, knew all sorts of angles on stories, met all sorts of people personally as a journalist in the field. He brought a good sense of the objective story while also understanding the audience he was talking to and the mix of serious with humorous, informative and contemplative with the emergencies and shocks.

Cronkite always seemed to me to be avoiding an association with the US obsessions with the "right" and "left". The big issues are far too complex for party pettiness to be filters to look through. Good journalism dictates otherwise.

RIP good friend and thanks for many hours of steadfast reporting. Sorely missed.

Patio Lighting

i read good story about walter dead and the disease definition

leave the gun, take the cannolis.

Rip u communist mofo

Sniglet

Now the old bastard can join Ho Ch Min and Pol Pot in Hell. While he's there he can make the place look nice for his future roomate Obama.

Foss

Very sad news. I grew up listening to him. He was an icon and perhaps one of the best and most trustworthy newsreaders ever

REAL

I remember when I was 6years old seeing Mr Cronkite Report That President Kennedy had Died.,, He Cried..
So did My Parents. I knew it was very big, because I had never seen a man on TV cry and the First time I saw My Parents cry..
He told it like it was. for Good or Bad You always got the Truth from Him... He is the reason We saw the Real Veit Nam.
RIP Mr Cronkite....

Walter Cronkite’s dependability and everyman demeanor comforted audiences through such lows as the President Kennedy assassination and cheered them in such highs as America landing on the moon.

leave the gun, take the cannolis.

Cronkite was the very first (of many) communist news "reporters" on TV

rimman

The last of the great newsmen, and someone worth mourning. RIP Walter.