Welcome to Hollywood -- Abdul Threatens 'Idol'

7/19/2009 11:01 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Paula AbdulPaul Abdul is hurt, angry and threatening to quit "American Idol" ... like "60 Minutes" wants to snatch her up.

It's absurd, but Abdul's manager told the L.A. Times, "Very sadly, it does not appear that she's going to be back on 'Idol," adding "Idol" producers have been "rude and disrespectful" by not offering her a new deal.

Ok, let's now get real. Our "A.I." spies say Abdul is raking in about 2 1/2 million bucks a year -- a nice check, but compared to the $15 mil a year that Ryan Seacrest just sealed ...

In Hollywood, stars have to talk the walk in order to rob the bank. Paula's manager says since "Idol" hasn't offered her a new deal she's now considering starting a competitive show. Here's the deal ... Paula tried starting her own series a few years back with Paramount .... NIGHTMARE! The idea crashed and burned.

So it's yet another ploy for more moolah, and more power to her. Whatever the deal it's a long way from Paula's first season paycheck -- our "A.I." spies say she was pulling in $5,000 a week.

me

Considering that people are losing their homes, jobs, ...families are breaking up.... ..

This is rediculous....and should be againist the law. I don't watch that show anymore...it has become very boring...and old.

PolarBear

The show sucks. The format is frustrating, the judges are boring, the performers rarely have any talent. They should ALL leave the show. Scrap it altogether.

orlandojon

Waiting for something cogent to come out of Paula's mouth as she comments on contestents has become excruciating. Cut her loose. Simon and Randy could carry the show anyway.

The Search for Truth

Rude and disrespectful is that in these hard times where people are losing their homes and collecting unemployment at staggering rates that you have this manager using the media to garner sympathy to use as leverage for a new contract for Ms. Abdul. It's so very transparent. I hope that the producers call their bluff. That 2.5 million won't look so ad then. We're not your chess pieces. Show us some respect.

mossy

Cuzzo...
Liberal? You're stretching this topic to make a political statement?

Pitty

I'm getting tired of the whole lot of them, anyway. It's definitely time for a change.

Athena

What, 2 1/2 million a year to slur out a dumb comment after dumb comment is not enough? Is she High! Oh, wait.....she is high.

Athena

Simon is the only one worth a high $$ pay-check...everyone else can be replaced.

Newspeak

It's very appealing as a potential audience member to see them squabble over millions to sit there and act like fools while I struggle to pay off my 10's of thousands of dollars of debt for graduate school and can't get a livable earning despite my having completed almost a decade of education. While it is very disrespectful to pay the guy 15 mil and the woman 2, Paula, I would say protest by quitting the show no matter how much they offer and get involved in something that adds to society rather than diminishes it to the disgrace that is "reality" television.

Athena

What's American Idol?

Cuzzo

I was debating a liberal and he said doesn't Americans have enough TV's, don't they have enough video games? He said, why does any American need another video game.

This is the liberal mentality. They feel they can tell another individualwhat's enough. In a free country we don't have group think.

If a person can sign a contract where they make millions with a company then that's between the person and the company. Liberals want to regulate everyones life and dictate what's enough.

Dean

Paula deserves a raise.She in part responsible for the success of the show.They all are a team.

balls

balls

Koki

I can't imagine American Idol without Paula Abdul I have tears in my eyes when I knew she is thinking of leaving I was so positive but now I have my doubts I am still hoping that she is still be back and I will stay as optimistic as possible untill it is confirmed .IF Paula Abdul leaves I am finished with Idol . IT IS like Idol got cancelled . she is the heart of the show can a body live without a heart ? who agree with me ? can you imaging American Idol without its heart ? We are goiung to support you Paula cause you are great and awesome .

Koki