Jessica Simpson --

Part Indian,

Part Mysterious

8/3/2009 5:00 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Jessica Simpson
When Jessica Simpson looked into our camera this weekend and claimed, "I am Indian" -- she wasn't kidding around.

Jessica's rep tells TMZ the singer is 1/16th Native American "on her mother's side."

So far, Simpson's peeps have not revealed which tribe Jessica is descended from.

Of course, the revelation only came to light after Jessica started receiving criticism from Native American groups after she claimed she wasn't an "Indian giver" -- regarding a gift she bought Tony Romo.

Part Cherokee

To #56. You can start your own tribe and call it the A**wipe tribe because that is what you are. How dare you question my family tree. You don't know me or my family...and I certainly don't want to know yours.

balls

balls

jose

I would like to know why and how the comments change numbers over time it will probably change numbers again but for example #69 made a comment in reference to a comment by #56 which is now magically #55 it happens over and over again. I dont know who the webmaster of the site is but they apparently suck at their job.

sabr0sa

She didn't say anything wrong! Jessic is white shouln't the white people be mad???? An INDIAN GIVER is when The white man promissed land and things to the indians and never came through on their word THATS ODD! And that kids is an Indian Giver ...THe White MAN

speekindatruth

"I am Indian"...that sounds so empowering. You may only have 1/16th heritage, but tap into your Warrior Spirit and you will get through this. Woohoo!

jose

I am part Native American and I know that because I knew my great grandma and she was half Native American although I cannot remember what tribe my brother in law he looks white as me but his dad is full blooded Native American so not all white people make up their Native roots. 1/16 isn't enough for it to matter anyway your not cherokee if it's 1/16 thats so far off it's ridiculous. By the way I don't like the term indian because it was because of an idiot that thought he sailed to India when he met the Native Americans.

Berto

I think Jessica's next album should be on Native American Chants and she can call herself squaw Wind for Brains.

Raejean

I am 1/16 Mohawk on my father's side, with the possibility of some Algonquin blood on my mother's as well that I haven't proven, back a number of generations. It does not make me Native American (I believe you have to be a minimum of 1/4 to legally claim that), but I am descended from them as surely from my European ancestors.

I have only one native friend, who sometimes patiently explains these things to me. At first glance, I don't understand the upset at the term "Indian giver." I really always thought it had more to do with the fact that the things "given" to the Indians were inevitably taken back by the white man, not the other way around. So I guess I have to go ask him about this one, too.

It is unfortunate that Jessica waited until now to dredge this bit of heritage up.

Criss Angels Girl

Big friggin deal, I am Native American and I could care less what she said, People take stuff WAY TOO SERIOUSLY!!

Shelley

People who get bent out of shape over something a celebrity says either has too much time on their hands or too little brains in their heads.

brittneyh

THIS IS BS!!! EVERYONE IS PART INDIAN RIGHT? WRONG!!! I AM REALLY NATIVE, I AM CHIPPEWA AND I LIVE ON A RESERVTION! THIS PISSES ME OFF THAT TMZ HAS BEEN BRINGING UP ALL THIS BS WITH EVERONE CLAIMING TO BE PART CHEROKEE! OR SOME KIND OF NATIVE! IM TIRED OF THIS I AM COMPLAINING TO TMZ AND I REFUSE TO WATC THEIR PROGRAM AS WELL AS VISIT THIS SITE!

Interracial facial

To hot head message #71. If weren't for the evil white man, you'd still be living in a teepee. And there would be no Internet or TMZ to sound off and spew your vitriol. Civilization is cruel to be kind. Before the white man invented it, things were much worse, caveman.

Helldorado

Put her on the reservation and lets see how much Indian she had in her.

ZOW!

crystal

Jessica is insulting the Native Americans by even suggesting that she has any Indian blood in her. She just needed to come up with something to cover her dumb ass

aces

I've read a lot of the comments and no one has really touched on all the Native American stereotypes that TMZ used to cover this story......I'm from Canada and not Native so I don't know how the First Nations community would feel about it but I was personally shocked at all the references.