Paula Abdul

Tweets Bye-Bye to Idol

8/5/2009 12:19 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Paula Abdul Guess who just blinked in American Idol's high stakes game of chicken? Paula Abdul says she's leaving the show.

She just tweeted this:

"With sadness in my heart, I've decided not to return to Idol. I'll miss nurturing all the new talent, but most of all being a part of a show that I helped from day 1 become an international phenomenon."

Sources have told TMZ that Paula's been negotiating for a big raise, and the deadline was this week because rehearsals are about to start.

So, hardball negotiation ploy on Paula's part or the real deal?

Stay tuned...

More Today in TMZ History

The Judge

What made her successful was being part of an ensemble. She is nothing alone; think Seinfeld and many other shows/bands. She is overestimating her possibilities. That was it for her, and after several failed projects she'll beg them to take her back next year.

piper

fox just confirmed paula wont be back. so i guess this wasn't a publicity stunt after all like some of you thought. wonder what simon and randy think about this. show won't be the same.

ryan schmidt

no more rambling, she was getting worse and worse. I liked Kara a lot, Paula never had a negative comment.

Jimmy Z

Paula, I appreciate your good nature on the show and will miss it terribly. The show will suffer without you! I won't enjoy it NEARLY as much. Hell, I might not even watch it. If you want to fix a bowl of popcorn and watch it at home with your feet up, that sounds great. I'll bring something to drink. Take good care of yourself, you deserve it. --Jz

Joanne

I think the show will be on its way out without her. I can't imagine Kara really being any good. I'd rather watch "Jon and Kate", anyway!

sassykittie

Get rid of Kara too. Bye Bye Idol.

Jakob

Awwww, I will miss Paula. The show will not be the same without her vicodin-induced comments. They were truly entertaining.

Woo Hoo!!!!

Now if they could just get rid of Randy and Kara the show would be good.

This show is tired and they really need to revamp it. How about having Simon as the only permanent judge and having 2 celeb guest judges every week? That would be more interesting.

Linda Mott

Dear American Idol,
I am available to take her place. I am easy to get along with and am very objective. I will work for half of her present salary.

Chuck D

Of all the Judges I did not like Paula's syrupy takes on the "talent" the most..Randy Jackson can say good bye too dog.As long as Simon is in place the show will be great fun to watch.

Bonnie

This is a big loss for AI. I think this will be the start of AI's downfall. Paula was more important to the shows entertainment than TPTB realize. After last years exciting season with Adam and Paula's excitement, I think this year is going to be very boring and a lot of viewers will turn it off.

I Love Memphis

Yes!!!!! I am so happy!!! Glad the Priducers finally saw how she was just so useless. Has added nothing to the show for years. As a matter of fact ever since she has been on. She was always high on something. Was getting sick and tired of her trying to make out with Simon on the show. Disgusting!!! She's old. God, she couldn't and didn't make any sense at all. Who wants to look at that. I actually felt embarrased for her. I do NOT likke her at all. She should concentrate on finding a good man and setteling down with some children if it's not to late. She had her fame if that's what you want to call it that. A no talent on the show what so ever because she had no background in music. Looking forward to seeing Kara. A woman who knows what she's talking about. Also very easy on the eyes. Adds a lot to the show. Fox you made the right decision. Amen!!!

Remybonds

LOOK! Ya'll whore's with nasty comments shove it up your A** Paula was in a plane crash hint which resulted in her messing up her spinnal cord she's been addicted to pain killers in other words you guys are heartless don't even know the facts of her life and are quick to judge the woman!!! LET'S PRAY THAT THIS DON'T TURN OUT TO BE ANOTHER MJ tragedy ON OUR HANDS!!! I hope she will get this time and go to a rehab clinic or better yet someone needs to reach out to her!! This is another crisis losing her job and I'm worried she may go back on the pain meds TMZ WAKE UP N SMELL THE COFFEE N LETS MAKE SURE THIS TURNS OUT 2 BE AN HAPPY ENDING THEN ANOTHER TRAGEDY!!!

I Love Memphis

Yes!!!!!!!! So happy. You made my morning. Now we can see what normal people have to say on the show. Paula was awful. I really don't know how she got on that show in the first place. What a disgrace to America having a pill popping person on tv. Could not understand a word she said. Made no sense at all. Find an old man and get married Paula. You had your fame. I am looking forward to seeing Kara again. She's Beautiful, and she knows what she is talking about. Don't let the door hit you in the A$$ when you leave Paula. Bye Bye Bye

diana

Sorry to hear this. I will really miss Paula.
It will be hard to replace her personality. She is truly one of a kind.