John Hughes

Dies

8/6/2009 5:43 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

John Hughes DiesJohn Hughes has died of a heart attack.

Hughes suffered the heart attack while taking a morning walk during a trip to NYC to visit family.

He directed such '80s hit films as "The Breakfast Club," Weird Science," "Sixteen Candles" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

He was 59.

More Today in TMZ History

uber oops

What a legend! Every movie he did was my favorite and no one has ever come close to making a film like John Hughes could, the kind you can watch over and over and never get tired of. He will be missed, but those movies will be forever!

Hopeful

so sad....59 is too young.

really now

How very sad .My husband and I loved his movies !! They will always be classics . God Bless John and his family .

mytwocents

I am truly sad about this. I spent my teenage years during the eighties watching his films and enjoying every single one of them. Buehler....Buehler.......

TIA

13. Thank you, John Hughes. You made teen angst relevant. :) R.I.P.

Posted at 4:42PM on Aug 6th 2009 by Feelin' Retro

I love your post, it's perfect.
I loved those movies. Still some of my favorites.

rminva

Way too young!! So many good movies!! RIP John.

E

Never saw a one of em. I guess that I'm better for that.

Bender

First DVD I bought, The Breakfast Club. One of my favorite movies. Some of the best and original comedies were directed by him. RIP Mr. Hughes. He can chill with the great John Candy now.

RP

He was the reason I became a screenwriter... and a writer in general. I am heartbroken by his passing and only hope there will be an era of work that can clearly be traced to his influence. My prayers are with his family and son James, now a writer as well.

Thank you for everything John.

ry2384

R.I.P. John Hughes
You were a great film maker.
Ferris Buller, Breakfast Club and Sixteen Candles are a couple of my favorite films.
Weird Science was great.
Home Alone and Christmas Vacation are my family's Christmas tradition movies,
And all of my family loves the Vacation movies and Planes Trains and Automobiles.

You will be missed :(

Red Ferrari

yes, i won't forget about you...

PoppyB

Truly shocked and saddened. I'm old enough to remember well the impact John's movies had on an entire generation of film-goers. When I unwittingly see what filmmakers are churning out for today's teens, I really am dismayed. While John's movies may never be considered "great" in the grand scheme of filmmaking, they were always entertaining, mostly honest and, in my opinion, well-acted and well-written. Ferris Bueller and The Breakfast Club, in particular, will always be standouts for me and my friends. John Hughes will be missed.

Where There's Smoke There's Fire

I can't believe THIS... We just watched Weird Science and were google searching him and looking at all the films he wrote.. We were astonished at how awesome this guy was. This is tooo sad... GOD BLESS HIS FAMILY... I'm soo sorry ..

Tiffany

Very sad day ... he directed some of the best movies and the absolutely represented an entire generation. A great legacy...

For the sake of the children

John Hughes' movies told the stories we wanted to live as youth, and in a way we did while watching them. When Pretty in Pink came out in theaters, I must have watched it 6-7 times! Over the years I've watched his movies on video and dvd and never grow tired of them, and never will. My condolences to his family, we lost a good one today.