John Hughes

Dies

8/6/2009 5:43 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

John Hughes DiesJohn Hughes has died of a heart attack.

Hughes suffered the heart attack while taking a morning walk during a trip to NYC to visit family.

He directed such '80s hit films as "The Breakfast Club," Weird Science," "Sixteen Candles" and "Ferris Bueller's Day Off."

He was 59.

More Today in TMZ History

midwestern

Hey "just some guy",
Go F$%^ yourself. If you weren't touched by his movies in the 1980s I don't know what will get to you.

Surely one of the signs of the apocalypse.

Andie

I met John in Long Beach CA while he was filming Ferris Bueller (the home used as Ferris' was actually in Long Beach) - what a humble, funny, nice human being. His great movies will live on forever, but this is so sad and unexpected. Deepest condolences to his family. :(

Lindsay

one of the greatest directors of all time. so sad.

TMZ_User

a damn shame great director made the best films of the 80's. RIP Mr. Hughes you will be missed by many a sad day, Attention the man has left the building

Lisa-Centereach

Condolences to the family. He made a lot of memorable films.

Shan

Thanks to Mr. Hughes for creating some of the best movies of the 80's! I grew up with those movies and still enjoy them today. RIP John...

Pharmacy Tech in the Midwest

48. The king of 80's heartbreak dies of a broken heart.

Posted at 5:19PM on Aug 6th 2009 by Will Vent

So true. I'm sad that he is gone. I'm also sad that the last film that he directed was 1991's "Curly Sue", but I am glad that he did not go back and taint the memory of the films I enjoyed in my youth by making sequels and prequels (***cough***Lucas***cough****) that pale in comparison and end up taking away from the original. I'm glad that his output in the eighties are films I am willing to watch over and over and have a nice combination of humor, angst, romance, and a moral without being preachy or manipulative. I'm glad that Hughes did not attach his name to everything just to earn a buck that he became a parody of himself. All of this has kept his work in high esteem for me. His films make me smile and I will always be grateful for his cinematic gift.

UGGGGHHH

YOUR MOVIES WILL LIVE ON............

matt

You were the BEST! His films shaped & captured what it was like to grow up in the 80's & 90's. You will be missed!

snickers

Sad news. Hughes wrote so many not only greatly enjoyable movies, but movies that are remembered 20 or more years later (how many movies today can you say that about).

A wonderful writing and directing talent, lost. RIP, John.

the truth hurts huh

81. Never saw a one of em. I guess that I'm better for that.

Posted at 6:09PM on Aug 6th 2009 by e
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

No. You've actually missed out on some really great films. But there's still hope for you ...... DVD......

jnia

Rest in Peace, another great gone, wow, rest in peace my friend.

SYLVI212

GREAT MOVIES! PLANES, TRAINS AND AUTOMOBILES IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE MOVIES. LOVED THE ORIGINAL "VACATION" MOVIE TOO. I ALSO THOUGHT HE WAS OLDER. I WAS SURPRISED WHEN I SAW HIS AGE. HOLLYWOOD IS HAVING A HORRIBLE YEAR.

raygeeknyc

Goodbye John Hughes, your movies made me realize that I may have felt different, but that I wasn't alone in it.

Jack White III

I know you lot are dopes and have the writing skills of 7th graders, but films are in italics, not quotes.