Autopsy: Cocaine a Factor in Billy Mays' Death

8/7/2009 5:33 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Autopsy: Cocaine a Factor in Billy Mays' DeathA mighty shocking autopsy report concludes cocaine contributed to the sudden death of pitchman Billy Mays back in June.

A Hillsborough County press release says "from the presence of metabolites of cocaine and the absence of cocaine itself, it was concluded that Mr. Mays used cocaine in the few days prior to his death but not immediately prior to death."

Mays died in his sleep on June 28 at his home in Florida.

UPDATE: Official documents show the following drugs were in Mays' system -- hydrocodone (Vicodin), oxycodone (painkiller), alprazolam (Xanax), nordiazepam (Valium), benzoylecgonine (byproduct of cocaine) and temazepam (anti-anxiety). Ethanol -- alcohol -- was also in Mays' system.

**Check out today's TMZ Live, when Harvey and Jason answered your questions about Billy Mays and Michael Jackson's toxicology reports.

Remembering Billy Mays

thepresswire

Any combination of the above chemicals would explain why on the show "Pitchmen", Mays seemed to have trouble with slurring his words often and was very volatile emotionally.

Ut Oh

Let me guess MJ's Dr Murray was alos Billy Mays doctor?

Pickle

With all that stuff in his system, how was he even alive?

Ooooo Noooo!

Think back kids - - - this is almost the same mix of meds that Heath Ledger died from. It's the Rx generation!

mellow

hydrocodone , oxycodone , alprazolam , nordiazepam , and temazepam.

Good grief it explains why he was laughing and saying he did not feel anything when he whacked his head on the plane. Now instead of hearing "BILLY MAYS HERE" when I see his face I will hear "STONED OUT OF MY MIND HERE".

2 pain killers and 3 anti anxiety drugs and booze yet they say 3 day prior coke use killed him? I call BS and hope the family at least gets a second opinion and finds out which Dr's rx'd all this (and lord help the person if it is just one pharmacists/doctor handing all this over to the guy) and maybe there are enough bodies lining the way to new regulations to track and nail these bastages.

Tugboat Mama

This really upsets me! With the kind of meds he was on, any one who does lab work knows that cocaine is a by product of the oxycodone (especially) along with the vicodin, and the anti axiety, etc.,. I am on morphine and oxycodone, trazadone, and clonozapam, among others and the first time I saw a tox report on myself, what did I see? Cocaince!! I had a fit! I have never touched that crap in my life. I asked my doctor about it and he told me that cocaine was a "by product" of both morphine and oxycodene among the other above mentioned things. When the Veteran's hospital, who's pain clinic put me on these things said it had become manditory to have a tox screen done, I laughed. I said they knew that my blood was a soup of drugs, and the doctor said that was exactly it. They were testing everyone, as apparently, some people were selling their drugs istead of taking the prescribed drugs themselves.
Someone is just trying to make a good guy look really bad. Have a thought for the man and his grieving family!
Tugboat Mama

Woo Hoo!!!!

At first I felt sorry for him, but now that I know he was a coke and prescription drug addict, I couldn't care less. He brought it on himself. I'm tired of feeling sorry for people who have it all and throw it away on drugs.

idontknow

After reading these comments, why are so many people still trying to make an excuse for the "cocaine" being in his system--by saying it's not actually cocaine? You all need to scroll up again and read this story, better yet let me paste it in my comment:

"The report, which was released today, lists "cocaine use" as a contributing cause of death -- along with hypertensive and arteriosclerotic heart disease.

A Hillsborough County press release says "from the presence of metabolites of cocaine and the absence of cocaine itself, it was concluded that Mr. Mays used cocaine in the few days prior to his death but not immediately prior to death"

uber oops

Billy was to have hip surgery in the coming weeks which means he would have been in a lot of pain and on some heavy painkillers. No doubt these played a role in "cocaine" showing up in the toxicology reports as the painkillers themselves were prob made from forms of cocaine.

Is there a real doctor in the house that can confirm this? My friend was in the hospital once for surgery and they gave him "cocaine" as it said so on the bottle. Strange...

I do NOT think Billy Mays was a junkie, it's prob the mix of pain meds that threw the toxicology report off and maybe a coroner that wanted some "TMZ" attention.

DaisyB

To #64: Ned, I totally agree about that incompetent president, though I never considered Dumbya Bush as good-looking as you seem to.

IKnewbilly

I knew Billy personally for over 10 years. He was not a coke user. He was in horrible pain from his hip and put off his surgery because of his busy schedule. He was not a coke head, he was not abusing prescription drugs. I saved a few voice mails on my phone and it clearly shows someone who was in pain from his hip. I personally told him to take some time off and get his hip replaced. We all would understand. But he never wanted to let anyone down. Always worried about others before himself. Days prior to his death he was in LA at Conan. He told me that his doctor gave him a drug that he could inject into his leg to ease the pain and not make him "out of it" like other pain medicines. He was concerned that he may not even be able to walk on Conan because of the horrible pain he was in, but did not want to let his friends and family down by not appearing. He was looking forward to doing Conan then getting back home and getting his hip replaced for the third time. He was going to be taking 3 weeks off to recover and then he was going to be back to work. I told him he needs to take care of his health, we would all understand.

shuffler

"WTF so he did a line of Coke who hasn't."
Posted at 5:32PM on Aug 7th 2009 by John
-------------------
Are you serious?
Man, I must be a total loser having never done drugs with no want to do it either.

Why?

#60 Irregardless is incorrect, it's a double negative. No need for the Ir just regardless. I can't stand when people use it

Why?

Next thing we will probably hear about him- He had sex with hookers.....

Domenic

I'm sad to see that this talented and happy man is being made out to be some coke head. I can't think of any other reason, being that the facts show that he didn't die due to drug use, that CNN and other sites are taking advantage of this DEAD man to pull in readers. LET THE MAN BE -- HE WAS A GOOD GUY