Gay Miami Newsman Fired After Filing Complaint

8/7/2009 1:44 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Gay Miami Newsman Fired After Filing ComplaintAn openly gay Miami news anchor has officially been fired from his job, just one week after the guy filed a sexual discrimination complaint against his bosses -- and the anchor claims the timing is no coincidence.

The man in the center of the controversy is Charles Perez -- who you may remember from "Inside Edition" or his nationally syndicated talk show, "The Charles Perez Show."

The drama all began in June, when Perez was "demoted" from the local ABC nightly evening newscast to the weekend edition -- and Perez claims it was because the station felt he was "becoming too gay" for the public to handle.

Perez decided to file a complaint with the Miami-Dade County Equal Opportunity Board, in which he details a performance review, where one of his bosses warned him that he smiled on air too much and that he and his female co-anchor were "like girlfriends while on the set."

Perez believes he was fired in retaliation for filing the complaint with the EOB. The station claims Perez's recent "actions" left them "no real choice" but to fire him, according to The Miami Herald.

Here's the catch -- the boss who demoted him is himself gay and issued a statement saying, "As a gay man myself, I can safely say the station does not discriminate against gay people." The station also denies the allegation.

But Perez isn't buying it, and tells TMZ he plans on filing a "7 or 8 figure lawsuit" against both the station and it's parent company, the Washington Post.

But there's more -- Perez believes this whole thing started because of a very private email that was hacked out of his computer by an ex-boyfriend and sent to his colleagues at his news station back in March.

Perez claims the email was a private exchange with his therapist, in which "sexual identity" was discussed. Perez claims when his co-workers read the email, they wrongly believed that he wanted to become a woman -- and that's when people at the station began treating him differently.

Valencia

I agree with you, #8. I used to have a huge crush on Charles Perez...then I found out he's gay. What a shame that he's not into women...romantically speaking, that is. :( :( :(

cgirl Caron

I love Charles!!

Mo

"23. I DONT HAVE A PROBLEM WITH GAYS, BUT THEY REALLY
LIKE TO FEEL OBLIGATED TOM MAKE TROUBLE, EVERYWHERE THEY GO
IF BLACKS MADE HALF AS A BIG DEAL OF RACISM AS GAYS DO WE WOULD
BE RICH TOO

Posted at 1:55AM on Aug 7th 2009 by kiji"

What???

k. Brummell

www.realtalkandpeople.blogspot.com

WOW. DISCRIMINATION ON THE JOB IS PROBABLY MORE WIDESPREAD THAN WHAT WE EXPECT. IT MAY BE A HIDDEN EPIDEMIC!

Dawg

Yea!! Rob Schmidt is ready willing and able to step up, he is a rising star in Miami

Green Hermaphrodite from Mars

Why y'all gotta be bringing me into all of this? I'm not the pole-smoking poo-pusher who just got demoted for shoving his lifestyle down everyone's throat!!!

Danny Boy

To hell with you all. Charles is a true professional and has so much passion when he's on air. Send him back to NY where he belongs, He is truly missed.

my2cents

I don't know about Miami, but in California... THEM'S FIGHTIN' WORDS!!! I hope he sues so good that the pink is frightened off the flamingos!

nicnak

He wasn't fired because he is gay. In fact, when they hired him they already know he was gay. The economy is tough and people get fired or demoted. He acted like a litte bitch when he was demoted to weekend duty. Boo Hoo. Now he's using the gay card to drum up emotions and to try to get a fat payday because of his firing.

Elizabeth

I absolutely loved Charles Perez, and I am very upset that he has been fired. As another person wrote, since the departure of Dwight Lauderdale and now Charles, the only person who is notable at channel 10 now is Laurie Jennings and I will be watching good old Channel 7 all the time from now on. TERRIBLE move by channel 10!

my2cents

To #10 (Toby) I worked with someone with just those qualifications, and believe me, she DID play that card as many times as she could and got away with sh*t!!! You're not a minority, you're just a selfish, disrespectful, and just plain nasty person!!!

BillInLondon

"the boss who demoted him is himself gay and issued a statement saying, 'As a gay man myself, I can safely say the station does not discriminate against gay people'"

Can you say "Self-hating Homophobe"? Sure you can.

nicnak

pickle kisser

I Will Take Being Born White Any Day - Thats Worth Much More To Me, #6

I agree with "balls" on this one.

hora

he does have a case. and the whole thing about his boss being gay himself and saying there's no discrimination is BS. if he got fired in retaliation (something that happens OFTEN) then he can't cover up and use the "i'm gay too" excuse.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments