What It Takes To Keep Paula on 'Idol'

8/7/2009 10:45 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Paula Abdul on 'Idol'Sources tell us Paula Abdul will make a deal with "American Idol" if the price is right -- and we're told that price is $10 million a year.

We've already reported well-connected "Idol" sources say they haven't closed the door on bringing Paula back for season 9. We're told they have not communicated with Abdul since she tweeted her goodbye, and auditions start Friday -- without Paula.

But here's the deal. Our sources say Paula was not happy with the "Idol" offer but willing to sign -- just days before her deal-breaking tweet. She had a sudden change of heart, largely because she felt "disrespected" by "Idol" execs who had offered Simon and Ryan a lot more than they offered her. We're told the show offered her around $4 million a year.

In the end, we're told the magic number is $10 mil. If "Idol" antes up, they can buy a loose cannon.

**Check out yesterday's TMZ Live -- when Harvey and Charles answered your questions about Paula's fate and Debbie Rowe showing up to Dr. Arnie Klein's office again.

6TH_SIGMA_SOLDIER

Is it possible that seacrest go the 45 mil. based on the strip club outting with simmon and paula didnt get the raise because she wasnt good enuff...lol...and why is randy so quiet about the whole thing...did he get a secret raise and not saying nothing....

whocares

Hmmmmm, why isn't Randy and Paula making close to the same as Ryan... I suspect Simon makes in the 30 to 40 million range, but both Randy and Paula should be making what Ryan is making. I say it is a racist sexist show and Randy and Paula's paychecks support that.... the two white men making a minimum of 10 million more a year.

Serena Milane

I really hope they keep Paula on Idol, but at 10 million dollars? Shouldn't these ridiculous salaries go toward the people starving out in the world? The Borgen Project has some good information on the cost of addressing global poverty (borgenproject dot org).
It only takes $30 billion annually to end world hunger!
Yet... we are spending $550 billion annually on the defense budget.

SP

Just how many Jackson's live in Katherine's house? Is it her house or all of theirs? And since they're calling it a "compound", how can "she" afford to pay for it with only her social security.

6TH_SIGMA_SOLDIER

as much as simon and paula rub up on one another during the show..one would think that he had her back on the whole situation....doesnt he own like a big part of the show...(just asking dont really know) but if he does and he claims that she is a good friend of his...he should have said something or just gave her some of his moany...oops money...lol

schoen1

Regarding the use of straws, they are known to contribute to lines around the mouth, just like smoking cigarettes does. When I first heard that, I stopped using straws completely.

Beth

I trust my intuition ... and I say this has been a product of the PR/Publicity department. Paula will return.

oh yaaaaaaaaaaa

Gotta have Paula 100%...I only watch it too c the interraction of her and Simon and when she fumbles on her words when she has a um Yummi lunch..or coctail or too..anyways...she NEEDS to b on the show..boring with that other one..stunk bringing her on..I watched less btw cause of it..oh well..will keep my fingers crossed she will b back, suxs if she isn't!!!!!

Alicia

Is she coming back or not?!
Idol is gonna go down hill without her.

???????????????????????

HELL THE BITCH PAULA IS A DRUG ADDICT...A VICODIN POPPING IDIOT...WHERE ELSE IN THE WORLD CAN A DRUGGED OUT CRAZY WOMAN MAKE 3 MILLION A YEAR.....SHE WAS STUPID FOR EXITING A PAYING GIG THAT ONLY GOES ON FOR 12 WEEK...IF SHE DONT GO BACK TO AI...WHOSE GONNA HIRE HER...SHES A USED UP DRUGGIE!

Kristi

No one on Idol deserves to make what they make... Pro football players don't deserve to make millions for playing football. HOWEVER -- Paula has every right to be paid what the others WHO DO THE SAME THING SHE DOES get paid. They all sit in a chair and basically do what I do when I sit at home and watch it on TV -- the only difference is that they get to critique -- I critique with my votes if I choose to vote. Simon is not worth what he makes... but it's percentages. Idol brings in so much money... so Simon and crew are paid accordingly, just like in pro football. If I were Paula, *I* wouldn't accept $4 million when Ryan, who was NO ONE 8 seasons ago, makes $15 million per season... no WAY. So Paula needs to stand her ground. The show will NOT be the same without her. For those who say she's a "no talent" and they should bring someone in with more "music cred?" Please... is that what the show is all about? It's an entertainment program that America votes on... it's all about popularity and not just talent.... this is not brain surgery, people!!! It's all about fairness -- Paula needs to get paid just like the others -- that being said, NONE of them are worth the money they make!!!

mia

HOLD OUT FOR THE MAX AMOUNT OF MONEY, PAULA !!! Don't let these sexist a-holes devalue you !!!

schoen1

T, Ryan is getting paid $15 million a year through 2012.

Steve

The question is NOT "is Paula worth $10 MIL"; but rather, is she an integral part of Idol's success & should she share in the profits of the show as do the other judges.

making a change

Paula is worth more!!! Who is Seacrest to get 45 million, what the hell talent does he have. If she isn't coming back, either am I!!!!!!