Roker -- Sunny with a Chance of Black Pride

8/18/2009 12:52 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Watch Al Roker's shock and awe on the Weather Channel this morning when it dawns on him that there are three brothas doing weather at the same time.

Al Roker: Click to watch
Co-anchors, Alex Wallace and Scott Williams were a little stunned by Rev. Al's revelry.

Memory

I think Al Roker is a racist! I DO NOT like "waking up with Al" it sucks! I do not watch the Weather Channel anymore - used to watch it in the mornings while getting ready for work.... not anymore! I don't even check it for the local on the 8's anymore. AL SUCKS!

Attorneymom

Someone must have called Al Roker the N-word. I love his new Black militant attitude. It is about damn time.

www.charactercorner.blogspot.com
"The Blog Where Hip Hop Meets Scripture!!"

Jenny

How come you never hear "African Canadian" or "African Italian" you know they too have blacks in their country. USA has become African scared.

Just sayin…

Malik

Personally, I don't really care if the guy is Black or White. I am not White, however, this is just another example of how Blacks pull the race card all the time and get a pass, however, Whites get hammered with the racist tag all the time. Flip the script on this one and the White guy is getting fired for this. The Black "victim" role gets harder and harder to play every year. I look forward to when, although I doubt it will ever happen, Blacks admit that in 09 they have the same opportunities as Whites. The President, Attorney General, and Republican and Democratic Party Leaders are all Black. The message is simple. If you work hard, regardless of your race, the opportunities are there. Why is it that Asians, Indians, and everyone else seems to make progress yet............

love her!

Honestly If a white guy tried this he'd be a racist. Since Al is a black guy doing this it's okay? It is a racial thing because Al mentioned it. Sorry but this is racial

LadyO

What has gotten into this crazy-ass man? He get more weird each passing day. The older he gets the more immature he is. Is the weight-loss the culprit of his deminishing wit? Brain Cells dying by the dozen every time he utters a word on TV. Retirement may help.

vicsmith

He is a racist. He would be the first to bitch if a white guy said this. He was the first to jump on the firing Don Imus bandwagon, but has nothing to say about the plethora of derogatory things black entertainers say about women. This white person doesn't love him. Just another no talent guy on a no talent show on the worst network.

moveover

Al Roker ...... Annoying Moron!

TP17

When was the last time you saw three white guys doing the weather?

ant

Everybody making the “if a white guy had said the same thing he’d be called racist and fired” argument is an idiot. Three white guys on the weather channel isn’t comment-worthy or progress, it’s the norm. Now, say, three white guys on BET (and a white commentator for the network lightheartedly saying as much) would be taken in the spirit that you inbred idiots should have taken Roker’s hokey, quirky comment.
Take it easy, and quit looking at things in isolation. All things racial are not racist. That is, any acknowledgement of someone’s race is not racist. Context matters. Imus, with his “nappy headed hoes” comment, was not making a benign statement acknowledging race; he was denigrating black scholar-athletes on the basis of their race/ethnicity. Period.
Again, quit being stupid you knuckle-draggers.

mellow

From Al Roker)

I cannot tell you how many people have asked me about my thoughts on Don Imus. As a student of broadcasting, I know Don Imus was one of the original “shock jocks.” I listened to him growing up in New York City in the late '60s and early '70s.

He is a radio icon.

That said, it is time for him to go.

I, for one, am really tired of the diatribes, the “humor” at others’ expense, the cruelty that passes for “funny”. Don Imus isn’t the only one doing this, but today he’s the one in the hot seat.

What he said was vile and disgusting. It denigrated an entire team and by extension, a community and its pride in a group that had excelled.

This controversy started and grew during the week. At first under the radar, we even had Don’s wife, Deidre, on the program, talking about “green” cleaning. I thought she was so good I wanted to talk to her about a television program for my production company.

Don and his wife have done a lot of good things—raising money for charity, including a ranch for children suffering from cancer and blood disorders.

Yet, Don Imus needs to be fired for what he said. And while we’re at it, his producer, Bernard McGuirk, needs to be canned as well. McGuirk is just as guilty, often egging Imus on.

The “I’m a good person who said a bad thing” apology doesn’t cut it. At least he didn’t try to weasel out of this by hiding behind alcohol or drug abuse. Still, he said it and a two-week suspension doesn’t cut it. It is, at best, a slap on the wrist. A vacation. Nothing.

mellow

Pfft mainstream media will NEVER pick this up but you can be quite sure if Al was of a more pigment challenged race and the term used was "white guys" all living hell would break loose at the weather channel and he would be fired. I do not give a flying fat rats behind what race/creed/religion he is, I DO have a big problem with this current one way street we seem to be on.

You enjoy that Al, such a funny guy with fewer viewers now

vicsmith

69. When was the last time you saw three white guys doing the weather? Every day on the weather channel.

71. From Al Roker)
Not buying it until the fight against black misogyny is fought just as hard.

Michael

Okay give me break people. For of all, YES I AM WHITE just to you know that. But Al was making a joke people, liten up. Daa, he is black, daa, there were 2 other black guys on the air and he noticed it and made a joke out of it. So what, it was funny and he was right. We all know Al is a regular dude who speaks before he thinks and so he isn't a perfect fit for TV but because he is Al he gets away with it. He's not a racist, he's not a black dude trying to act white, he's your typical average guy who caught a break in this world and is making a great living by working hard. So he sayz dumb *ss things, umm so do I all the time, so what!

sultrysiren

Roker has been making headlines lately. What's he eating?