JoJo -- Record Co. Won't Let Me 'Get Out'

8/21/2009 5:30 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

JoJoThat JoJo singer chick is finally old enough to file a lawsuit -- 18 -- and guess what?! She's already picking a legal war with her record company!

In a lawsuit just filed in NYC courts, JoJo claims her record company shoved her into a musical "limbo" because they wont let her out of her contract -- and they won't let her record a new album either!

JoJo, real name Joanna Levesque, now wants a judge to force Da Family Entertainment to cut her loose -- plus she wants at least $500,000 for her troubles.

HIBER

i love jojo soo so much and i support her on whatever she do because she talented and beautiful i hope she get whatever she want cause she desearve it.love u jojo:):):) and i can't wait for u cd:)

annie

that,s good l hope joanna gets want she wants even if she was in a australia back three years ago didn,t even bother her australian relatives in sydney even my uncle paul barry is every upset and hope when she makes a third album she will come and see her oz relatives in sydney my two friends went an interiew jojo in L.A and they said if she had relatives in oz she said yes l pray to God that her dreams and our dreams will come true that she gets to know her oz relatives annie

Sally K.

Sometimes you just got to let go! I feel bad for this girl, she must be hurting inside from the way they are treating her!

jm

I can understand that they won't let her out of her contract, but why can't she record? I don't get that.

chloe

l hope jojo wins but she should all so get to know her oz relatives l so upset that she was in Queensland didnt even come to sydney and see her oz relatives l pray to God that all of our dreams come true chloe barry hang

Trista

BUmmer deal about the label... I had wondered what had happened to her music. I wasn't a huge fan of her CD, but she does have talent, and could be great... $$$ for attempting to drown her musical career is fair in my opinion. Look at the time lost. However, I can't pitty this young woman... she has been busy, and impressively involved in a great many other projects-- she is far more ambitious, and capable then most people her age. She will go far regardless of how this suit turns out.

nightcrawler

Now that she's 18 is she going to take naked pics of herself and post them and then say that someone hacked her computer?

KILLBILL

I knew michael jackson would come back to life

Ja'nay

Man Its about damn time.....they have been holding her back for so long and it sucks because she is a hell of a singer. I have been a fan of JoJo since she came out, and I cant wait till she puts her new record out and step on all these talentless bitches!!!!!You go Girl:)

shuffler

Independent artists, please think about signing your life away to a label. It nearly always ends in tears.

nighthawk95

Joanna is a really talented, very intelligent young woman om whom I produced a piece for A&E TV three years ago. Even then, there was friction between what her label wanted her to do and the direction she desired to go. That they're still holding her down doesn't surprise me. Good luck to you Jo Jo, you deserve it.

tit-e-twister

i'd like to shoot my mojo on jojo

Troy

I'd like 500,000 for my Troubles to.

Ty

This has been going on for a while now. She's had her new album finished for some time, but her "label" lost it's distribution deal, which prevented her from putting out any new material. The music that's been leaked from her sessions, is awesome. There's so much maturity evident in JoJo's new music. I pray that everything falls into place the way it may, and that God's will be done in the lives of everyone involved.

Ashley

Wouldn't the contract be null and void since she was a minor at the time she signed her contract?

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments