Reality Show That Cast Ryan Jenkins: Oops

8/21/2009 3:15 AM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Ryan Jenkins: OopsProducers of the reality show on which accused murderer Ryan Jenkins appeared admits it didn't do a "full" background check. What's not clear ... did it do any background check at all?

51 Minds -- the company that produces "Megan Wants a Millionaire" -- admits it was not aware that Jenkins had been convicted of assaulting a girlfriend when he was cast on the show. This is always a problem when you have someone with violent propensities sharing a house with unsuspecting strangers.

A company rep tells TMZ, "Obviously, if the company had been given a full picture of his background, he would never have been allowed on the show."

51 Minds adds, "The company did have in place what it thought was a thorough vetting process that involved complete background checks by an outside company for all contestants on the shows." In the company's defense, it was just one little mistake.

51 Minds promises to do better in the future.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

yazzie

OOOPS forgive me for being stupid. I CALLED SOMEONE A WHORE... I was thinking of myself at the time sorry for the post,,, MARIE The Whore.

Zonny VanRant

Monique Imperial: you forgot your meds huh?

JD

51 minds, 3 pounds of brain.

schoolmarm

TMZ, you are mistaken about the facts in this article (I am a reality producer and worked for 51 Minds). Production companies hire OUTSIDE and independent casting companies to do the background checks and vetting of cast members. 51 Minds statement was obviously intended as a statement of non-responsibility and blaming the casting company they hired. This is apparent in the line, "The company did have in place what it thought was a thorough vetting process that involved complete background checks by an outside company..." That is not to say that 51 Minds cannot be sued (by VH1 and also cast members), but they will argue that the casting company is responsible.

Also of note is that 51 Minds is being sued because of a death when a Production Assistant from Rock of Love who was overworked and had a suspended license was allowed to drive a production vehicle and fell asleep and crashed into another car and killed 1 and injured several other people.

I don't work at 51 Minds anymore but my friend who does said that 51 Minds (who is now owned by Endemol) is being forcefully dissolved and that Endemol will take over their assets.

WoW

This is not just one little mistake TMZ! I know #2!! It has to do with one of the cast members on the new season of "Tool Academy". Check you're submissions under the 'contact us' link on your website from this morning!!!!

Blondie

I love how 51 minds the production company that produces all those sleazy and tashiest of all reality shows that Vh1 airs has the nerve to say that this is always a problem when you put a person with violent propensities in a house with unsepcting strangers.I know allot about this 51 minds & know lots of people who have worked with them.I can say first hand that that is exactly their goal they want the drama and the fights.That's all the shows are,a bunch of crazy viloent people filled with non stop drama.I just don't get how this trash is still on the air.Hopefully one of the only good things that come off this tragedy is that Vh1 wakes up and stops putting out this trash.Or at least less of it.It's about time it's caught up with them.Karma is a bitch.

Rosa

sooo..... is the show canceled now hmmm,i wonder if megan was actually gona pick him and thats why there not gona air it anymore?damn that psyco i was actually enjoying that show what the hell!!! RIP to jasmine and my heart goes out to her family wow close call for megan!

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5