DJ AM -- Crack Was 'My Drug of Choice'

8/30/2009 4:41 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

There are several chilling quotes and clips popping up about DJ AM since he died, but listening to him call crack his "drug of choice" might be the most telling of them all.

In a recent interview with MTV News to promote his upcoming reality show about drug abuse, DJ AM talked about how he bought a crack pipe to show how easy it is. He said, "I bought a crack pipe ... that was my drug of choice. And I walked out and I'm holding it ... and then I realized after I was holding it that my palms were sweaty and I was like, 'Wait a minute, this is not smart for me to be holding this.'"

AM was found dead in his apartment Friday night of an apparent drug overdose. A law enforcement source told us they found a bag of crack by his body.

Mary Sapp

He said "crack was my drug of choice." He could have made the "choice" to get help before he relapsed. I guarantee you this guy had been thinking about using again for a while. He did not just wake up the day before he died and decide to start smoking crack again. Addiction is a fierce disease for sure and now his "choice" to smoke that crack pipe again has devastated his family and close friends. Too bad they now have to suffer because of his bad "choice."

Nicole

janalal4, he chose crack. Crack didn't choose him. I've never walked down the street and had a bag of crack convince me to try it. Heroine doesn't tap me on my shoulder and beg me to take a bit. Alcohol doesn't wave it's arms in front of me screaming for me to drink until I get addicted.

Addiction is a CHOICE. It's not like getting cancer or losing a leg in an accident.

DJ chose crack. He had the choice to choose alcohol instead (still deadly but takes longer to die), or he could've chosen to become addicted to online gaming like so many others. Being addicted to World of Warcraft never killed anyone, so far.

So yes, while addiction is a "disease" the thing you get addicted to is a CHOICE. He didn't have to choose one of the worst drugs. But he did and now he's gone.

I have a TMZ/Krazy Kooky Klown addiction. It's not gonna kill me anytime soon but I'd rather this than crack.

Mary P

And to your #30 comment - IT IS A CHOICE. If you pick up the pipe, YOU MADE THAT CHOICE. You don't become addicted in the first place, if you don't CHOOSE to take the drug. Period. Stop being an enabler. If we don't get mad and don't get mean, then our kids will end up dead on the corners. When people STOP getting mad and STOP being mean over people who made choices in life, then what will our nation look like in 50 years? 11 year olds popping out children then going to down some ice, 30 year olds drunk in the streets - all because of what? Everyone became so blasse about all the bad things happening. It is any coincidence murders and rapists GET OUT now (some less than 5 years) instead of being put to death in a galley in a month? Because people stopped putting blame and stopped getting so upset. They don't get upset until it happens again? People are so desensitized to daily horrors, that juries aren't even coming close to giving out max sentences! My only thought for your line of thinking, is that either you were/are an addict and placing blame on someone else, or you are close to one, who never takes responsibility for their own actions. Either way, that's STILL an enabler.

janalal4

Mary P- so that's the great treatment for addiction is SHAME. That's the best we have to offer people? I went through treatment & not once did that involve someone "shaming me". People get clean not because they feel shame. They come to the conclusion FOR THEMSELVES that they are tired of living that way. Until they do, all the shaming in the world is going to do NOTHING AT ALL. In fact it's usually shame that keep an addict addicted to begin with. An addict feels ashamed enough of themselves without everybody else contributing to it. And it sure as hell is not going to get them sober. Nor will society's judgement keep them sober. It's SUPPORT OF AN ADDICT IN SOBRIETY WILL & AN ACCEPTANCE THAT SOMETIMES RELAPSE IS PART OF THE ILLNESS.

La Toya Jackson

Does this story seem like it's right out of that movie when the people don't get on the plane that crashes and death comes after them . Maybe he was suppose to die in the plane crash and death has been following him until death finally got him.. *I'm just say'en

whocares

re: comment about addiction being a disease... it is a disease of choice. I think the medical industry has coddled drug users, alcoholics, over eaters by saying it is a disease. Cancer or HIV is a disease. You can make a choice not to smoke, use drugs, drink, or shove a piece of cake down your throat. My mother died of lung cancer which is a disease, however, it was brought on by her CHOICE to smoke.

too sad

Dr Drew is innocent .
drugs = kill

drugs are a gamble with your life .

if you take drugs you should know = possible you will die .

Mellisa

So let me get this straight. AM was a junkie who deserved to die but Michael Jackson was murdered? Oh, the hypocracy is sickening.

By this conclusion I assume that if your addicted to something and it kills you it is your own fault. Michael Jackson was addicted to something, all be it something really screwed up, and it killed him and therefore its his fault. Not the doctor, unless you are willing to say that the dealer who delt the crack to AM is at fault as well.

SICK. Jackson was a freak, a junkie, and worse and this country made him a hero?!

While we are all so worried about Jackson and other junkies who took thier last breath like Anna Nicole Slutson far far far worse things are taking place.

Just look up the name Christopher Newsom.

RIP Adam, we wish you hadnt fallen.

Mary P

My comment on your #30 post was before I saw yours, but confirms that you were a former addict. AND you chose to enabler others and allow them to blame everyone else. So you are basically trying to pass off your OWN problems so you don't feel that same shame. It's quite transparent! You are trying to sit here and say that you never made a choice to pick up a drug? Making excuses for it, doesn't change the fact that you (and others) CHOSE to take that drug.

Before you go spouting off some random crap about not being shamed, thousands of people have come clean because of the shame they felt when their family told them upfront. Their family didn't hand them a free pass and say "We are proud of you!". In most interventions in fact, it involves showing that person the shame the family feels.

You are excusing anyone and everyone from all their behaviors and even starting in the first place and it's downright sick and completely reckless with your attitude.

janalal4

Mary P- Your operating on the assumption that AN ADDICT GETTING CLEAN IS WITHIN SOMEONE ELSES CONTROL EXCEPT THEIR OWN. You can shame & be mean all you want. Until that addict has HAD ENOUGH, nothing you say or do will have any effect at all. How about educating our society & educating addicts instead of heaping all our judgements, shame, meanness & whatever else you seem to think works on them?? What your suggesting does not work. It is the addicts choice in the beginning to get clean & NOTHING YOU HAVE TO SAY MEAN OR NOT is going to do a single bit of good. Now if your talking about AN INTERVENTION then that is different. A good intervention doesn't involve either SHAME or BLAME at all!

Nell

#10 and #16 I agree with you...the show in theory sounded like a great idea...but it may have been his demise. Doing the show could've re-introduced him to the his demons. It saddens me to even see/hear that MTV interview and for him to explain how having a pipe in his hand felt. I wish MTV put on their compassionate glasses and took off their exploitation/money hungry glasses. This was a human being not ready/strong enough to dive back in this life in such great depth as doing hands-on research. It makes me think it all this could've been avoided somehow and a life spared...just my thoughts.

ES

I don't believe addiction is a disease. I've been around too many recovering addicts and been to meetings with them. Also, just based on my own experiences with addiction and observing those in my family, I believe it's a personal choice. It may not start out with an intention to end up sleeping in an alley or going over the edge, but nevertheless the person taking the drugs/alcohol is the one who decides whether or not to ingest them. I believe everyone has a point of clarity where they question what they are doing and they then decide whether or not they've gone too far and need to stop, or they choose to cross the line and keep going. I truly think it's a choice people make. If anyone believes that it's a disease and people do not have control over their disease, then maybe they should be assigned an adult guardian to monitor them. I think if you do anything every day and it feels good to you, then you'll probably want to do it again and again and your body will then begins to crave it. I don't care whether it's crack or caffeine. In the end I think people are just looking for a way to feel good. I don't judge DJ AM for what happened, but he did make a choice. If you start thinking about something, spending time in the environment where that something takes place, then eventually you're going to want to act on it. It all starts in the mind.

janalal4

Really Mary?? I've been in recovery since 1992 & got into recovery because I WAS TIRED OF LIVING LIKE I WAS. If it hadn't been for people loving me & supporting me I would never stayed in recovery. Thank God nobody in my family had the attitude you have!! Recovery is about taking personal responsibility for your own actions. How do you get that I am making excuses?? I stated clearly above that once an addict get's into recovery that their choice to use again is their own choice. Managing your addiction becomes your responsibility. So where are you coming off with all this free pass crap?

janalal4

ES- Yes, there is a point in every addicts life when the desire to use becomes a compulsion. Call it a compulsion or call it a disease. That is not what I'm arguing here. I really don't care what it is called. What is important is that they crossed over from "wanting" to use & into "needing" to use. If you don't treat them(rehab or whatever works) & give them a set of skills to manage their "compulsion" then they will continue to use. Not because is is their CHOICE but because it has become something they are no longer capable of controlling on their own. And all the shame & blame in the world is not going to FIX them. So you support them by helping them get the treatment they need & the support they need to continue staying sober. This does not involve continuing to shame them & blame them when they don't do recovery PERFECTLY!!

barry Gordy is genius

TOMMY MOTTOLA assisted in Michael's death.
Read TOMMY MOTTOLA's wikipeida URL.
Investigate his trifling ass.