DJ AM -- Crack Was 'My Drug of Choice'

8/30/2009 4:41 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

There are several chilling quotes and clips popping up about DJ AM since he died, but listening to him call crack his "drug of choice" might be the most telling of them all.

In a recent interview with MTV News to promote his upcoming reality show about drug abuse, DJ AM talked about how he bought a crack pipe to show how easy it is. He said, "I bought a crack pipe ... that was my drug of choice. And I walked out and I'm holding it ... and then I realized after I was holding it that my palms were sweaty and I was like, 'Wait a minute, this is not smart for me to be holding this.'"

AM was found dead in his apartment Friday night of an apparent drug overdose. A law enforcement source told us they found a bag of crack by his body.

Money Talks

I keep wondering what happened to his beloved cat, did someone take care of him. Imagine the poor kitten living with a corpse for two whole days. Did he even have water to drink, a person on drugs will forget about feeding his cat or dog. Please God let someone take good care of that kitty.

Rex

First off, addiction is not a disease. Calling it a disease is the worst thing you can do, it creates excuses and takes the blame off the addict when they are the ones solely responsible for their drug use. Yeah some people take drugs to cope, but wouldn't they be aware that they're just going to cause more problems for themselves? Calling addiction a disease is an insult to people with real diseases. Addiction is not the worst ailment you can have, what about the obvious AIDS, cancer, and the like. Drug users bring it down on themselves and I have barely any sympathy for them and true disgust when they label their drug usage a "disease" like cancer.

janalal4

Amber- I truly wish you the best of luck. I do not know the severity of your situation & what you have done about it in regards to seeking treatment but if you have come to the realization that your "want" had become a "need" then I hope you are not trying to do this alone because chances are at this point it won't work. That is when I felt truly the most alone in my disease.(uhoh, there's that word again-now I"LL probably get slammed for that). That was the worst time for me is when I knew that I couldn't stop on my own but I hadn't told anyone that I thought I had a problem. I went on like that for a very long time & wish I hadn't. It just made my addiction take hold that much stronger & for a longer period of time. When I realized that there were people out there who knew how & what I was feeling then I knew then at least I didn't have to be so alone & then I began to have hope that if these people could recover then maybe so could I. But most of all I didn't have to live in my own head with the shame anymore. So this is my advice to you; if you feel that you are loosing your ability to make a choice about whether or not you drink or use then I would advise you to seek out help so you don't have to fight this battle all by yourself. I kept thinking I could beat it on my own & nobody would ever have to know. It doesn't work. If nothing else, try going to an AA meeting if you haven't already. Remember, you have nothing to lose by going. It's completely anonymous & if you feel it's not for you then you never have to go back! It really is that simple. My email is jlalewicz@gmail.com if you ever would like to talk off these boards about any of this. I wish you good luck & I truly hope that you have nothing to worry about here but the way you describe what your going through doesn't sound like the case. If you have actually put this much thought into it, chances are you may have a problem. Please contact me if you'd like to talk. Unfortunately or fortunately(depending on how you look at it!), I've got alot of experience here Amber!!

shan

Who cares how he died? He was still someones loved one. Think how you felt when you lost someone you were close to? Some of you people are heartless. Look at the entire picture not just the drugs!! Shows how many of you DON'T have class or even the mind to figure all that out! You know whats even funnier, probably half of you are druggies!! So keep your mouth shut and don't judge because you know you have skeletons in your closet!! Clean up your backyard before trashing someone elses!

janalal4

Oh "shan" good for you !! Git 'em!

shan

BVIDOT-Really?! He was a nobody? Then why does everyone know what he does and know who is? You are just as dumb as the comment you posted.

An addict's mother

I'm so glad that some of you addicts in recovery are speaking up here, loud and strong! I watched my daughter struggle for 30 years with her addiction, through treatment (several times), through severe diabetes, and then major health complications, always trying desperately to stay clean. After she cleaned up from her "drug of choice" (that's standard recovery jargon), she was in a nasty car accident and battled with pain medication - which awakens the cravings for the "drug of choice" once again. She was NOT an addict by choice, not once she got started on the drugs so many years ago. Once you start, if you have the tendency, you will have a hell of a time ever staying away from drugs, all your life. DON'T START! Unfortunately, my daughter didn't make it either and she died of an overdose just 2-1/2 mos. before DJ AM.

And to you ignorant haters, with no compassion and no heart, you are the truly PATHETIC creatures. GET A LIFE, and learn the facts before you judge!

the truth hurts huh

Mary P ---- You are EXACTLY RIGHT! There are many forms of help for addicts - but the SOLE DETERMINING FACTOR in kicking the addiction is for the INDIVIDUAL to make the CHOICE and COMMITMENT to QUIT.

+++++++

32. #9 - janalal. It is EXACTLY the attitudes like that, that enable drug users and TAKE THE BLAME away from them. Most drug addicts admit they feel no shame during using, therefore saying that we don't shame them and ACCEPT it, only lessens the liklihood they will get help.

Your entire post is exactly the reason why people stay addicted, because you make excuses and they are not held accountable for their actions! I'm a "legal" former addict based on some excrutiating pain I went through and a doctor who had no qualms doping me up with Rx'es. Not a single person held me accountable, and I was on Norco, Morphine, Vicodin and the like for almost two years "legally", it wasn't until *I* said I wanted to stop taking pills and stop jacking with my body that enough was enough. You can't force people who don't want to help themselves to do anything about their situation. I've now also quit smoking, because I said enough was enough - not because people "didn't shame me".

That type of shame is what is NEEDED to bring this crap back from the brink. Until someone feels bad enough for their actions, they assume no one is getting hurt, even if they won't admit it. We stopped "shaming" people for being obese and we are now the most obese nation on the planet and GROWING while obese related diseases are the leading killer of adults (and kids are dropping dead too). We stopped "shaming" fat people with an accept all, love all attitude and now people and the government spend TRILLIONS to combat the diseases. Now look where we are. A government that said that even if you are fat, even if it's your own fault, even if you've been advised for YEARS to stop drinking, you get the reward of someone else paying for your healthcare, AND the person who does take care of their body and life pays the exact same?

I'm sick of this PC, blame everyone else and stop upsetting the lazy, the uneducated, the addicted, the McDonald's lifers, the black, the orange, the white, the green and whatever else excuse there is. DJ AM had his own responsibility to take care of himself. He did not. He died. He even had more tools at his disposal than most addicts. Blaming a break up on his using is stupid. HE chose to use the break up as an EXCUSE to use. That's what almost everyone does when it comes down to dumb behavior... I need that toke off the crack pipe, because of what happened. He downed Red Bulls too - because he was telling himself it's okay to not take care of your body.

If I keel over tomorrow from a heart attack from the burgers and fries I eat, or lung cancer
from smoking, or if I get my hands on Norco and pop down a couple of pills, I expect NO ONE to feel sorry for me - because *I* was an adult and *I* made that decision.

Posted at 2:15PM on Aug 30th 2009 by Mary P

JOe

Who is DJ AM anyway? Never heard of him.

bvidot

Hey SHan - Bite Me!! You're a loser just like DJ AM. He was a F***** DJ, you moron! And an addict to boot. So tell me - are you just like him? Is he your idol?

A**hole!!

janalal4

Reality- Clearly you have not read my posts or you would know that I have said repeatedly that with love & support an addict can be encouraged to seek treatment usually in the form of an intervention(although I sure wouldn't want YOU or MARY P to do it for anyone I loved). Once the addict gets clean & has the tools they need to recovery then what they choose to do with them is up to them. One of the first things taught in recovery is that the addict must learn to be responsible for their action. If an addict does not want help then they will not get it. They cannot be shamed or belittled into or "TOLD THE ERROR OF THEIR WAYS" which is all some of you seem interested in doing. No addict ever got clean by being told what a piece of sh.. they are. Mary P seems to want to attribute to me things I did not say. Read my posts, it couldn't be any clearer.

#645732 - Cell Block H

To #78 bvidot- Not surprised your name almost spells idiot. Before you tell someone to bite you, you have to have something to bite you quarter inch pecker pounder. Now get back to your basement and write me back before your mama gets home. She should be home in about an hour. She's here sucking eight inches, bitch.

janalal4

An addict's mother- First, let me say that I am so very sorry for the loss of your daughter. You are exactly right, nobody ever CHOOSES to be an addict. You know this all too well having witness what your daughter went through. Nobody wants that kind of life & your daughter should be commended for her fight not scorned for having lost the battle. Addiction is a nightmare that nobody should have to endure. It is an endless struggle & it is daily work. I have never know anyone in my meetings who ever DID IT PERFECTLY! I've been clean since '92 & still have times when I desire to use. There have been times when I wished for some other illness because of the prejudice that addicts have to live with on a daily basis when they try to be honest with non-addicts about who they are. I'll guarantee you that the people who are "preaching the loudest" on this board & proclaiming to know all about addicts are the most ignorant in regards to addiction. I'm only sorry for the pain that their insensitive remarks may cause you. God Bless you for standing by your daughter when she needed you & for trying to understand what she was going through. Thank you for speaking up. AND TO ALL YOU HATERS, THIS WOMAN LOST HER DAUGHTER. DID IT EVER OCCUR TO YOU WHAT EFFECT THE THINGS YOU SAY MIGHT HAVE ON PEOPLE LIKE HER??

Nicole

janalal4, This argument is gonna go on forever. Agree to disagree and call it a night before we all turn to an addictive substance just to get thru this thread.

Where's Krazy Kooky when we need him?

Boing Boing/Toot Toot!

B

Seriously, who is this guy??? Never heard of him. What did he do? Besides DJ'ing