Chris Brown -- Shades of Watergate

8/31/2009 8:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

So how do you explain not remembering the little dispute you had with your girlfriend -- the dispute that made you a felon?

If you're Chris Brown, you explain it by saying that Larry King badgered you into amnesia.

Brown is reacting to a clip that was released in which he said he didn't remember beating Rihanna.

Here's his statement:

"There have been reports on the Internet that I didn't remember what happened that night with Rihanna. I want to try and set things straight.

That 30 seconds of the interview they used of me was taken from a one hour interview during which that same question was asked something like 4 or 5 times -- and when you look at the entire interview you will see it is not representative of what I said.

The first four times – or how ever many times it was - I gave the same answer -- which was that I didn't think it was appropriate for me to talk about what happened that night. I said it was not right for me and it really wasn't fair to Rihanna. The fifth time – or whatever it was – I just misspoke. I was asked, "Do you remember doing it?" and I said, "No."

Of course I remember what happened. Several times during the interview, my mother said that I came to her right afterwards and told her everything. But it was and still is a blur. And yes, I still can't believe it happened because it is not me or who I am or is what happened like anything I have ever done before.

As I have said several times previously, I am ashamed of and sorry for what happened that night and I wish I could relive that moment and change things, but I can't. I take full responsibility for my actions. What I have to do now is to prove to the world that this was an isolated incident and that is not who I am and I intend to do so by my behavior now and in the future
."

Joeb

Does he remember the other two times he hit her?

Libra

TMZ is on a mission to completely crush Chris Brown. I was watching TMZ (TV) and Harvey clearly hates Chris. He was hating on the guy because he was having fun. It's time to move on. Rihanna hit him too but yet is out there singing and being normal. I was glad that a guy stood up and said stop hating on him. I don't get it! Leave the guy alone for God's sake! He is young he made a mistake. Why trying to destroy him?

Libra

Some people on this forum are sick. Some are even saying he should kill himself. For what? For hitting back someone who hit him first? What he did is wrong. But Chris Brown is not the first. Y'all do like it's the first time you hear about these kind of incidents. Shame on TMZ for trying to destroy a young black man who made a mistake. Instead of Chris, if that was one of the Jonas Brothers, TMZ would not be posting crap like that and y'all would be defending him.

IJustCantBelieveIt

I meant to say there is nothing wrong with him having his mother around in the last sentence.You should just be quiet.And some people on here should really grow up,it's not that serious.

GREENJS2

hey look its the next ike tuner.

anon

What does he do for a living? Does he have a job?

janalal4

He belongs in jail. If my husband did this, he would be sitting in a jail cell.

jwoolman

They're both very young, and they both need help.

Rihanna needs help because she kept going back to him after police were called twice and all the other times when the police weren't called. If she doesn't learn to walk away from any guy that hits her, she (and/or her future children) will end up permanently injured or dead from such bad decisions. They always say they're sorry and it won't happen again. Repeatedly. She can't fix this problem inside a guy, she has to walk away and let him fix himself if he can.

Chris needs help because it has happened before and will happen again, and he still won't know why. One of these days, he might kill a woman (or a child) with that uncontrolled anger, and having a blurry memory won't save him. He needs fewer friends who tell him that he got a bad break from the bitch, and more friends who tell him he's got a serious problem and real men don't act that way.

anon

Another OJ in the making.

janalal4

I agree! Rihanna isn't all innocent in this either. She seems rather "explosive" herself. However, no excuse for a man hitting a woman. They can do too much damage. He should have just walked away if she was giving him grief. Rihanna kept going back to him & the next man she ends up with will probably be the same type of man & she's liable to end up getting hit again & doing the same thing. Keep going back. I think she'd be with Chris Brown right now if there wasn't a court order keeping them apart.

Teebag

What a load of BS. And what is up with the Earkle outfit anyway? Are we supposed to think that he's a schoolboy all innocent and pure? Give me a break. I hope his career grinds to a halt. Truly. Give someone else a chance at success that actually deserves it. He needs to go home to mommy and just disappear.

omfg

"blame it on the a-a-a-a-a-al-co-hol......"

chick

Will this guy ever run out of excuses? He should have gone on the show alone (without hiding behind his mother and lawyer) and spoken really frankly about what he had done.

isthatallthereis

yada yada yada, Do you really expect people to buy that?

A.B.

"What I have to do now is to prove to the world that this was an isolated incident"..

Prove to the world? What about even mentioning Rihanna in apologizing manner that statement?

I am part of the world, and I know people like Chris choose to batter, in the moment it happens. They are not overtaken by an alien forcing them to do evil things, they are doing it all by themselves, while they could have elected not to. Then they say sorry sorry and expect some kind of sympathy.

Not until Chris, and men like him, admit that they WANTED to beat her, wanted to scare and harm her, and enjoyed doing it, is there any chance of real change.