Chris Brown -- Shades of Watergate

8/31/2009 8:50 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

So how do you explain not remembering the little dispute you had with your girlfriend -- the dispute that made you a felon?

If you're Chris Brown, you explain it by saying that Larry King badgered you into amnesia.

Brown is reacting to a clip that was released in which he said he didn't remember beating Rihanna.

Here's his statement:

"There have been reports on the Internet that I didn't remember what happened that night with Rihanna. I want to try and set things straight.

That 30 seconds of the interview they used of me was taken from a one hour interview during which that same question was asked something like 4 or 5 times -- and when you look at the entire interview you will see it is not representative of what I said.

The first four times – or how ever many times it was - I gave the same answer -- which was that I didn't think it was appropriate for me to talk about what happened that night. I said it was not right for me and it really wasn't fair to Rihanna. The fifth time – or whatever it was – I just misspoke. I was asked, "Do you remember doing it?" and I said, "No."

Of course I remember what happened. Several times during the interview, my mother said that I came to her right afterwards and told her everything. But it was and still is a blur. And yes, I still can't believe it happened because it is not me or who I am or is what happened like anything I have ever done before.

As I have said several times previously, I am ashamed of and sorry for what happened that night and I wish I could relive that moment and change things, but I can't. I take full responsibility for my actions. What I have to do now is to prove to the world that this was an isolated incident and that is not who I am and I intend to do so by my behavior now and in the future
."

OhMy

This guy is a total IDIOT! He should just keep his mouth shut and stop making an a$$ of himself. YOUR A JERK CHRIS BROWN!!!!!

Holly

Rihanna shouldn't forgive him, and the world should never forget that he is a violent man. He will do this again, and next time the woman may not be so lucky. Stay away from him, Ladies! He is a psychopath.

Lawyer

Instead of dressing like one of the Melendez brothers, Chris should have dressed like the Cookie Monster for his Larry King interview.

Yeah, it's a darker blue outfit, but it would have gotten his point across better.

V

Love you Chris!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cpie

He f*&%# up...as violent as it was. I'm no fan, but usually both parties are taken in for domestic violence. Shouldn't Rihanna be taking some sort of anger management courses as well? Violence be it verbal/mental/physical is never ok for anyone.

Unimpressed..

Ever notice..everytime a chronic LIAR opens their mouth..more lies come out?

STFU already..No matter what you say..trying to control the damage you've already done..the public {who are way smarter than you & your handlers give them credit for} aren't buying it.

Close your mouth..SHOW everyone what you mean with your actions not your words.

If not..you'll never right your path.

A.B.

I man taking responsibility doesn't bring his Mom to an interview. A Mom wanting her son to grow up don't accompany him.

Saying you're sorry after the fact when the nasty thing goes to court is very easy - actually, you have no choice.

Women and girls on this board feeling sorry for him, wanting to give him a chance and pointing to Rihanna perhaps being no angel - you are headed in the totally wrong direction. Men like this are dangerous, and girls and buddies talking about physical abuse being just "making a mistake", and standing by him, are enablers. You are making sure he'll never understand the seriousness of his crime and he'll keep feeling sorry for himself.

He's not in love with Rihanna - he wants her around, which is a totally different thing. He is not safe to be with for anyone. He will most likely never change, but if he will, it will take a decade. Stay away from him.

shauna

what does his mom have to do with this??? god he is so immature. one day he was dancing and singing the next day in a crzy fight with a pop star..IDIOT"

Linda Mott

Why doesn't he try to sell some refrigerators to some Eskimos? (I mean to some North American Citizens)

NJ

Ahhhhhh....Ahhhhhhhh...AhhhhChooooBullshiitchoooooo....Chris go play in traffic and give it up its a fruitless attempt because you aint gonna never be back at the status you were at. Too many singers and auto tunes out here. Lol.....Go find millivanilli and hang out.Lol

doc murry

what a slimeball..i like how 2 nights before this he is rapper boy at the clubs dry humping a bunch of teens wannabes and now he looks like he on the mickey mouse club,,i kept expecting that bow tie to start spinning in circles,,so u gave a girl a smackdown ..admit it and go on ya punk..she was asking for it anyways..sometimes ya got to smack da bitch to keep them in line..i know i do.

kev the realist

You low life dirtbag, climb back under the rock you came from, Your ignorant and what the hell is up with that outfit ( your not trying out for some church choir) Do you think the public is stupid, 24 hours after your sentencing, your out tats showing and in a bar partying it up. Your an ahole and belong in jail. This garbage about domestic violence needs to stop and the best way if for judges and legislatures o demand minimum sentences. You possess a gun you get an automatic year in jail in most jurisdictions. You beat up a spouse ( male or female) and you should be sentenced to do hard time. Then maybe losers like this peice of crap wil learn a lesson. My bet is he ends up back in court pleading for a second and third chance and hopefully the next time (and I guarantee you he will violate his probation) I hope they lock him up. I did not do it, my Mom swears by me. Maybe she should tell the truth, you did it you should be in jail, your upbringing is NO EXCUSE, you MORON. You are a no talent hack.

mekmek

I really wish people would stop using the phase SNITCHIN! What...don’t you know there is two side to every story.
Chris is just trying to tell his side. How ya’ll just gone eaten Rihanna lying a*s up and not hear him out. You know she did more than she is saying... And I know would say it is not right for a man to hit a woman but it is equally wrong for a woman to hit a man. See that's the problem with today's woman...well some of us. We have gotten it in our heads that we can do anything we want to a man and if he steps wrong...oh we’ll just CRY he beat me up and get his a*s locked up. Yet never once taking responsibility for the part she played in the whole mess. This is really sad because it demeans the plight of those women out there who are really getting BEAT DOWN every day and cannot find a way out!

Lucia

I'd say he's lying but I'm afraid I would get my face smashed into a dashboard.....

Verna

If these shows like Larry King are going to tape their shows in advance and then edit them to air however they desire then what's the point in watching them. I think I'll just revert to the shopping channels. At least when you get screwed you are responsible if you purchase the product!