DJ AM's Death -- Not a Suicide

8/31/2009 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

DJ AMLaw enforcement sources directly connected with the death of DJ AM tell us that his death was the result of an accidental overdose and not a suicide -- and there is a tragic, ironic twist of fate.

Our sources say DJ AM, a recovering addict, developed a dependency to Xanax and other benzodiazepines (a group of drugs used to treat anxiety) as a direct result of the plane crash a year ago. We're told AM (aka Adam Goldstein) developed a tremendous anxiety over flying -- something he had to do frequently for his job.

We're told doctors began prescribing Xanax and other anti-anxiety medications to relieve his fear, but the benzos triggered a relapse into addiction. We're told benzos are particularly dicey for recovering addicts.

Our sources say DJ AM's relapse was "recent" -- he was not abusing for a prolonged period of time before his death.

We're also told the OD had "absolutely nothing to do with his recent breakup."

Our sources say the evidence strongly indicates cause of death will be a combination of crack cocaine and benzos.

janalal4

Diva- I understand what you mean. There are alot of "crappy" docs out there along with the good ones. I do think that there are alot of docs that are just generally "uninformed" when it comes to addiction. Alot of people in general seem to be uninformed. It just took me by surprise when you said this doc was an addictionologist. The one I see is like God to me. I know that sounds silly but when you've seen the number of counselors, therapists, etc. in an effort to deal with this sh..ty thing called addiction & finally find a doc who "get's it", it's pretty great! It's hard being an addict when so many people don't understand you or the "condition"(afraid to say the word disease 'cause I'll get jumped all over!) of addiction. Maybe it's not possible to understand unless you are one. Make's us a little touchy! LOL!

sue

apparently there was more to what was in his system if they are asking for more tests,and his autopsy was inconclusive,this is really sad that these people yet again giving meds to someone they shouldnt be giving to them.. its too bad he felt that need for the crack and all the street drugs that dont mix, being a celeb sure has become one of the most stressful and hard life to live up to....rip djAM-- sue from tampa

Diva

Also, I can't help but wonder why you chose to continue to work for someone who seemed to have violated your ethics so profoundly? As a nurse I was trained to be patient advocate. I would have blown the whistle or left the practice immediately.

Please note, I said "past" employer....I left the practice. I stayed as long as I did because I was the only one there who actually DID care about the patients. Sounds self-congratulatory, but true. Again, my apologies; the bitterness from a bad experience still rears its ugly head sometimes.
I hope there are addiction practitioners out there that truly care about their patients and wish them much success. DJ Am was someone I had read about many times, and I am sad to read of his relapse and subsequent death.

doc murry

she probably continued to work for him because he supplied her with good drugs to take after work...or she is having sex with him and wants to get pregnant by a dr so she is set for life,,typical female..

Mac

Who cares? Just another dead drug addict.

Diva

Jana, best of luck in your recovery. It is good to hear positive stories about the treatment of addiction! Also good to hear from health care professionals that really are dedicated to their profession.

doc murry

people... just because you have a drug problem doesnt make you a bad person,I have a drug problem and i'm not a bad person..I am an air traffic controller and I do go to work stoned out of my head..But im dealing with it day by day..my job is mostly computorized anyways so it not a problem.

Jack

To 39 You have it right. To 27 1mg for 20 years = All in your Head,LOL !!! You need at least 15mg for the Drug to work the
right way, and over time most people need more of the drug to
do the same thing. And everyone bitching about people that use drugs, are you the ones slamming down a glass or 2 of wine or smoking a LIL Pot ?? Its all the same thing

janalal4

Diva- Thank you! By the way I'm an addict & an R.N.(I think you said you were a nurse as well?) in recovery since '92. Sometime only by the skin of my teeth but I'm still clean & still here! Addiction really can happen to anybody out there. I NEVER imagined it would affect me in a million years.

Anna

Who did AM break up with before his death? Was it Lindsay Lohan?

janalal4

sue from Tampa?; I live in Tampa too. Town & Country!

N.M. RN

If this is true, Diva, I implore you to use your passion in a constructive way. Unfortunately, there are too many people who are unable to empathize with those suffering from addiction, which IS a disease. I wish you the best.

doc murry

i work in a food addiction clinic and you should see the fatsos coming in here saying i am addicted to food,,give me a break,,drugs i kind of understand being addicted to but food,,ha ha fat people are funny especially when they fall down and try and get up..

mike

janalal4

Ha!Ha! 15mg of Xanax???? What a funny guy you are! Might want to look Xanax up in the PDR!