DJ AM's Death -- Not a Suicide

8/31/2009 1:20 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

DJ AMLaw enforcement sources directly connected with the death of DJ AM tell us that his death was the result of an accidental overdose and not a suicide -- and there is a tragic, ironic twist of fate.

Our sources say DJ AM, a recovering addict, developed a dependency to Xanax and other benzodiazepines (a group of drugs used to treat anxiety) as a direct result of the plane crash a year ago. We're told AM (aka Adam Goldstein) developed a tremendous anxiety over flying -- something he had to do frequently for his job.

We're told doctors began prescribing Xanax and other anti-anxiety medications to relieve his fear, but the benzos triggered a relapse into addiction. We're told benzos are particularly dicey for recovering addicts.

Our sources say DJ AM's relapse was "recent" -- he was not abusing for a prolonged period of time before his death.

We're also told the OD had "absolutely nothing to do with his recent breakup."

Our sources say the evidence strongly indicates cause of death will be a combination of crack cocaine and benzos.

ikeaboy

Sounds like Adam got some terrible medical advice. No one who understands addiction would prescribe benzos for an addict. Fear of flying can be handled by not flying - adjusting your career is a lot less painful than replapse and death. This is tragic but certainly could have been avoided.

cjs

Survivors guilt, anxiety etc, such a shame.

charli0124

STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR DOPEHEADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Is this sad...yes. Is it an accident...no. He was a "recovering" drug addict. HE LOST. THE DRUGS WON. He's no different than thousands of other drug abusers. It aggravates the crap out of me with all these stupid excuses for these so called Famous people. They're dope fiends, so what if they have back pain...boo-hoo Paula Abdul, so what if they broke up with someone, so what if they have anxiety attacks. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???? WHO DOESN'T???? Does that mean you go off the deep end and get stoned out of your head to the point of KILLING yourself? I am so sick of the whiners. GET OVER IT!!! IT's LIFE...IT'S HARD. The weak fall and the strong are here to comment on it. I know plenty of people that abuse drugs and/or alcohol but that's their weak choice. Ohhhhhhhh it's a "disease" it's and "illness"...yeah eventually it is, but you were weak when you made that choice the first time. Stop making excuses for it. Drug abusers are the reason the ederly are killed in their homes at night, babies and children are raped when sold, families are destroyed and children grow up without their parents. I am soooooooooooo sick of this crap being justified. So what do you say now? Ohhhhh that's why he was smoking CRACK...the DOCTORS gave him a drug that got him addicted again? He was always addicted. He admitted it. You people make me sick.

Mark Proctor

As a recovering alcoholic/addict with 17 years of continuous sobriety, I speak only for myself. If it changes the way I feel, I will abuse it. I survived a small plane wreck and deal with chronic pain and anxiety (I have to fly for my business 4 to 6 times a week). I have been granted a daily reprieve contingent on maintaining a spiritual condition and doing what is necessary to stay sober today. My deepest sympathy goes to his friends and family.

Blog These

if the combo/amount of drugs in his body killed him... how do you know if it was an accident or on purpose

hes hot

I COMPLETELY agree with #115, Debbie. She is exactly right. If you are an addict, you always will be, whether you've stopped for good or not. Why does everyone feel sorry for these people. I am working three jobs to pay for my childrens schooling and household bills, but yet they have an easy life of spinning records, and we all feel sorry for him when he dies. You do drugs, eventually, they will kill you and I WILL NOT feel sorry for you no matter who you are. Do drugs, then die! These so called 'movie stars, etc.' that lvie in mansions, drive fancy cars, etc., make me sick. They are not all bad, but the majority have no idea what it is like to live in the real world. I have NEVER EVER did any drugs in my life, and I'm damn proud of it. Somedays, I think to myself, gosh life sucks because I'm tired of working all the time, with NO vacations, but at least my body is clean and so is my family.

hes hot

I meant to say #112, Debbie, NOT #115.

ME

ANOTHER DEAD DRUG ADDICT. GEE - IS THERE A PATTERN HERE.

Homie1Kanobe

In everyone elses death lately,Thet cannot make a decision until the toxiclogical report comes back. So for them to report it's not suicide is a little premature, until the report comes in, So todays statement is basicly HORSE MANURE

Diva

Diva- Thank you! By the way I'm an addict & an R.N.(I think you said you were a nurse as well?)
---------------------------------------
Yes, an RN as well, You're welcome, and I mean that with all my heart. My patients were/are important to me, and I'd like to think I made a difference to some of them.
All true, N.M., and I thank you for your good wishes. Many of my experiences have been good ones, I suppose it's the most recent ones that tend to stand out.

WHY?

Funny, when its a white person it is a accident. When it was MJ you guys said such horrible things about him. Damn life is really funny.

Laurie

How can they determine that it was NOT suicide? I realize there are accidental OD but no one knows what was going on in his head while he was home by himself. I'm not saying it was or wasn't accidental, I'm just saying there in NO possible way an outsider can determine that. Not everyone leaves suicide notes...think about it.

janalal4

Debbie- I must be GREAT to be you !

A

106--

How are you actually useful at this clinic when you are so ignorant and uninformed? To be extremely rudimentary, studies suggest that both food addiction and chemical addiction have been linked to an increase of dopamine in the brain, which makes these things so pleasurable.

107--

The maximum daily dose of Xanax is 4mg, in divided doses. 15mg is a crazy amount for a normal person LOL!!!

Pickle

It wasn't a suicide, It was a stupicide!