Michael Jackson's Tigers in the Line of Fire

9/1/2009 1:10 PM PDT BY TMZ STAFF

Two of Michael Jackson's tigers are currently living in an animal sanctuary right near the massive wildfire burning in California -- but despite mandatory evacuations in the area, they're not going anywhere.

Sabu & Thriller
We just spoke to the VP in charge of operations at Shambala Preserve -- owned by "The Birds" star Tippi Hedren -- who tells us "We house 64 big cats and it would be a logistical nightmare to bring all these cats down the road and get in the firefighters way of doing their job."

Two of those 64 cats: Thriller and Sabu (seen above), who were once owned by Michael Jackson. We're told the animals are fine and "don't even realize the commotion around them."

All the employees at the Preserve will be riding out the fire with the animals. As for supplies, they have water tanks, pumps, hoses, generators and a "fridge full of food."

northern gypsy

it beg's the question...wild animals..should be in the wild...
why people think it's ok to have as pets...is beyond me !!!
thank goodness for people like T.H.

janalal4

Ughh!! Love Michael but have to agree; WILD ANIMALS SHOULD BE IN THE WILD!! I won't even go to the circus anymore & am raising my kids to understand & do the same.

Kerry

What a position to be in. 65 cats? Wow! Tippi is an angel for taking care of them. I can only imagine what Tippi and her staff must be thinking. I hope it all works out well whatever they decide to do.

ilovemichael

janalal I agree wholeheartedly and I teach my kids the same--no zoos, no circus and no "domestic" animals. I believe very strongly that there is a link between all sorts of enslavements adn we need to stop it all now.

ilovemichael

Sorry, my posting didn't go out the first time and I have to redo it and now it's there.

Michael Jackson

Maybe MJ can swoop down from heaven (I say more like swoop up from hell) and save them. The Jacko Wackos out there seem to think that MJ can/could do everything else.

denise

i pray that their alright,because i love animals.
and want anything bad to happen to them.

sue

it doesnt matter who the animals belong to ,because as we all know that is another issue to argue of them being mjs... they just need to bring them to safety!!!! rip mj-sue from tampa

danica

Was this story really necessary. I mean, seriously?

Lippy Loo

Please pray for those beautiful animals! They need to do everything they can to save them.

harmony

what a cute picture.i love tigers.get those tigers out of there.i wish people would stop calling michael jacko wacko.it makes me sad.rip michael.

Missy

They are so cute! I know Thriller and Sabu and the rest will be safe,they have God and MJ watching over them from heaven!

RIP Michael

Andie

Do your research people...you can't always trust TMZ to be the most credible news source providing ALL of the information. I have been to the the Shambala Preserve and what TMZ fails to mention is that the reason they have chosen to stay at this time is for the safety of other PEOPLE living in the area. The Preserve is located off a road that is literally two lanes...they would completely block traffic trying to get 64 large cats out of there, not to mention all of the smaller animals they have. They do have vehicles standing by to get these animals out if it's absolutely necessary. They also have routine fire drills every six weeks, they are as prepared as they can be...Tippi's first priority is those animals! So don't talk about things you don't know...and I want to add that although I have mad respect for MJ and miss him dearly...he abandoned those two Tigers. When he left Neverland he only supplied enough food for ONE month...and no pay for the employees...the employees stayed for a YEAR with no pay...and took great care of those animals with their own money. Shambala is a wonderful place that takes care of these amazing animals, many of which have been abused and abandoned.

blue pen

Where do they think that fire is going? Get out fools!

Michael Jackson

Harmony, I call MJ Wacko Jacko. I call MJ's brain dead fans Jacko Wackos. I hope that clarification makes you not as sad.

Previous 15 Comments | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | Most Recent | Next 15 Comments